Chemical Treatment Permits - Frequently Asked Questions

On this page

When is a Permit Required?

Application and Instructions

Only an owner of the property adjacent to the planting strip, or the owner's designee, may apply for a street tree permit. 

Timeline and Process

Once an application is received and deemed complete it will be processed to a Tree Inspector who will perform an on-site inspection.  If the Tree Inspector needs more information or wishes to discuss the application, they will contact the applicant. The Tree Inspector will make a permitting decision and send a Notice of Decision to the applicant.

Qualifying for a Permit

Permits for chemical treatment are issued when tree conditions warrant the intervention.

Only products found on the Urban Forestry Approved list (Pg. 82) in the Parks Integrated Pest Management Program will be approved. 

All persons who apply or supervise the use of chemical applications in the maintenance of right-of-way trees must have an active pesticide applicator license issued by the State of Oregon Department of Agriculture.

All applicators must abide by all federal, state, and city code regulations for chemical applications. All product labels for application, storage and disposal shall be followed as prescribed on the product. Only proper arboriculture application is permitted and the ANSI A300 tree fertilization standards shall be followed.

Apply for a Chemical Treatment Permit

Read the Tree Code, Title 11