Ready to build your experience in community outreach and communications?
Do you enjoy learning about Native American lifeways?
Interested in community resilience, public health and environmental protection?
If your answers are yes, you may be the Communications Student Intern we are looking for!
Water is essential to life, central to Indigenous culture, and central to the mission of the Portland Water Bureau. The Bureau is seeking a student intern to join the Communications Team to assist in outreach and engagement efforts to strengthen connections with diverse Native communities in the Portland region.
As part of a team, you will support activities related to project outreach and help prepare digital and print communications materials for customers and partners, with a focus on opportunities to honor Native American traditions and lifeways.
Specific tasks may include:
- Working closely with Water Staff to develop and implement community engagement plans, including using strategies and tactics to reach historically underserved populations
- Reviewing project materials and communications for opportunities to increase representation of Indigenous language and culture
- Preparing written materials to support customer and outreach
- Supporting in-person and virtual outreach activities such as meetings and community events
- Helping coordinate responses to questions and correspondence from community members
- Tracking deadlines to meet internal and external project deliverables and requests
- Supporting analysis and reporting on outcomes of outreach activities
A combination of education or lived experience that includes:
- Knowledge of Native American history, issues surrounding the urban Indigenous experience, and understanding of the diverse Native communities in the Portland region
- Experience working with organizations and community members from diverse backgrounds and cultures (specifically with Native American communities and organizations in Oregon)
- Experience or interest in community and partner engagement processes to support water infrastructure
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including interpersonal communication
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs with ability or interest in learning other applications and web-based programs (social media tools, graphic design software)
- Experience working in customer or client service and/or the public sector
Term: Approximately 20 hours per week with scheduling flexibility. This position does not include medical benefits or vacation time.
Currently, employees are working from home using a laptop and supplies provided by the Portland Water Bureau. This position will report to the Portland Building, 600 SW 4th Ave., Portland, OR 97204, on a hybrid schedule at least one workday every two weeks. As the situation evolves, the exact work location of the position in this recruitment may change based upon leadership direction and approval.
Any combination of education and experience that is equivalent to the following minimum qualifications is acceptable.
- Must be a student enrolled in a trade school training program, college or university undergraduate or graduate program within the past 3 months.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per City / State mandate or have an approved exception by date of hire.
- Ability to learn and operate a variety of computer software programs to record and analyze data, maintain files, and prepare maps, plans, records, graphics, documents, and reports.
- Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures for maintaining and setting up both manual and electronic files.
- Ability to work independently in the office or at home.
In your cover letter, please outline your knowledge, skills, and abilities. Use specific examples of:
- Skill Interpersonal communications skills to communicate with people who have a variety of Writing skills, including the ability to use plain language.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office & Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams, and more).
- Ability to learn about communicating with a variety cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work.
Send your cover letter to email@example.com to learn how to apply.