Most City offices closed Wednesday, June 19, to observe Juneteenth

The City of Portland recognizes Juneteenth as a formal day of remembrance to honor Black American history and the end of slavery in the United States. Learn about Juneteenth.

Residential Meter Request Form

Use the Residential Meter Request Form to report information to the Water Development Services team about the water needs of your residential development project.
On this page

The information on this web page pertains only to single and multi-family residential development. All non-residential development (retail or industrial, for example) must have water service meter sizing reviewed using the existing W-4 form. 


Residential meter sizing is now based on Appendix M of the 2023 Oregon Plumbing Specialty Code (OPSC).

Traditionally the Portland Water Bureau required meter sizes to be based on 2017 OPSC Table 610.3 plumbing code guidelines, which lists total “fixture units” for various domestic fixtures. 

Recently, the Water Bureau has received requests to adopt the new flow demand methodology based on the 2023 OPSC, Appendix M. 

Appendix M of the OPSC is an updated method of calculating peak water demand for residential uses. It assumes water efficient fixtures are being used and accounts for the probability of concurrent fixture use. The new flow demand methodology often results in a smaller and more affordable meter size for the intended use, compared to the traditional “fixture unit” methodology. 

The Water Bureau Engineering Services Group has researched and investigated the new meter sizing guidelines and has adopted the 2023 OPSC Appendix M (and subsequent updates) flow demand methodology as standard procedure for meter sizing for residential and housing use.

Development review of new permits by Water staff will now allow all residential applications (including multi-family projects) to size water meters based on 2023 OPSC Appendix M. 

The new Residential Meter Request Formis  used to report information to the Portland Water Bureau about water needs for all residential development.

When is the Residential Meter Request Form used? 

The Residential Meter Request Form is used to report information to the Water Development Services team regarding the water needs of your residential development project. 

If you’re building a new single-family residence (NSFR), new rowhouse or townhouse, or a new accessory dwelling unit (ADU), you will supply the information when you complete the online application. 

If you’re building an addition or alteration to an existing residential structure, you will need to submit a completed Residential Meter Request form if your project meets one or more of the following conditions:

  • Adding a fourth (or more) toilet
  • Adding one or more dwelling unit(s) (e.g., converting an existing attic to an ADU, or converting one two-bedroom apartment into three studio apartments)
  • Adding new plumbing to an existing detached structure (e.g., putting a sink into a detached garage to make an art studio)
  • Changing the occupancy of part of an existing structure in a multi-family dwelling (e.g., converting storage space to living space)

If you are requesting a new or larger meter for a residential structure, you must complete the Residential Meter Request Form to make a Voluntary Meter Request even if you don't need a building permit. 

Steps for completing the Residential Meter Request Form

  1. The Residential Meter Request Form can be used for any development serving exclusively residential uses, including apartment buildings.
  2. Complete the entire top section.
  3. Visit the IAPMO website, download and Use the IAPMO Water Demand Calculator to determine your water flow demand.
    1. If you have any hose bibs, Appendix M suggests adding 2GPM (gallons per minute) to your total calculated flow demand at the end.
  4. Print a PDF of the results and save them for submitting with the Residential Meter Request Form.
  5. Complete the Fixture Reporting chart with the same data you put into the IAPMO Water Demand Calculator.
  6. Use the Flow Demand – Meter Size chart provided to determine the correct meter size for your project.
  7. Complete the Meter Table with the requested meter sizes and other information.

When is additional material required?

After the Residential Meter Request Form has been completed and submitted, the Water Development Services group will review the size of your existing meter and water service line from the water main to the meter.

If the water service line is found to be of adequate size but your meter is undersized, a meter upsize will be required. No site plan is required for this type of meter upsize; however, there will be installation and SDC charges associated with the meter upsize.

If the water service line is found to be undersized, a new service line will need to be installed by the Portland Water Bureau at the property owner's or developer's expense. In this case, your building permit plans must include a scalable site plan that identifies the location of the new service line. The location of your new service line must meet the site plan requirements outlined below. Your site plan will need to demonstrate minimum clearances from all existing and proposed above and below ground utilities and structures such as water services, hydrants, sewer lines, trees, power poles, guy-wires, etc.

Residential Sample Site Plan

Separation and site plan requirements for water service installations

Your site utility plan must meet all the following requirements per Portland City Code Title 21OAR 333TRN 9.07, and 10.19.

  • To obtain underground utility information for your site utility plan, contact 811, Oregon Utility Notification Center. Keep your locate ticket number. You may be asked to provide it to the Water Development Services group during the permit review process.
  • The site utility plan must be scalable and legible, showing all existing and proposed utilities and features, properly labeled, in the right-of-way. Show the whole street (curb to opposite curb) running along the entire length of the property frontage. Include easements, right-of-way lines, property lines, and curb lines (on both sides of the street). Show utilities serving both sides of the street.
  • New water meters may not be placed in driveway wings.
  • Water services must be perpendicular to the water main for the entire portion in the public right-of-way.
  • The water meter should be adjacent to the curb in the public right-of-way.
  • A new water service cannot be installed in the same location as an existing service.

Multiple meters 

The Water Development Services group allows multiple meters on a single tax lot. To help you determine the costs associated with shared or separate meters, review the cost comparison chart on the last page of the Residential Meter Request Form or refer to the Water Fee Schedule for additional information.

Submitting a Residential Meter Request Form

If you have a building permit, submit your Residential Meter Request Form with your building permit application through the Bureau of Development Services (BDS).

If a Residential Meter Request Form was requested on a checksheet, submit your your Residential Meter Request Form through the BDS checksheet response process.

For voluntary meter requests, the Residential Meter Request Form and additional material can be submitted directly to the Water Development Services group.

How do I schedule the work?

Work can be scheduled after you pay your fees.

For building permits, fees are added to building permits and are paid when the building permit is issued.

For a voluntary meter request, Water Development Services will give you a fee statement with instructions on how to pay the fees.

For meter upsizes, the installation will be scheduled by the Water Development Services group after you have paid all associated fees. 

For water service lines, you can schedule the installation two business days after paying your fees. Standard installations for small services are typically performed within 15 business days of being scheduled. To schedule your installation, contact Water Bureau Maintenance & Construction Coordinators: 

When to use the W-3 form and fixture unit methodology

The W-3 form may be more appropriate for residential projects that don’t include water-efficient appliances and fixtures. Please consult your plumbing professional for guidance on which methodology is best for your project.

Forms and resources


Water Permit Review Staff

Water building permit review & SDC questions

Water Bureau Maintenance & Construction Coordinators

Schedule installation of water service lines 2” and smaller

Water Service Installation and Scheduling

Schedule installation of service lines 3” & larger; hydrants