How will PBOT's Safe Streets Initiative work? Read our frequently asked questions and our guidelines for using the Portland's Neighborhood Greenways during the Covid-19 public health crisis.
Are streets being closed?
No. The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) is converting 100 miles of already low-traffic streets into “local access only” to restrict cut-through traffic. Here is a map of all 105 locations where we will be putting up signage.
Can I still drive to my house or business? Can I still get deliveries and visitors? What about emergency vehicles?
Abolutely! These are not hard closures. Anyone needing to drive in or out of your street, including emergency vehicles, will still be able to do so. “Local access only” just means we are limiting these streets to people with an intended destination there.
Will PBOT consider converting more streets into "local access only"?
As part of the Slow Streets | Safe Streets initiative, PBOT is evaluating other streets in order to see what changes could help Portland travel safely during the pandemic. Please call 503-823-7233 (SAFE) or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a street you’d like to suggest.
What will these signs and changes look like?
Depending on how wide the street is, PBOT will place things like barrels or other traffic control devices in the road. All of these will have clear signs to alert people driving of the current restrictions. See the plans on Commissioner Eudaly’s website.
Can I help or volunteer?
Yes. Our partner Axiom Event Productions, who helps run Portland Sunday Parkways, is developing a program so the community can be a part of these changes. Contact them directly to let them know you’re interested.
How do we use Portland's Neighborhood Greenways during Covid-19?
Our Neighborhood Greenway network of low-traffic streets gives Portlanders many ways to improve their mental and physical health during this public health crisis. However, please understand it takes all of our cooperation to make this program successful. Let’s work together to slow the spread of coronavirus and save lives.
Before you head out, please:
- Stay home if you’re sick.
- Stay local and close to home.
- Only visit Neighborhood Greenways on your own or with members of your household, no gathering with others.
- Bring all supplies—food, water, hand cleanser, face coverings—needed for a short trip.
- Plan for where you will use the restroom if you need it. Public restroom access is limited across the city.
- If a Neighborhood Greenway appears crowded, leave and come back another time.
If there’s space on the Neighborhood Greenway, please:
- Remember that these are shared streets and sidewalks. Take it slow and be respectful of others.
- Wear a face covering even if others aren’t. Homemade is fine.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from people who aren’t from your household. Further apart is better.
- Cover your cough with a tissue (then throw it away), or the inside of your elbow.
- Stick to low-risk activities. Don't put additional stress on our emergency responders and health care systems.
- Announce your presence to others if you are passing them and move aside, when needed, to let others pass.
- Follow CDC guidelines and wash your hands before and after you visit a Neighborhood Greenway, or any other public space.
How do I report a damaged barrel or sign?
Please email our contractors at email@example.com or text your request to 503-395-4509. Include the cross streets or the location number (on a sticker on the equipment).
Translated information about the Safe Streets Initiative
- Met ei prokram Safe Streets Initiative (Túmúnún Won Anenap)?
- An aramas kapaseis fan asengesen an PBOT ewe prokram
- सेफ स्ट्रिट्स इनिसिएटिभ के हो?
- पिबिओटीको (PBOT's) सुस्त सडकहरु/सुरक्षित सडकहरूका लागि पहल बारे प्राय: सोधिने
- Ce este Inițiativa Străzi Sigure ?
- Întrebări frecvente despre inițiativa PBOT Străzi lente | Străzi sigure
- Что представляет собой Инициатива «Безопасные улицы»?
- Вопросы и ответы об инициативе PBOT Тихие улицы | Безопасные улицы
- Ambaqaadka Wadooyinka Nabdoon
- Su’aalaha Aalaaba La Isweydiiyo ee Ambaqaadka PBOT ee Waddooyinka Taraafikada
- ¿Qué es la Iniciativa de Calles Seguras?
- Preguntas frecuentes acerca de la Iniciativa de Calles Seguras
- Що таке Ініціатива «Безпечні вулиці»?
- Список запитань, які найчастіше ставляться щодо ініціативи PBOT Повільні вулиц