Do You Need a Permit?
Did you determine that you need a private tree pruning permit?
- Topics include:
- If the tree is native and in a regulated Overlay zone or Plan District
- Exceptions and qualifications
- Allowed and prohibited pruning activities
For Street or Heritage tree pruning applications, go here instead.
Have a practicing Certified Arborist prepare a Pruning Plan
These are individuals with:
- Relevant education and training in arboriculture or urban forestry
- And must currently have one of the following credentials:
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) Certified Arborist
- American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA) Registered Consulting Arborist
- Local Tree Care Providers
- Tips for Hiring an Arborist
Download and Complete Application
Fill out the application below completely and legibly and send by email or mail. All information is required.
Private tree pruning permits are not self-issuable.
Only an owner of the property or the owner's designee may apply for a private tree pruning permit. Request a private tree pruning permit one of the following ways:
- Call us to request a paper Private Tree Pruning Permit Application; OR
- Download the Private Tree Pruning Permit Application