The Towing and Private Property Impound (PPI) Program promotes public safety and convenience by ensuring that municipal and private property contract towers are providing vehicle towing and storage services in a timely, courteous, safe, and professional manner.
Private Property Tows
Tow requested by a property owner or business owner in the city of Portland (PPI - Private Property Impounds)
Citizens’ Rights when Towed from Private Property
If your vehicle has been towed from a private parking facility, you are entitled to the following:
- Assistance in obtaining transportation to pick up your vehicle, such as a telephone call to a taxi service or information about bus service.
- To receive information about the applicable rates when calling for release information.
- To wait no more than 30 minutes at the storage yard, after the agreed appointment time, for an attendant to arrive to release your vehicle outside of regular business hours which are 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday – Friday, excluding official City holidays.
- To receive a rate sheet detailing all applicable fees and a clear, itemized receipt for all charges.
- To pay for the tow by cash or a valid credit or debit card bearing the VISA logo and issued in the name of the vehicle owner or owner’s agent.
- To receive correct change for your cash payment, not later than the end of the following business day.
- Assistance in retrieving ownership documents from the towed vehicle.
- Release of your vehicle at no cost, if the hookup is not complete, the driver in the truck and the truck rolling forward when you return to your vehicle.
- Release of an animal left in the vehicle, or contents of an emergency nature, as specified in ORS 98.858, with proof of ownership or authorization by the registered owner. An after hours or gate fee may be applied for such requests outside of regular business hours.
- Information about how and where to file a complaint with the City of Portland.
PPI Permit Holders
Printable version of permit holders list: tower, phone, and their primary storage location.
PPI Tow Lists
Private Property Impounds (PPI) are tows from private property requested by Portland property owners and business owners. PPI Reports listed below show the date of PPI tows conducted within the Portland city limits. Information in the report includes: the PPI call date, tower, towed from, and requested by.
Tow requested by Portland Police, Portland Parking Enforcement and Abandoned Autos Division, Port of Portland, ODOT, Multnomah County Sheriff, TriMet, Portland Streetcar
Contracted Towers List
Complaints and Appeals
Towing Complaints and Appeals differ for Municipal Tows and Private Property Impounds.
Municipal Tows: Car towed in error: Code Hearings Officer at (503) 823-7307 (request a hearing).
Municipal Tows and PPI: if you believe that the tower has acted improperly (overcharge, rudeness, vehicle damage, etc.) please submit your complaint to our office through the online towing complaint form. Please complete the complaint form completely and specifically. Details requested help with investigating your complaint.
Municipal Tows: File a complaint and request an inspection of the damages.
The Towing Coordinator will then appoint a panel to inspect your vehicle (the Vehicle Damage Inspection Panel (VDIP)) and send a notice of when the inspection will take place. After the damages are inspected, VDIP will provide its findings, conclusions, and remedies. VDIP determinations may be appealed within 10 calendar days.
Private Property Impounds: damage claims should be addressed with the tower directly. You may also consider a claim with your insurance carrier or in civil court.
Municipal Tows: Code Hearings Officer, (503) 823-7307
Private Property Impounds (PPI) and Vehicle Damage Determinations (VDIP):
Towing & PPI Program, Patrick Kramer, Towing Coordinator
Phone 503-865-2489 | Fax 503-865-3022