Welcome to SmartTrips to Kindergarten
SmartTrips to Kindergarten is a program that helps parents and care takers get and stay prepared for their child's first educational experience. The first step of going to Kindergarten, is getting to school. Let the PBOT Safe Routes to School team share tips, tricks, and prizes with you and your family through our kinder activities this first school year!
Fall Text and Win Campaign
This campaign will help you by sharing tips, tricks, and raffling prizes to get your family ready for this fall.
To join, text KINDER to 888-520-0526. If you're unable to text, email SafeRoutes@PortlandOregon.gov with the subject line KINDER.
This Fall we will have two drawings for a chance to win a scooter for your student or one of four $20 Fred Meyer Gift Certificates!
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) Text & Win Program will run through fall of 2023. By texting “KINDER” to 888-520-0526 and submitting an entry, each contestant agrees to these rules. The odds of winning this contest are determined by the number of total contestants and entries.
Who May Enter
This contest is open to parents or caretakers of kinder students (1 adult per student).
Eligible school districts include: David Douglas School District, Parkrose School District, and Portland Public Schools District.
How to Enter
For families with a child entering Kindergarten, Text the word “KINDER” to 888-520-0526
Participants are automatically entered into the prize drawing.
By texting the keyword to 888-520-0526, the contestant opts into receiving text messages from the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT). Message and data rates may apply. Contestant can always text STOP to 888-520-0526 to cancel or opt out.
Winner Selection and Notification
Weekly drawings for names of winners will be conducted. PBOT reserves the right to choose which prizes are drawn in which week. Winners will be notified of their name being drawn. Winners will be notified via mail, e-mail, or text depending on information provided by contestant. If the winner does not respond within one week of receiving notification, contest organizers will select a new winner at random.
Preparation is key!
- Visualize your ideal morning.
- Practice new habits. Some mornings may be more difficult than others. Practice helps everyone learn the new routine.
- Decide how you’ll get to school. Driving may not always be the easiest. Parking and traffic can add a lot of time. Not sure if your child will enjoy walking or rolling to school? Try it out over the summer. It takes the average child about 20 min to walk a mile.
- Connect with neighbors. Find a walking or biking group or carpool over the summer. Or make your own! Sharing responsibility often lessens the stress of commuting.
- Teach your child simple traffic rules. Now is a great time. Start with our favorites: look left-right-left, wait for vehicles to stop, make eye contact and wave, and never linger in the street.
Why walk and roll to school?
- Physical exercise
- Support learning
- Reduce traffic
- Reduce air pollution
- Explore your neighborhood
- Spend quality time together
- Make memories
- Help create more livable neighborhoods
Pedestrian safety tips
Bilingual in English and Spanish
Bike and walk maps of Portland
Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Southeast Portland Bike/Walk Map (western section)
- Southeast Portland Bike/Walk Map (eastern section)
- Northwest Portland Bike/Walk Map (downtown section)
- Northwest Portland Bike/Walk Map (Forest Park section)
- Northeast Portland Bike/Walk Map (western section)
- Northeast Portland Bike/Walk Map (eastern section)
Bilingual in English and Spanish; Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian, and Arabic
- Safe Routes Scavenger Hunt | Busqueda del Tesoro de Rutas Seguras a la Escuela (Bilingual)
- Truy Tìm Kho Báu trong Khu Xóm (Vietnamese)
- 社区邻里寻宝游戏 (Chinese)
- Охота за предметами в микрорайоне (Russian)
- رحلة البحث (Arabic)
English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian, and Arabic
- Bingo Card (English)
- Bingo Activo (Spanish)
- Trò Chơi Bingo (Vietnamese)
- (宾果）活动 (Chinese)
- Задания для игры в бинго (Russian)
- غونيبقة الاطب طاشن (Arabic)