COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: High Risk

Insurance and bond requirements for permits in the public right-of-way

This section covers Portland Bureau of Transportation's (PBOT) insurance and bond requirements for temporary street-use permits, street-opening permits, sewer connection permits, minor construction, sidewalk cafes and vending, community events, and utility installation in the public right-of-way.

On this page

Insurance and bond documents are processed by the Utility, Construction & Inspection Insurance & Bond Group, and must be approved by the city attorney prior to issuance of any permits.  Please see below for general requirements and sample additional insured endorsements.

Please allow 5-7 business days for processing once documents meeting requirements are received.

Insurance requirements for street and sidewalk use permits: The City of Portland requires the a certificate of liability insurance AND an additional insured endorsement for Street and Sidewalk Use Permits. The certificate and endorsement must be approved by the City Attorney before a permit can be issued. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing. Documents that contain missing or incorrect information will require a longer processing period.

1. A Standard certificate of liability insurance: The insurance certificate is intended to protect the city from any liability it may incur as a result of granting the requested permit. Certificate shall contain the following:

  • City of Portland – Utilities, Construction & Inspection (UCI) named as the Certificate Holder:
     City of Portland
     Portland Bureau of Transportation
     Attn: UCI        
     1120 SW 5th Ave – Suite 1331
     Portland OR 97204
  • Minimum coverage requirements for liability insurance:
    • Per Occurrence coverage not less than $1,000,000 (one million dollars) per occurrence.
    • General Aggregate coverage not less than $2,000,000 (two million dollars).
  • In the “DESCRIPTION OF OPERATIONS...” section of the certificate:
    • Indicate the type of permit requested (Healthy Businesses, Street/Lane/Sidewalk Closure, Street Opening, Sewer Connection, Banner, Sidewalk Café, Vending Cart, Community Event, Block Party, etc).
    • If the insured requests permits for varying locations and dates, indicate “All Operations”. Do not list each permitted location/date. If you do, a new certificate and endorsement will be required for each permit. For sidewalk Cafes and Vending Carts, please list the premise location(s).
  • Notification of cancellation: The City of Portland requires 30 (thirty) days written notice from the insurance company prior to cancellation of the policy.

2. An additional insured endorsement form: The City of Portland accepts endorsements referring to permits and state or political subdivisions

Insurance documents (PDF Format)

Street opening bond documents (PDF Format)