Microsoft CrowdStrike software outage

911 is operating as normal. Some City of Portland systems were impacted. Call 3-1-1 or 503-823-4000 to help answer questions, take non-emergency reports, or make connections with City staff.

Submit a hazardous materials inventory for the Groundwater Protection Program

If you're a business owner, operator, or tenant located in the Columbia South Shore Well Field, you can find the required hazardous materials reporting resources here.

One hour or less

On this Page

Who needs to submit a hazardous materials report to the Portland Water Bureau

Business owners, operators, or tenants who are regulated under the Groundwater Protection Program are required to:

  • declare hazardous materials with a development permit, and
  • annually report the amounts of chemicals they use and store on site.

Submitting a hazardous materials inventory with a development permit

If you are a developer or property owner applying for a City development permit within the protection area boundary, you are required to include a Hazardous Materials Declaration and Inventory form with your permit application.

This form is only to be used with permit applications and is not intended for use by existing regulated businesses to report their hazardous materials every year.

The City will determine if you are subject to the Groundwater Protection Program's regulations as part of the development review process. If we determine that you are regulated by the program, you will need to follow the City's requirements for regulated businesses.

Annual reporting online for regulated businesses

Report your hazardous chemicals

Existing regulated businesses are required to file an annual report online with the City listing the hazardous materials used or stored at their facility. Reporting reminders are sent each fall by the Cities of Portland, Gresham, and Fairview. Annual reports cover January 1 through December 31 and must be filed no later than 30 days after the end of the year. Businesses may submit their annual report at any time during the reporting year. If your hazardous materials inventory has not changed since the last annual report, it is as simple as clicking a few buttons.

Information you'll need for your report

  • The business name, location, and contact details
  • The name of the product that contains a regulated chemical, as it appears on the label (for example, use "Xtra Seal Rubber Prep" rather than "buffing solution")
  • The CAS (Chemical Abstract Service) number for each regulated chemical
    • If you don't know a product's CAS number, use "400" for non-fuel petroleum products and "450" for petroleum fuels
  • Whether the chemical is a liquid or a solid
  • The maximum quantity of the chemical you typically have at your business
  • The type of container the chemical is stored in
  • Whether the chemical is stored indoors or outdoors
  • A facility site plan that shows the locations of hazardous materials, transportation routes, storm drains, dry wells, and emergency spill containment and clean-up kits

Need help filling out your form or filing your annual report online?

Watch a video walk-through explaining how to use the online annual reporting system or view our quick start guideCheck out our frequently asked questions page for more information. 

This presentation walks businesses through the process of submitting their annual hazardous materials report.