What is the Transportation Wallet?
The Transportation Wallet is a strategy to bundle multimodal transportation incentives - for use on transit, streetcar, bike-share, scooter-share, and sometimes on taxis or TNCs (like Uber and Lyft) or car-share.
The Transportation Wallets are a key demand management strategy to encourage people to drive less, try new travel modes, manage on-street parking demand, reduce issuances of parking permits, and alleviate the burdens of transportation costs for people living on low-incomes.
Currently, the universe of Transportation Wallets is made up of three sub-programs:
- Transportation Wallet in Parking Districts
- Transportation Wallet for Residents of Affordable Housing pilot (transitioning to Transportation Wallet: Access for All by spring 2023)
- Transportation Wallet for New Movers
PBOT's Transportation Wallet Programs
1. Transportation Wallets in Parking Districts
What: The Transportation Wallet in Parking Districts provides a deeply discounted transportation options package for residents and employees in the Northwest and Central Eastside Parking Districts. It is designed to reduce parking demand and single occupancy vehicle usage while simultaneously increasing use of transit services, shared micro-mobility, and car-sharing.
Eligibility: Available to residents and employees in the Northwest and Central Eastside Parking Districts. How participant receives the wallet:
- Purchase for $99 (87% off retail cost of transportation passes)
- Trade in parking permit and receive for free
- Qualify for TriMet’s Low Income Transit Fare and receive for free
What's in the Wallet: Contents vary per year
- TriMet Hop card $175 (Northwest Parking District) or $200 (Central Eastside Parking District)
- Annual Portland Streetcar pass
- $99 BIKETOWN bike-share credit
- $30 scooter credits ($10 each on Bird, Lime, and Spin scooter companies)
- $30 Free2Move car-share credit
2. Transportation Wallet for Residents of Affordable Housing pilot
What: The Transportation Wallet for Residents of Affordable Housing is a pilot program in partnership with select affordable housing sites to offer a package of FREE transportation options, like transit passes, bike or scooter-share ride credit, and rideshare (Uber/ Lyft) or taxi ride credit.The program is focused on reducing the barriers to using transportation options, like cost, technology access, credit/debit card requirements, and low-income verification processes for different providers.
(The pilot phases of the Transportation Wallet for Residents of Affordable Housing have ended. Currently, PBOT staff are developing an expanded, ongoing Transportation Wallet: Access for All program to serve people and households living on low-incomes to be launched in Spring 2023. Learn more about Transportation Wallet: Access for All)
Eligibility: Available to residents that live in one of the housing partner affordable housing sites.
What's in the Wallet: There are three options for people to choose from:
- Option 1: Transit Only (individual) – Annual pass loaded on an Honored Citizen Hop Card.
- Option 2: All Modes (individual) - $200 on Hop Card and $75 on Visa Pre-Paid Card for Uber/Lyft/Taxi, e-scooter, and BIKETOWN for All.
- Option 3: All Modes (household) – depending on household size $225 - $300 on Hop Card and $100 - $175 on Visa Pre-Paid Card for Uber/Lyft/Taxi, e-scooter, and BIKETOWN for All
Next Steps: In 2023 the Transportation Wallet for Residents of Affordable Housing pilot will become a permanent program - Transportation Wallet: Access for All and will offer the same package for people and households living on low-incomes.
3. Transportation Wallet for New Movers
What: The Transportation Wallet for New Movers program provides transportation credits and information to residents of some of Portland's new multi-unit buildings.
Eligibility: People moving into the new multi-family buildings – more than 10 new units in certain zones (commercial mixed-use and multi-dwelling zones permitted after May 2018).
What's in the Wallet: Three options:
- $100 Hop card + $100 BIKETOWN credit
- $100 Hop card + $100 in Adaptive BIKETOWN coupons
- TriMet Honored Citizen Annual Pass (a $308 value)