COVID-19 Safety, Recovery and Resilience

Face coverings are required in indoor public spaces and many outdoor spaces. State policy
Access City programs, people and projects helping Portland recover. Portland United

Volunteer. Play. Stay. Shop. Show the Rose City a little love. Here for Portland

Report a non-urgent traffic safety concern to 823-SAFE

Investigations by traffic engineers for non-urgent safety concerns related to pedestrians, people biking or taking transit, speeding drivers, speed limits in general, traffic safety around schools, visibility, signage, signal timing. The 823-SAFE team at the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT).

Our online form should take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. Response times vary depending on the issue. Please fill out a new form for each separate issue.

  1. Gather your information

    Be prepared to share detailed information about the problem and the location for investigators.

    DO NOT use this form to report the following:

    • EMERGENCIES: Dial 9-1-1 for immediate fire, police, or medical response
    • URGENT MAINTENANCE: Call 503-823-1700 for 24-hour PBOT Maintenance Dispatch response to road hazards, potholes, sidewalk hazards, urgent maintenance, or repair of traffic signs or signals. Email is
    • NUISANCES: Use the PDXReporter App or online tool to report common nuisances such as abandoned autos, graffiti, illegal parking, sidewalk cafe violations, sidewalk trip hazards, and overgrown vegetation (login required). Work zone concerns and streetlight outages may also be reported there.

    DO use this form to report issues such as:

    • Safety concerns for pedestrians, people biking, or taking transit
    • Crosswalks, marked or unmarked, that appear unsafe
    • Traffic safety issues around schools
    • Lack of infrastructure such as sidewalks or crosswalks you feel could make streets safer
    • Suggestions for improvements to signal timing, visibility, signage, sight lines, or lighting
    • Concerns about speeding drivers or speed limits in general (Note: PBOT's Traffic Investigations team is reviewing speed limits citywide based on new state guidance, with a goal of 20-30 mph speeds on most city streets.)

    If you are unsure where to start, call the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) main line during regular business hours at 503-823-5185 for frequently asked questions.

  2. Fill out our online form

  3. Wait for referral or investigation (not guaranteed)

    Here is what you can expect moving forward:

    • EMERGENCY INTAKE (1-3 business days). We check 823-SAFE reports for urgent maintenance such as road hazards or signal outages that our crews should dispatch right away. See above for how to report emergencies.
    • RESEARCH and REFERRAL (1-2 months). We research 823-SAFE reports to see if there are similar ones in our system. We may need to contact you for more detail, and when we're through, we'll let you know where we've referred your concern. Concerns about speeding or requests for speed enforcement are logged and forwarded to the Portland Police Bureau (PPB) Traffic Division. Please note: PPB focuses their resources primarily on the city's high-crash network, but a PPB sergeant will review all requests in order to determine the appropriate action. You may also order yard signs that discourage speeding from PBOT's Vision Zero team.
    • PBOT TRAFFIC ENGINEER INVESTIGATION (3-4 months). For new traffic safety concerns or ones which PBOT hasn’t studied in the last 2 years, we will refer your report to our traffic engineers to investigate. Prepare yourself. These investigations take several weeks to get on the schedule and several more for a final assessment. When an investigation is complete, the engineer will write a summary and report for you and let you know next steps.

    Whether we can act on your concern or not, your report helps give us a fuller picture of traffic safety throughout the city. It also helps us prioritize our work in the future. THANK YOU.

  4. Contact us with any questions

    PBOT's 823-SAFE team receives thousands of reports each year and can not respond to each one. If you've already filled out our TrackIt form and want to check on the status of your request, please email us or leave a voicemail with your assigned TrackIt number at our 823-SAFE message line.


PBOT 823-SAFE Non-Emergency Traffic Concern Line

phone number503-823-7233

We receives thousands of reports each year and can not respond to each one. If you've already filled out our TrackIt form and want to check on the status of your request, call or email us.