RECESS is a Portland Safe Routes to School program offering 6th - 9th grade students activity ideas and wellness tips while they are distance learning.
Can you believe it has been almost a year since we started distance learning?
While we are staying home to keep ourselves and community safe from COVID-19, we can also take care of ourselves by including breaks during the school day. RECESS gives YOU the power to personalize your breaks with activities to keep you moving and feeling your best.
Opt in for text reminders to help keep you on track.
Text RECESS to 319-96. Data rates may apply, so get permission from a parent or caregiver first!
You can stop the texts at any time by texting STOP to 319-96. You can expect a maximum of 5 reminders per month.
How to play
When it's time to take a break:
- Choose one activity from any RECESS category
- Do the activity! Write the completed category in your RECESS Tracker
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 at the next break. Do this 4 times a week for the Tracker, but more if you can!
- Turn in your Tracker at the end of the month.
How to submit
Submit your February Tracker by March 12! There are two ways to do it:
- Mail it to us! Fill out the information on the postcards included with your mailer.
- Submit your tracking online at the end of the month with this short form.
Submitting your Tracker in each month earns a prize and enters you into the monthly raffle drawing.
*The Tracker form doesn't include 9th grade as an option. 9th grade students should write in their grade on the form.*
Are you a 6th - 9th grader who hasn't started RECESS yet? Join in on the fun by printing out your own tracking cards!
Tracker cards for February & March (8 1/2 x 11, two sided)
RECESS activity ideas (11x17, but can be printed 8 1/2 x 11)
RECESS categories focus on 6 areas that benefit your body and mind while learning from home.
What can I win?
RECESS is all about taking care of ourselves by staying active and keeping a positive mindset. The available prizes are intended to help us all keep moving when we are back to school and traveling around the city.