What's happening now?
The project designs are complete and PBOT staff have posted the signals package to bid. Construction is expected to begin in spring 2023.
These five signals are part of a capital projects package which includes street lighting upgrades. Read about the entire project and sign up for email updates here.
These crossings were identified as important connections for students and families accessing schools . Walking routes and problem intersections were highlighted by school communities during a Safe Routes to School outreach process held throughout 2017.
You can read more about the planning process and see a map of citywide project locations at SafeRoutesProjects.com.
The signals will be constructed at the following intersections:
- NE MLK Blvd & NE Going St (Portland Public School District, Grant-Jefferson cluster)
- E Burnside St & SE 16th Ave (Portland Public School District, Cleveland cluster)
- SE Washington St & SE 86th Ave (Portland Public School District, McDaniel-Jefferson cluster)
- SE 148th Ave & SE Main St (Centennial School District)
- NE Glisan St & NE 113th Ave (David Douglas School District)
See a basic map of the projects on this capital projects website.
The Fixing Our Streets 10-cent citywide gas tax was approved by voters in May 2016 and again in May 2020. The Safe Routes to School program receives funds from Fixing Our Streets to improve access to schools across Portland.