When is a Tree Removal and Replanting Permit Required?
- Street trees: A permit is required to remove any street tree.
- Except for sucker shoots or self-sown trees that are less than 1/2 inch in diameter. Learn to measure the diameter.
- Staff will let the applicant know if the property is in a regulated historic or environmentally sensitive zone or plan district, additional requirements may apply.
- Private trees:
- Generally a removal permit is needed for trees 12 inches diameter at 4.5 feet tall (DBH) and larger. Use the link directly below to:
Please carefully review the standards and review factors prior to applying.
- Street Trees: Title 11.40.040
- Private Trees: Title 11.40.050
Download and Complete Applications
Need Help Using Electronic Documents?
Below are more instructions should you need them for the application process.
This form is only if you run out of space on the above application ( rare) and need a "Supplemental Page"
List of forms that sometimes apply.
To be used along with a Tree Removal & Replanting Permit Application for private property trees that are less than 20 inches in diameter on a site that is in a regulated plan district or overlay zone.
The Replanting Waiver Application is used when you want to count all the remaining existing trees on the property towards Title 11 density requirements to not have to replant a tree. This is an optional application with $100 non-refundable fee. Determinations based on density standards.
The required replacement trees are being planted at or adjacent to a property different than the tree removal property
(Note: you will need to log-in (or first create) a City of Portland Account before using the online system.)
Instructions for navigating the Development Hub ( DevHub) application: