Insurance and bond documents are processed by the Utility, Construction & Inspection Insurance & Bond Group, and must be approved by the city attorney prior to issuance of any permits. Please see below for general requirements and sample additional insured endorsements.
Please allow 5-7 business days for processing once documents meeting requirements are received.
Insurance requirements for street and sidewalk use permits: The City of Portland requires the a certificate of liability insurance AND an additional insured endorsement for Street and Sidewalk Use Permits. The certificate and endorsement must be approved by the City Attorney before a permit can be issued. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing. Documents that contain missing or incorrect information will require a longer processing period.
1. A Standard certificate of liability insurance: The insurance certificate is intended to protect the city from any liability it may incur as a result of granting the requested permit. Certificate shall contain the following:
- City of Portland – Utilities, Construction & Inspection (UCI) named as the Certificate Holder:
City of Portland Portland Bureau of Transportation Attn: UCI 1120 SW 5th Ave – Suite 1331 Portland OR 97204
- Minimum coverage requirements for liability insurance:
- Per Occurrence coverage not less than $1,000,000 (one million dollars) per occurrence.
- General Aggregate coverage not less than $2,000,000 (two million dollars).
- In the “DESCRIPTION OF OPERATIONS...” section of the certificate:
- Indicate the type of permit requested (Healthy Businesses, Street/Lane/Sidewalk Closure, Street Opening, Sewer Connection, Banner, Sidewalk Café, Vending Cart, Community Event, Block Party, etc).
- If the insured requests permits for varying locations and dates, indicate “All Operations”. Do not list each permitted location/date. If you do, a new certificate and endorsement will be required for each permit. For sidewalk Cafes and Vending Carts, please list the premise location(s).
- Notification of cancellation: The City of Portland requires 30 (thirty) days written notice from the insurance company prior to cancellation of the policy.
2. An additional insured endorsement form: The City of Portland accepts endorsements referring to permits and state or political subdivisions
- Acceptable endorsements: CG 20 12 04 13; “Additional Insured - State or Political Subdivisions – Permits” or BP 04 52 07 02; “Additional Insured - State or Political Subdivisions – Permits” or an equivalent endorsement.
- Click below for a more complete list of forms that can or cannot be accepted.
- Policy number: If the form has a designated space for the policy number, the policy number must be listed OR a schedule of forms and endorsements must be provided. | If there is no space for the policy number on the endorsement, then the endorsement must be listed in the description section of the certificate OR a schedule of forms and endorsements must be provided
- Schedules: “The City of Portland and its officers, directors, employees, and agents” should be listed in any schedules provided. Alternately, the schedule may read, “Any state or governmental agency or subdivision or political subdivision that issues permits or authorizations to the insured”.
- Please note: We do not accept endorsements limiting coverage to work the insured performs for the additional insured. The insured is not performing work FOR the City. They are requesting a permit FROM the City to utilize the public right-of-way. Premise-based endorsements are also not accepted. We issue permits for utilization of the public right-of-way, not for premises.
Bond requirements for sewer, environmental assessment, and certain encroachment permits
Insurance documents (PDF Format)
Street opening bond documents (PDF Format)