COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: High Risk

Services, guides, and information

Displaying 1 - 22 of 22
The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) may require traffic control for work in the public right-of-way. Equipment may be bought or rented. Here are basic examples of traffic control and a partial list of vendors in the Portland area. Vendor list does not indicate a preference.
This page contains commonly referenced City code and administrative rules related to PBOT development and permitting processes. Chapters refer to city code and TRN refers to transportation administrative rules.
As part of a development permit or land use application, the landowner may be required to grant an easement to the City for public right-of-way purposes. This is often referred to as a “dedication.”
This section covers Portland Bureau of Transportation's (PBOT) insurance and bond requirements for temporary street-use permits, street-opening permits, sewer connection permits, minor construction, sidewalk cafes and vending, community events, and utility installation in the public right-of-way.
In Spring 2016, the City adopted the Local Transportation Infrastructure Charge (LTIC), a charge on new infill development occurring on these streets in single-dwelling residential zones. The LTIC provides a more predictable and simple option for developers to meet their obligations.
In Spring 2018, Council approved the LTIC allocation methodology for select projects for financed improvements. This methodology is consistent with the City’s equity goals, ADA requirements, and adopted neighborhood transportation and stormwater plans.
PBOT has updated the PBOT Development Review Manual to Creating Public Streets and Connections. This manual contains information for designing public improvements consistent with the authority granted to PBOT under City Code in relation to land use and building permit actions.
The enforcement program plays a critical role in providing safe mobility options to Portlanders.
Newly created public and private street segments are named during the plat review process or via an Easement for Right-of-Way Purposes.
A street vacation extinguishes the public’s interest in street right-of-way. When street area is vacated, control is passed to the underlying fee owner, most often the abutting property owner but not always.
If you are interested in vacating a street, email pbotrwa@portlandoregon.gov to inquire.
The Temporary Street Use Permitting team at the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) issues permits for temporary use of the public right of way, including parking, sidewalk, lane and street closures. Permits are issued as per Title 16, 17 and 24 of Portland City Code.
PBOT is updating City Code Sections 17.88.010 and 17.107.030 to align with existing Title 33 regulations.
Certain utility vaults that are constructed in the right-of-way as a result of new development may require that the owner or tenant enter into a lease with City for this privatization of the public right-of-way.
The Portland Bureau of Transportation’s (PBOT) Healthy Businesses permit allows temporary changes to streets to give people more space to conduct business safely amid our current public health crisis. Winter permits expire March 31, 2021. Applications for Healthy Businesses permits now open.