Memorial Day closure

Most City of Portland offices will be closed Monday, May 27, in observance of Memorial Day.

How to appeal your sewer, stormwater, and water bill

Please email or call us if you have a concern about your bill. If we can’t resolve your concern, you may file a formal, written appeal to the Administrative Review Committee at no cost.

Writing and sending an appeal takes about 30 minutes.

How to appeal your bill

If you have an issue with your bill or account, first email us or call 503-823-7770 to see if a Customer Service Representative can help. If they are not able to resolve your issue or concern, you have the right to file a written appeal with the Administrative Review Committee.

To appeal, write down:

  • a summary of your issue or concern;
  • the specific remedy you are requesting; and
  • the steps or effort you have taken to resolve the issue.

You can submit your written appeal by email ( or mail a printed copy to the following address:

City of Portland Customer Service
1120 SW 5th Ave., Suite 405
Portland OR 97204

The Administrative Review Committee meets each month. You do not have to be present at the meeting when the committee reviews your appeal. After the Administrative Review Committee meets and reviews your appeal, they will send you their decision in writing.

About the Administrative Review Committee

The Administrative Review Committee meets monthly to review billing appeals. The committee has three members:

  • one representative from the Portland Water Bureau, confirmed by the Commissioner-in-Charge
  • one representative from the Bureau of Environmental Services, confirmed by the Commissioner-in-Charge
  • one member of the Portland Utility Board

Administrative Review Committee meetings are open to the public. See the sidebar for information about upcoming public meetings.