COVID-19 Safety, Recovery and Resilience

Face coverings are required in indoor public spaces and many outdoor spaces. State policy
Access City programs, people and projects helping Portland recover. Portland United

Volunteer. Play. Stay. Shop. Show the Rose City a little love. Here for Portland

Apply for a vending cart permit

The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) through the Portland in the Streets program issues Vending Cart permits to allow vendors to sell food or merchandise using a small mobile cart. Vendors with a permit can vend at specific locations on the public sidewalk.

This application can take up to 30 minutes to complete. Additional materials may take longer to prepare. After we receive an application, it may take 6-8 weeks to issue a permit.

  1. Find a location

    Where can a vending cart be located? 

    Any public sidewalk located in a commercial zone in Portland. Vending carts are only allowed on sidewalks 10 feet or wider.  Please contact us with any questions.

  2. Learn about vending requirements

    Please refer to the site requirements in the sidewalk vending application.

    These requirements include:

    • Vending cart design
    • Site location
    • Property owner consent

    If you have any questions, please contact our vending cart coordinator:

  3. Complete the application and gather supplemental materials

    • Fill out the application form:
    • Confirm property owner consent. The owner of the property must sign and agree to the agreement included in the application packet.  
    • Create a site plan. Draw where exactly on the sidewalk you would like your vending cart to be located. Please see the site requirements.  
    • Proof of business compliance. Your business must be REGISTERED to operate in the City of Portland.  
    • If you are heating food, you will need to submit a copy of your PROPANE from the Fire Bureau.  
    • If you are selling food, you will need proof of a HEALTH CERTIFICATE approved by the Multnomah County Health Department.  
    • If you are selling flowers or plants, please provide proof of a NURSERY LICENSE.  
    • Proof of insurance. Insurance and bond requirement for permits in the right-of-way.   
    • $60 application payment. Your application will not be processed until we receive your application fee. You can make checks payable to City of Portland and mail to:
    Portland Bureau of Transportation

    ATTN: Vending Cart Permits
    1120 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 1331
    Portland, OR97204
    United States

    If you prefer to pay online, we can send a link for payment upon receiving your application packet. 

  4. Submit your sidewalk vending permit application

    Email the completed application packet and supplemental materials to: 

  5. Provide insurance documents

    We require you to submit a certificate of insurance and an endorsement naming the City of Portland as additionally insured. 

  6. Wait for processing and review and pay permit fees

    The vending cart coordinator will complete a site inspection and a city engineer will review your cart designs. A summary of the visit, the plan, and the total permit fees will be sent to you.

    You will receive your payment total once your application is processed.

    A vending cart permit costs $75 per year. A separate insurance processing fee of $30.92 will also be assessed. 

  7. Attend final inspection and receive your permit

    When your cart is ready and you’re ready to begin operating, we will schedule a final inspection. If your cart meets all the requirements and is approved at the inspection, you will receive your permit.

    Need help with your application or have questions or concerns? Contact us:


Mailing address

Portland Bureau of Transportation, Attn: Sidewalk Vending
1120 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 1331
Portland, OR 97204