Plan Background & Purpose
The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) recognizes that North Portland is long overdue for a community-driven transportation plan. We’ve heard for many years from people who live and work in North Portland that there is a lack of attention and investment in the transportation system in the North Portland peninsula.
Long transit travel times, an incomplete and insufficient biking network, unpaved streets and sidewalk gaps, and a lack of safe, accessible crossings pose challenges for North Portlanders in meeting their daily mobility needs. Many have shared that they feel that the neighborhoods served by this plan lack a complete and community-supported vision for transportation investments, especially in the areas further into the peninsula.
This plan is an opportunity to convene the greater North Portland community to identify shared priorities and key opportunities for new investments to support better access to important places within the peninsula as well as better connections to Northeast Portland and the Central City.
Through North Portland in Motion, PBOT will:
- Engage deeply with North Portlanders to understand transportation needs and barriers to meeting daily mobility needs.
- Identify a near-term prioritized investment strategy of projects and programs to improve conditions for walking, biking, and transit.
- Build new relationships with community-based organizations to represent the diverse neighborhoods and communities within North Portland.
Community Engagement Events
- St Johns Neighborhood Association General Meeting. September 13th, 2021
- North Portland in Motion Pedalpalooza Kick-Off Ride. August 29th, 2021
- Cathedral Park Neighborhood Association Meeting. August 10th, 2021
- Portland Freight Committee Meeting. August 5th, 2021
- North Portland Leadership Forum Presentation. August 2nd, 2021
- St Johns Boosters Walking Tour. July 30th, 2021
- Our Village Gardens Celebration at New Columbia. July 24th, 2021
- Arbor Lodge Neighborhood Association Meeting. July 15th, 2021
- North Portland in Motion Sunday Parkways Virtual Webinar. July 9th, 2021
- Portsmouth Neighborhood Association Traffic Safety Forum. July 6th, 2021
The project timeline is roughly two and half years, beginning in January 2021 with an anticipated final plan appearing before City Council in the spring of 2023. PBOT is deeply invested in elevating voices from North Portland’s diverse communities, especially those who may have historically been not represented. The community will be engaged throughout the project timeline through a Community Advisory Group, partnerships with several Community Based Organizations, focus groups and workshops, online and in-person open houses, neighborhood walks and rides, and consultation with Neighborhood Associations and other civic organizations.
Download the North Portland in Motion one-pager here:
Join our North Portland in Motion email list
Willamette Boulevard Active Transportation Corridor
In addition to North Portland in Motion, PBOT is actively working on designs for a safer and more comfortable active transportation corridor along N Willamette Boulevard, extending the protected bike lanes from N Rosa Parks Way another 3 miles to N Richmond Ave in St. Johns.