This application can take up to 30 minutes to complete. Additional materials may take longer to prepare. After we receive an application, it may take 6-8 weeks to issue a permit.
Find a location
Where can a vending cart be located?
Any public sidewalk located in a commercial zone in Portland. Vending carts are only allowed on sidewalks 10 feet or wider. Please contact us with any questions.
Learn about vending requirements
Please refer to the site requirements in:
These requirements include:
If you have any questions, please contact us
- Vending cart design
- Site location
- Property owner consent
Complete the application and gather supplemental materials
Fill out the application form:
- Confirm property owner consent. The owner of the property must sign and agree to the agreement included in the application packet.
- Create a site plan. Draw where exactly on the sidewalk you would like your vending cart to be located. Please see the site requirements in the application packet.
- Proof of business compliance. Your business must be REGISTERED to operate in the City of Portland.
- If you are heating food, you will need to submit a copy of your PROPANE from the Fire Bureau.
- If you are selling food, you will need proof of a HEALTH CERTIFICATE approved by the Multnomah County Health Department.
- If you are selling flowers or plants, please provide proof of a NURSERY LICENSE.
- Proof of insurance. Insurance and bond requirement for permits in the right-of-way.
- $60 application payment. Your application will not be processed until we receive your application fee. You can make checks payable to City of Portland and mail to us.
If you prefer to pay online, we can send a link for payment upon receiving your application packet.
Submit your sidewalk vending permit application
- Email the completed application packet
- Mail the completed application packet and supplemental materials
- Submit it in-person
Provide insurance documents
We require you to submit a certificate of insurance and an endorsement naming the City of Portland as additionally insured.
Wait for processing and review and pay permit fees
The vending cart coordinator will complete a site inspection and a city engineer will review your cart designs. A summary of the visit, the plan, and the total permit fees will be sent to you.
You will receive your payment total once your application is processed.
A vending cart permit costs $75 per year. A separate insurance processing fee of $30.92 will also be assessed.
Attend final inspection and receive your permit
When your cart is ready and you’re ready to begin operating, we will schedule a final inspection. If your cart meets all the requirements and is approved at the inspection, you will receive your permit.
Need help with your application or have questions or concerns? Contact us