COVID-19 Safety, Recovery and Resilience

Face coverings are required in indoor public spaces and many outdoor spaces. State policy
Access City programs, people and projects helping Portland recover. Portland United

Volunteer. Play. Stay. Shop. Show the Rose City a little love. Here for Portland

Apply for a Healthy Businesses permit

The Portland Bureau of Transportation’s (PBOT) Healthy Businesses permit allows temporary changes to streets to give people more space to conduct business safely amid our current public health crisis. Summer permits expired October 31, 2021. Applications for Healthy Businesses permits now open.

Application takes 5-10 minutes. Due to a high volume of requests, we estimate 5-10 business days to respond. Approval time varies. Summer Healthy Businesses permits expire October 31, 2021.

Determine what you will use public right-of-way space for

Public right-of-way space may be used for people or vehicles lining up, restaurant tables and chairs, waiting areas, retail space, temporary patio or plaza, or other services and creative uses you might have.

Coordinate with neighboring businesses and organizations

Check with your neighbors to see if they also need public right-of-way. Work with these other businesses or organizations to determine how much space you all need and how the public right-of-way could be used. 

Gather your information

**NEW**  You will need to submit a photo of your installation or proposed location before a permit can be issued. In order to avoid delays in permit processing, it is recommended that you attach the photo when applying online. You may also submit a photo via email if you are unable to submit one when you apply.

Be ready to describe your location, other businesses and organizations you are working with, and exactly what portion of the public right-of-way you are requesting. This may be portions of the sidewalk, the street, a travel lane, parking spaces, an alley, etc.

All proposals and use of these permits must align with state and county healthy guidance related to Covid-19 and businesses, including hours of operation:

Access for pedestrians and people with disabilities must be maintained at all times.

Additional review will be required for proposals where transit routes or emergency routes exist.

Apply online

For all customers wanting a Healthy Businesses permit now through October 31, 2021:

Apply for a Healthy Businesses permit

These instructions and a downloadable application are also available in the following languages:

Chinese (Simplified):


русский (Russian):

Заявка на получение лицензии «здорового бизнеса» (Healthy Business)

Español (Spanish):

Solicite un permiso para Empresas Saludables

Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese):

Đăng ký giấy phép Doanh nghiệp Lành mạnh

Staff review and coordination

PBOT will email you after our initial review is complete. Staff will contact you for more information, as needed.

PBOT will support applicants as much as we can to make sure they meet the permit requirements. We may also help with technical assistance on layout, design, sourcing for equipment, or potential partnerships and funding sources.

Other agencies may require permits for new or altered commercial uses. Check with the following agencies for guidance on which permits may be required for your specific situation:

Bureau of Development Services (BDS) 

Changing uses or structures on private property may require permits.  

Vending truck, cart, and drive-up business requirements on property 

Portable and temporary signs 

Multnomah County Food service inspection and licensing, including food carts 
Fire Marshal Permits and inspections relating to use of gas or heating 
Office of Community and Civic Life,  Oregon Liquor Control Commission 

Liquor Licensing Program, which often must be expanded for outdoor service 

Noise Control Program, relevant to outdoor activities that may generate noise 

Cannabis Program. If cannabis or any cannabis product is present at an event, please comply with the requirements of the Portland's Cannabis Policy Program 

Portland Parks & Recreation 

Park Rentals and Permits  

Non-Park Use Permits 

Receive your approved permit

When PBOT staff has approved your permit, we will email you a copy.

If you are using parking spaces in a metered district, officers with PBOT Parking Enforcement will place reservation signage or devices for you. If you are outside a metered district, we will email you "no parking" signs you will need to place yourself. Traffic control devices are required.

All use of Healthy Businesses permits must align with state and county healthy guidance related to Covid-19 and businesses, including hours of operation:

Contact us with any questions


PBOT Business Toolkit team

Safe Streets Initiative

phone number503-823-4026

Contact with questions before applying, or about your permit.

Mailing address

Portland Bureau of Transportation Attn: Community Events
1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 1331
Portland, OR 97204