Portland offers a variety of choices for getting around without a car. Many Portlanders already live in neighborhoods where walking and biking are great options for short trips. And combining walking, biking and e-scooting with public transit is great for longer trips.
As Portland continues to grow, we are working to build a system that provides all Portlanders with a variety of options to move about the city and meet their daily needs.
Resources for getting around in different ways
- Walking - Learn the benefits of walking, how to navigate Portland streets and tips for staying safe.
- Biking - Learn the best bike routes, rules of the road, and tips for a great ride.
- Public Transit - Learn how to take the bus, MAX Light Rail, Portland Streetcar, Portland Aerial Tram.
- Shared vehicles, bikes, and scooters - Learn the companies and types of vehicle sharing available for your use.
Explore our free bike and walk maps for all the best routes and up to date information.
The digital bike map shows bike shops, biking options such as neighborhood greenways and protected bike lanes, as well as difficult intersections and connections.
Neighborhood maps feature pedestrian paths, transit stops, libraries, parks and other community resources.
Suggested walks and bike rides
These route maps showcase some of the best places to walk and ride around Portland. The routes are all loops, using low-traffic streets, neighborhood greenways, off-street paths and bike lanes.
Free community events
- Portland By Cycle Rides - Guided group bike rides with a variety of themes, challenge level, and locations.
- Portland By Cycle Classes - Learn how to use your bike for transportation.
- NeighborWalks - Guided group walks from May to October, in partnership with AARP and Oregon Walks.
- Sunday Parkways- Monthly open street events from May to September, each in a different neighborhood.
Printed transportation resources
Request printed transportation resources including walk and bike maps, biking and walking guides, and safety information.
Reach out to the SmartTrips team for advice and support as you explore new ways of getting around.