Portland has an enviable public transit system for a city of our size. TriMet buses, MAX Light Rail, Portland Streetcar, and even the Portland Aerial Tram make it easy to travel without a car.
Public transit is often the best and most convenient way to access many popular destinations, since parking can be challenging and expensive. It’s also a great way to reclaim personal time to catch up on emails, read or just gaze out the window when you let someone else do the driving.
Portland public transit systems
- TriMet bus and MAX Light Rail - Frequent service across the region.
- Portland Streetcar - Operates three lines around 16 miles of track in Portland's central city.
- Portland Aerial Tram - From South Waterfront to Marquam Hill, enjoy sky-high views of Portland and beyond.
- ACCESS Shuttle - Connects Cully neighborhood to Cornfoot, Alderwood and Parkrose/Sumner, weekday mornings and afternoons.
- Swan Island Shuttle - Connects Swan Island to the Rose Quarter Transit Center, weekday evenings.
- Washington Park Shuttle - Circulates within Washington Park, which can be accessed by MAX Red and Blue lines.
Tools for planning your route
- Call 503-238-RIDE (7433) to talk with a real person (7:30am - 5:30pm daily).
- TriMet Online Trip Planner
- Get There - Statewide tool for mixing and matching different transportation options including carpooling.
- Google Maps
- The Transit App (iPhone and Android)
- PDX Bus (iPhone only)
What to know for your first trip
- Overview - First-timer's guide to TriMet public transit system.
- Paying - Costs and how to pay.
- Honored Citizen Fare - Find out if you qualify.
- Track arrivals - Available online, by text, and by phone.
- Accessibility features - Know what features to look for including boarding ramps, audio instructions, large print schedules.
Text TriMet customer service number, 503-238-7433 - Save in your phone to reach customer service 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Bringing your bike on public transit - Learn how to bring your bike on the bus, MAX Light Rail, and Portland Streetcar.
Additional transit providers in the Portland Area - for connections to neighboring cities and counties; private taxis and shuttles also listed.
MADE POSSIBLE WITH SUPPORT FROM METRO AND THE FEDERAL TRANSIT ADMINISTRATION