Free Trees For Your Yard
More than 1,700 trees were given away in 2021! Registration is now closed.
Interested in getting free trees for your yard? Sign up here to be alerted when registration for Yard Tree Giveaway 2022 opens!
- Trees must be planted on private property inside Portland city limits.
- Trees cannot be planted as street trees.
- Trees may not be used to fulfill the requirements of a permit.
- Limit 2 free trees each year per address.
Trees provide essential services for all Portlanders. Planting trees in yards keeps us and our homes cool during the hottest months and helps collect stormwater during the winter. They also clean the air, buffer noise, reduce crime and improve our mental and physical health. On top of all of this, they provide year-round beauty.
- Trees must be planted within City of Portland corporate boundaries
- Limit of two trees per household
- Trees are for planting on private property in front, side, or back yards (trees may not be planted in containers or in the sidewalk as street trees)
- Trees are not to be used for planting permit requirements
Available Trees and Species Lists
We offer a variety of trees ranging from medium to large in size and include native, conifer, evergreen, and deciduous species. All trees should fit in a car/truck or make a nice companion on the bus! When choosing a species, please consider the available space in your yard for roots and branches as well as how much sun your yard gets each day.
Click below to see the full list of trees available at the year's Yard Tree Giveaway.
Yard trees should be planted a minimum of 10 feet from any side of your house, two feet from property lines or five feet from a driveway or water meter. For advice on where in your yard to plant your tree, check out Right Tree, Right Place from the Arbor Day Foundation.
Planting and Care
We’ll send you home with a free watering bucket filled with mulch and educational materials to show you how to properly plant and care for your tree. You can view and print the information on how to plant and care for your tree here:
Free Planting and Delivery for People Who Need an Accommodation
Portland Parks & Recreation Urban Forestry will provide yard tree delivery and planting for Portlanders with limited mobility or need an accommodation. Let us know how we can help.
Are you interested in getting the word out about free yard trees in your neighborhood?
Do you have a large parking lot that could be used for an event location?
Do you have a group wanting to volunteer at one of our events?
Contact Molly Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-823-4963.