Sign up for email updates
Stay up to date on the latest news and information about NE Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard project.
NE Martin Luther King (MLK) Jr Boulevard is a bustling main street yet lacks adequate infrastructure to serve residents and visitors. The street has one of Portland’s highest concentrations of affordable housing, and a great deal more is planned for the future. More people living along MLK Jr Boulevard will increase pedestrian and commercial activity on the street, which is already experiencing traffic congestion and cars traveling at high speeds.
Community members have described walking and driving along MLK Jr Boulevard as a stressful and unpleasant experience. Along MLK Boulevard, there is a general feeling that:
- The street environment is not pedestrian friendly or supportive to street-level business.
- Affordable housing, retirement homes, and the highest activity commercial areas are not served well by existing crossings.
- The increasing traffic is resulting in poor air quality, which is negatively impacting existing and future affordable housing residents along the street.
By improving safety through crossing and traffic access improvements, PBOT will take a step towards creating a more pleasant place to visit and travel along.
Several improvements along NE MLK Jr Boulevard are already funded, including:
- New Enhanced Crossings at:
- NE Buffalo Street
- NE Mason Street
- NE Going Street*
- NE Cook Street
- Signal Safety Improvements at:
- NE Killingsworth Street
- NE Fremont Street
*This crossing enhancement is funded through Fixing Our Streets Local Gas Tax as is expected to be delivered in 2023-24.
PBOT is actively working in partnership with key stakeholders in NE MLK Jr Blvd corridor to identify future priorities and seek funding for additional investments to improve safety and access along this corridor.