COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: Extreme Risk

Temporary Street Use Permitting (TSUP)

The Temporary Street Use Permitting team at the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) issues permits for temporary use of the public right of way, including parking, sidewalk, lane and street closures. Permits are issued as per Title 16, 17 and 24 of Portland City Code.

On this page

Service Alerts

Last updated: 8/6/20

City of Portland temporary street use permitting staff are responding to the evolving COVID-19 situation. However, we remain able to process and issue street use permits. Please see below for specific changes to the timeline for reserving on-street parking.


During the City of Portland's declared state of emergency, Parking Enforcement may be limited in their ability to verify and enforce 'no parking' signs (for both 'Metered' and 'Non-Metered' parking permits).  During the current Stay At Home directive, the management of on-street parking in residential areas is evolving.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.  See below for how this may impact your ability to tow cars from your reserved parking area.

For 'Metered' parking permits, PBOT must place the 'no parking' signs on the street 2 days in advance of the permit start date.

For 'Non-Metered' parking permits, the 'no parking' signs are not enforceable until 72 hours after Parking Enforcement has verified your placement of the signs.

This will impact the processing time for permit requests.

Our customer service desk in the Development Services Center at 1900 SW 4th Ave is currently unavailable.


For information about annual parking passes for personal vehicles, click here.

For information about managing traffic disruptions related to your COVID-19 response, click here.

For information about establishing a temporary pickup or drop-off zone for your business during COVID-19, click here.

For information about using the sidewalk, parking spaces or street area for your business during COVID-19, click here.

For more information about PBOT’s COVID-19 response, click here.

Finding the right permit

Choose the temporary street use permit that meets your needs:

Renew or change a permit

City of Portland Employees

Only use this option if you are a City of Portland employee scheduling work to be performed by other City of Portland employees.

City of Portland employees can log in and view the Temporary Street Use Permitting web map, which includes all permitted Temporary Street Use closures.

City of Portland Contractors

Only use these options if you are under contract with the City of Portland to perform public infrastructure work in the public right-of-way.  This does not include work performed as part of private development, such as street work covered by Public Works Permitting.

Moratorium dates and maps

The 2020 Rose Festival Moratorium has been postponed. New dates are unknown.

Due to increased activity in the city’s major retail districts during the Rose Festival and fall/winter holiday season, specific areas and streets have restricted use. Portland's Bureau of Transportation implements a moratorium on use of the public right-of way to support the Holiday Season & Rose Festival. 

The maps below show which streets in the City of Portland are restricted Holiday and Rose Festival moratoriums.

If there are emergency circumstances, you may be considered for an exemption based on verifiable need for work in the public right of way. To apply for an Exemption, follow these steps:

  1. Fill out the Moratorium Appeal Form. 
  2. After submitting your Moratorium Appeal request, it will be reviewed and a response will be provided. If approved, the Permit Center will process the request as per normal protocol.

Please note that work performed between the hours of 10pm-6am does not require an appeal and is exempt from the moratorium restrictions.


Click here to view the fee schedule for street use permits.

Refund policy:

The City of Portland, Bureau of Transportation has a practice of issuing refunds for Temporary Street Use Permits only under certain circumstances.

All cancellations and refunds must be processed through a staff member of Temporary Street Use Permitting (TSUP). The amount of the refund is determined by the status of the permit. Applicants requesting to cancel a permit which has not yet started or end a permit prior to the original end date are offered a prorated refund based on the permit status and per the cancellation timing requirements. Permit holders shall notify TSUP immediately via the change request form in order to start the refund process

Permit holders requesting a refund after the permit start date has passed will NOT receive a full refund of the permit fees.

Permit fees are NOT refunded for stolen or vandalized parking reservation signs, or due to illegally parked vehicles.

All refund payments will be made to the permit holder only, at the address provided on the permit application.

Approved refunds will be processed within 30 business days.

Change Fee policy:

There is a fee to change a temporary street use permit.  This fee will not be assessed on the first change to a permit; but will be assessed on any subsequent changes.  The fee amount will be $30.00.

Permit changes are requested via the Change Request Form.  Temporary Street Use Permitting (TSUP) staff will assess your change request and follow up with payment information if the change fee will apply.

The change fee is nonrefundable.

Instructions for using parking permits

Please view the reservation overviews below for a complete list of details.

Please see our COVID-19 page for impacts to Parking Enforcement's verification process.

Non-metered parking

You will be emailed parking reservation signs with your permit. You are responsible for printing and placing these signs on barricades at the curb in advance of the permit dates. You are responsible for providing the barricades. The barricades must be placed in such a manner as to be visible and readable from the street.

Parking reservation signs will only be enforceable (towing cars out of the reserved spaces) 72 hours after Parking Enforcement verifies that they are installed correctly. Verification is not required if you do not want the option of having vehicles towed out of your reserved area.

Verification fees are separate from permit fees.

Metered Parking

When you obtain a temporary street use permit to reserve parking in a metered area, we will email you a copy of your permit. You are not required to post any parking reservation signs; Parking Enforcement staff will place the reservation signs on your behalf. This typically happens one to two business days prior to your permit start date.

Vehicles in the reserved area shall display the street use permit on the dashboard so that it is clearly visible.

If an unpermitted vehicle is parked in your reserved area, it is your responsibility to call Parking Enforcement to request enforcement action.

If the parking reservation signs are stolen or vandalized, please call Parking Enforcement to report them and request replacement signs. Please also notify Temporary Street Use Permitting (TSUP) of the missing signs.

We do not refund permit fees in cases of vandalized signs or illegally parked vehicles.

Metered Parking Districts:

Insurance requirements for sidewalk, travel lane, and street closures

We require that a certificate of insurance (COI) is on file naming the City of Portland as additionally insured prior to the issuance of a permit to use or close a sidewalk, travel lane, or full street.

For more details, visit the Insurance Requirements page.

To avoid delays, you may wish to confirm with our insurance coordinator that your company has met this requirement. 

Insurance documents are processed by the city's Insurance & Bonds Group. They can be reached at 503-823-7142 and all insurance documents should be sent to insurance@portlandoregon.gov.

Traffic control plan/work space diagram requirements

  1. All temporary street use permits that involve the use or closure of a sidewalk, travel lane, or street, require a traffic control plan or a work space diagram. Determine which one you will need with this flow chart.
    • A traffic control plan is site-specific plan showing your work zone and all of the proposed traffic control devices.
    • A work space diagram is a basic depiction of your work zone. Typically, this is a box or other polygon drawn around the portion of the right of way that you will be impacting. This plan does not need to show all of the traffic control devices. Here is an example.
  2. Reference our Traffic Control Manual to make sure you are meeting PBOT requirements. Pages 9 & 10 in the manual outline the required components of a traffic control plan.
  3. Prepare your traffic control plan or work space diagram using the PBOT basemap tool. These plans will be rejected if not prepared using the basemap tool.
    • When preparing a traffic control plan, please make sure you have the commonly used temporary traffic control signs from the downloadable file HERE.

Do you need to perform work on a street that is included in PBOT’s Slow Streets/Safe Streets program?

Please note that PBOT has added signage along existing Neighborhood Greenway routes, which may need to be removed and replaced if it conflicts with your permitted traffic control set-up.

The ‘TA-L1’ typical drawing in PBOT’s Traffic Design Manual provides guidance for setting up traffic control on a city bikeway. Use this as a guide to prepare your work space diagram (WSD) or site specific traffic control plan (TCP).

Additional Resources:

  • If your work will impact a TriMet bus route, contact TriMet early in the planning stages:
    503-962-4949 or foc@trimet.org.
  • If your work will impact a Biketown Installation, contact Steve Hoyt-Mcbeth at Steve.Hoyt-McBeth@portlandoregon.gov.
  • If your work will impact any Public Art Installations, contact Keith Lachowicz in the Regional Arts & Culture Council at 503-823-5404.
  • Paystation Removal Guidelines: If your work block access to a parking paystation.
  • If your TCP requires a traffic signal or streetlighting change, see these guidelines.

Contact us 

  • Contact PBOT's Temporary Street Use Permitting team for:
    • Questions about temporary street use application(s)
    • Questions about the temporary street use permitting process
    • Questions about temporary street use fees



Subscribe to email notices: If you would like to receive periodic updates or important announcements from Temporary Street Use Permitting, click here to subscribe.