COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: High Risk

W-3 Small Meter Sizing Worksheet

The W-3 worksheet is used to determine the correct meter size for all fixtures (such as sinks, toilets, and hose bibs) served by a meter.

On this page

When is the W-3 worksheet used? 

The W-3 worksheet is used to determine what size a water meter needs to be. You must fill out a W-3 worksheet if you are making a voluntary meter request; if you’re building a new single-family residence (NSFR), new rowhouse or townhouse, or a new accessory dwelling unit (ADU); if you’re adding a fourth (or more) toilet to a single-family residence; or if there is a change in use of an existing structure.

The W-3 worksheet must be submitted to the Water Available group in the Water Bureau. The Water Available group reviews water meters and water services on building permits for the City. Information on how to fill out and submit the W-3 worksheet is below.

Steps for completing the W-3 worksheet

  1. Enter how many of each fixture the unit will have.
  2. The W-3 worksheet can be used for one or two units. Add the fixture quantities together if you’re using the worksheet for two units.
  3. Multiply each fixture’s total quantity by that fixture’s multiplier to determine the total fixture value.
  4. Add all total fixture values for the unit’s grand total fixture value. This is marked as “GTF value” on the worksheet.
  5. Use the GTF value to find the meter size on the reference chart on the reverse side of the form.

When is additional material required?

When the meter has been correctly sized using the W-3 worksheet, the Water Available group will review the size of your existing meter and water service line from the water main to the meter.

If the water service line is found to be undersized, a new service line will need to be installed by the Portland Water Bureau. In this case, you must first submit a scalable site plan that identifies the location of the new service line. The location of your new service line must meet the site plan requirements outlined below. Your site plan will need to show the separations between water services, hydrants, sewer lines, underground utilities, trees, power poles, and guy-wires.

Separation and site plan requirements for water service installations

Your site plan must meet all the following requirements per Title 21, OAR 333, TRN 9.07 and 10.19, and NCES Section 231.

Site plan requirements and water meter location:

  • The site plan must be scalable and legible with all utilities in the right-of-way properly labeled. The site plan must also show property lines at the right-of way or perpendicular to the right-of-way.
  • New water meters may not be placed in driveway wings.
  • Water services must be perpendicular to the water main for the entire portion of the public right-of-way.
  • The water meter should be adjacent to the curb in the public right-of-way.
  • A new water meter may not be installed in the same location as an existing service.
  • New and existing water services should be labeled “existing water service” on the site plan. Proposed services should be labeled “proposed water service.”

Utility locate requirements:

  • All utilities in the right-of-way within the development property’s frontage must be located through 811, One Call. You (the applicant) will need to provide the locate ticket number if requested for verification.

Multiple meters 

The Water Available group allows multiple meters on a single tax lot. To help you determine the costs associated with shared or separate meters, review the cost comparison charts on page 2 of the W-3 worksheet.

Submitting a W-3 worksheet

If you have a building permit, submit your W-3 worksheet with your building permit application through the Bureau of Development Services (BDS).

If a W-3 worksheet was requested on a checksheet, submit your W-3 worksheet through the BDS checksheet response process.

For voluntary meter requests, the W-3 worksheet and additional material can be submitted to the Water Available group by email, by mail, or in person.

How do I schedule the work?

Work can be scheduled after you pay your fees.

For building permits, fees are added to building permits and are paid when the building permit is issued.

For a voluntary meter request, Water Available will give you a fee statement with instructions on how to pay the fees.

For meter upsizes, the installation will be scheduled by the Water Available group after you have paid all associated fees. 

For water service lines, you can schedule the installation two business days after paying your fees. Standard installations for small services are typically performed within 15 business days of being scheduled.

To schedule your installation, contact Water Bureau Maintenance & Construction Coordinators: 

Forms and resources