

Live Captioning by Ai-Media

City of Portland - Pedestrian Advisory Committee Monthly Meeting

SPEAKER:

If you don't mind I will provide a quick reminder while we're waiting for folks to join.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

I cannot hear you

... It was a mean problem.

SPEAKER:

I think we have some new attendees this evening present so I wanted to provide a quick overview for how our public zoom meetings operate. We have panelists which are committee members and we have attendees which are public attendees. We do have two public comment period on the agenda. We have 10 minutes at the beginning and at the end for public comment. As an attendee, you are able to raise your hand during the public comment period if you have a comment you would like to make. When the chair calls on you, or Greg will be able to give you speaking privileges during those two public comment periods. For the rest of the meetings, only the panelists will have the ability to speak and participate in the meeting outside of those comment periods. That is how we at the city have been running our public meetings since we have come to the world of zoom so any questions at all I would say you could put them in the chat but our chat has been disabled this evening. We have been notified that it is not in compliance with Oregon public meeting law to have the chat function on during meetings. That is why you won't see it.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Seems like someone should modernize the law.

SPEAKER:

I have used the link that was sent originally and it didn't let me end. There may be some other people trying to get in through that route so maybe give it a minute for people to try the other invitation sent by Michelle.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Thank you Josh. Maybe we will give it one more minute and we will start on the public comment. Folks who are attendees or members of the public feel free to raise your hand when we start public comment and we will call on you to give your comment. Josh go ahead.

SPEAKER:

How come the meeting agendas are not updated on the PAC website. They go up to 2020 but then...

SPEAKER:

That is on us Josh we had a bit of a, some lost knowledge when we handed over responsibilities to our new CSA so now that we have Greg as our wonderful new intern who will be helping us with the PAC, he and I will be working together to make sure that the website is more up-to-date than it has been in the past. My apologies about that.

SPEAKER:

I wanted to make sure I was in the right place.

SPEAKER:

Yes you are.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Let's get started and thank you everyone for joining us for the June pac meeting. We are starting with some public comment and we have people with their hands raise. If you are an attendee please raise your hand now if you have a question and there will always also be a chance at the end of the meeting. There are a number of hands raise. I didn't keep track of the order but I think I saw Doug Allen first.

SPEAKER:

You should have speaking privileges now.

SPEAKER:

Hello I am Doug and I wanted to thank Michelle and the PAC and whoever might have been involved in the decision to now do 12 foot wide crosswalks in the (unknown term) district. Thank you very much for that I think it is a great decision and I look forward to seeing that and I assume it will be rolled out as new ones are done and not go back and retouch them.

SPEAKER:

That is correct and I should clarify that what we are doing is asking for budget in the fall during the budgeting process to provide those 12 foot crosswalks within pedestrian districts. We haven't got approval yet but we are making that request and that is correct as new ones are maintained, they would be 12 instead of nine.

SPEAKER:

Thank you very much for that that is all I wanted to say. Should I speak at the budget hearing if I want to support that?

SPEAKER:

Yes that would be wonderful.

SPEAKER:

I hope I get the notification. Maybe you should send out something.

SPEAKER:

I will keep tabs on it for you.

SPEAKER:

Great and thank you. That is all I have to say.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Thank you Doug. Next that I saw was Douglas Allen.

SPEAKER:

You should be able to speak now.

SPEAKER:

Can you hear me now? I am Doug Allen and I have sent in some extensive comments on the Hollywood Hub project. If you haven't read them yet I would encourage you to look at them. If you have any questions I could answer them now or at the end of the meeting. I guess that is all I have to say at this point. Thank you very much.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Did you send those into Michelle maybe?

SPEAKER:

I sent them to Michelle and then she sent them out to the whole pedestrian advisory committee with a copy to me as well as guy and the team at Trimet.

SPEAKER:

It was earlier this morning.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

It is possible I am behind on my email. Thank you. Thank you for being here. Then I saw Mary Lee Turner.

SPEAKER:

Alright Marylee.

SPEAKER:

Greetings everyone this is Marylee Turner and I am here to learn as much as I can and keep my hands in. The pedestrian safety action coalition is working with (indiscernible) with regard to the Sunday Park events. We are going to be doing four possibly 5-1 hour segments on pedestrian safety for folks who experience sight loss and others. Wanted you to know about that and check them out when they become available. Thank you.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Fantastic and thank you for sharing about that. OK and then moving down the list I see Marian Rice.

SPEAKER:

You should be able to speak now.

SPEAKER:

OK I actually wanted to say about the same things as Doug Allen's did and I sent some materials to Michelle yesterday. That has to do with the Hollywood transit Centre. It is probably covered in Doug's materials but I particularly wanted to point out that the change in the ZIP Code that would make a difference in how the transit Centre is redeveloped. I wanted to say as I frequent transit rider and pedestrian and using the transit Centre a lot aside from the ZIP Code issue, and just the fact that of all that I am familiar with it is the worst transfer between Dragon mac and buses and they want to make it worse by shutting it down basically. I think this is definitely a pedestrian issue. I hope the committee will have time to devote more time to that issue eventually. That is it thank you.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Thank you for being here. Lastly, Don Baack.

SPEAKER:

I wanted to comment on the comments at the beginning and end of the thing. I am not interested in just talking a little bit right now and then not being able to interact with the presenters when you have something relevant to that. I think if you want people to participate you would have to change a policy. It is frustrating as well to otherwise engage and I will sign off because I am not interested in just listening I want to interact. So thank you.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

We are sorry to hear that. We try to accommodate people as much as we can't but we do have limited time and a lot of information to get through so that is where we have landed is at the beginning and end.

I think that is everyone with their hand raised. So, we will move on to the next item on the agenda which is hot topics. And our Vision Zero (indiscernible).

SPEAKER:

Let me share my screen with the Vision Zero updates. Bear with me for one minute... Can you see the table?

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Yes.

SPEAKER:

Since the last meeting on May 17 there has been one fatality. We don't yet know the name of the pedestrian who died. On June 14 there was pedestrian struck and killed in at hit and run on Northeast Marine near 13th Ave. That brings our total deaths year to date to 26.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Thank you. First I want to make sure if anyone wants to make a comment or have questions about that?

The next item on our agenda is a reminder to submit questions for Director Warner to Michelle by this Friday and we will hear from Director Warner at our next meeting next month. It is on a different date than normal but I don't remember the date.

SPEAKER:

Yes it is that Tuesday prior to our regular meeting date. Rather than the third Tuesday of the month it will be the second so that will be on June 13 and that will be joining the (unknown term) on June 13 and you will all receive from Greg and or Francesca an updated link to join that regularly scheduled (unknown term) meeting.... I'm sorry it is July 13.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

I am encourage you to setting on your questions to Michelle.

MICHELLE MARX:

Yes please. Via email.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

We have an exciting 82nd Avenue update.

MICHELLE MARX:

Thank you Kristin.

SPEAKER:

I wish I had more certainty to share today. But I can give you an update on where we have landed with a request that led to the legislature. He brought and ODOT really worked hard together. To bring 82nd to repair. In basic safety issues. This is not the cost to bring the facility up to the standards but to increase number of pedestrian crossings, why didn't the sidewalks, so minimum of 6 feet, street lighting and signals. We worked quite hard over 2019 and 2020 on that. We asked the legislature to work together to come up with a cost to transfer at the 82nd. We arrived at the cost of \$150 million and we submitted a request to the legislature. To find \$80 million of that. The ODOT funding.

\$185 million cost of transfer. One of the really exciting thing about that proposal, which is not approved by the legislator yet, we don't have an agreement with that. That \$80 million will be funded to be used to fund short-term. It I thought it might be helpful to share the screen for a minute in touch on those.

That is not the map. This is the map that the ODOT has already programmed. I am not comfortable in presenting. Those projects – Carla might be able to talk about that. You will see it on the construction very soon. That is a direct response to some of the immediate safety issues on the 82nd.

MICHELLE MARX:

I do not have the other map.

SPEAKER:

I can talk about it on the high level and then I can send it later. In the third -- first \$8 million, we are talking about funding six to 10 crossings. Those are the locations on the Peabody 82nd Avenue plan. Many of them are funded already on the map which Michelle is showing.

Lighting for safety throughout the corridor. Whether there is lighting missing on one side. Doing intersection safety improvements. Making changes to signalization like leading pedestrian intervals, high visibility crosswalks, those are the things to make intersection safer. We also do some cross-sectional planning and development if we are awarded this funding to get a better idea of long-term plan about the 82nd.

There is some stuff we need to do. In this case, we want to have a little bit of certainty where we are headed. The last piece is sidewalk improvements and sidewalk ramps for accessibility and pavement investments. We would do that kind of cohesive, complete investment without first \$80 million on one segment. The roadway, would not bring the whole roadway up to standard, but we would do one segment and then do the down payment on the rest. If the Legislature finds that, that \$80 million in the next four years.

SPEAKER:

Thank you for the good news on this cautious optimism let's say and it has been nice to see some reaction to the recent tragedies on the corridor. One thing I haven't seen in the press so far is any mention of Trimet. I know a lot of the pedestrian activity comes from access to the transit that runs along it. I wanted to I guess just get the full picture of how Trimet is also involved in these discussions and what can happen in the corridor. Thank you for that.

SPEAKER:

Conversation with TriMet, they are not a formal part of this initial conversation about transferring the roadway. We will bring them in the conversation would be said to think about the future of the corridor.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

We have a question from Tiel.

TIEL JACKSON:

I want to second what Josh said, this is generally good news. Another thing that the 82nd process and other improvements are or have been planned before, I am wondering if the intersections are being coordinated so that the intersection gets upgraded once to get that higher level in both.

SPEAKER:

She has a better one.

SPEAKER:

Hi all. I am Carla. I am a planner at PBOT. A big part of the work that we did to get to the transfer is to take into account prior programs and projects like the ones that you have mentioned, intersecting the

82nd. Take this into account as places that we would not need to be inverse in. That intersection on the 82nd, it is being rebuilt. We are not assuming that the cost to upgrade 82nd would include that. Our investment would not include redoing that intersection. That is a really good point to bring up. That said, it is true that there will ultimately be some rework in areas. There is potential in that. Since we have not gotten through the process of knowing that potential transit investment, what would that look like. We are in the beginning of that conversation on 82nd. I do not think we certainly will not get answers to that before some of these investments are made.

You can speak to this more, Kristin. That is just the reality of the work we do. These things take in 10 years. Really, being the second being towards in the beginning. Even though we have been working on it for a long time.

TIEL JACKSON:

Thank you.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Any other questions about the 82nd Avenue?

SPEAKER:

Talking to you about it when the transfer has happened, and we have more to say. But thank you for having us today.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you so much. We all have our fingers crossed. OK. Are there any other hot topics from the committee members? Josh?

SPEAKER:

It is not hot topic as much is it is request to get the information. The individual who spoke at the beginning of the meeting, your public comment, Don, mentioned and asked the Commissioner about where the city was at with technical urbanism policy, guidance. I don't know. His remark - the follow-up from that was that Commissioner said to contact the chief of staff at Google talk. I am curious if anything has come with that?

We live in the bike Boulevard, residential street in Southeast Portland, by far, it is not as bad as many in the city. I do not think we should be a priority for the city. But I am also tired of cars screaming down our street for 50 miles an hour. It is almost worst because it is generally a really nice treat and in terms of the children, of what to expect, when we obviously teach them that there could be a car going 50 bucks an hour. I feel like the CT should do something about it, we are not really a priority area, nor should we be. I think there are so much investments. The city should focus their dollars there.

I want to do something and if there is guidance within the city where people could come together and spend their own money and approve some level of traffic calming, that would make a huge impact in a lot of residential streets where there is no funds to do something.

I will be willing – I do not know if we do this at PAC, or if we should do subcommittee. I hate to just say, let us write a letter. But if that is helpful, I could take a shot at starting something. I just keep thinking about ways to better utilize this committee and our time that we spend and if this is something that we can carve out as a meaningful way to contribute and get the city moving, maybe there is a whole bunch going on. I will leave it there.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Michelle? Maybe you can speak to this.

MICHELLE MARX:

There has been a little bit of activity on this topic but probably not as much as any of us would like. We have in the past, – I will speak to the trails and permits specifically that Don is referring to. We do have a permitting pathway in place to allow publicly made improvements in the right-of-way. So in Southwest, for example, there are all sorts of underdeveloped rights-of-way where Southwest Trance is interested, in doing the volunteer work to build a walking path. We do have a permitting pathway in place to allow that sort of activity.

When it comes to speed bumps on local streets, this is new territory for us. We have had neighbours in the past to pool their money to pay for street bumps. That is not something that we have figured out how to launch on a grander scale. There are equity considerations when one group of neighbours is able to self-fund the other is not. So how do we set up a true program that allows folks to self-fund in a way that this equitable. These are the questions that we have not really get answered, internally. But it is something that we have done and played with and are trying to think about how to make a real thing. I wish I had more to share with you, Josh. That is as far as we have come with it. Any ideas that the committee has that we should be exploring, it would definitely be helpful feedback to us.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

This struck me as a good degree of letter. If Josh understood in doing more investigation, or joining a small group, are you yellow to do subcommittees?

MICHELLE MARX:

Yes.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

A small group that does allow it. We will get involved with that and what we should be doing in this area for some I think that is a great idea. I know this has been a topic that has come up before. I think Evelyn, past PC member, was very interested in this as well. Mark and Josh have their hands up but I don't know if it is on this topic or another topic. It is about this topic please unmute.

SPEAKER:

Mine is, at a risk of paraphrasing I highly am supportive of this committee looking at some sort of citizens guide or toolkit to local traffic calming. As an equity perspective it would seem that this could potentially free resources from the city staff time and otherwise to focus on areas that have a greater

need and still allow a real grassroots effort on the local level. Particularly on designated streets of the type that Josh mentioned. If this is something that a subcommittee is interested in getting involved in, count me in.

SPEAKER:

I guess it makes sense for folks to send me a note via email if you are interested since we don't have a chat function. Or should I send any mail out to the group? To the list? Soliciting members. What do you think?

MICHELLE MARX:

That would be good if you want to send and emailed to the group and copy me and that way we have a record of the email conversation and we can enlist a subcommittee that way.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Thank you Josh that was a great topic. OK, Mark thank you for your patience.

SPEAKER:

I have an affirmation and then a question. I wanted to say congratulations to Michelle and Kristin on the Flanders bridge opening across the I405 which has been... With that barrier that is the affirmation part and the other is about the (unknown name) bridge but not necessarily in the timeline but there is an interesting moment where the freeway will be shut down and my understanding is that they will crane that bridge on the south side of the freeway across and I was wondering if it would be possible to get... I think it is. And soon and if it is possible to know when that is because there are people I know who are wanting to get some drones in the air and take some pictures of that freeway being close.

MICHELLE MARX:

What I can do is connect you with the project manager for that who would know those dates.

SPEAKER:

Is that Dan? If you could send the contact information that would be great.

MICHELLE MARX:

Yes you got it.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Any other hot topics? I will count to three. OK, then we are on to our first agenda item today. This is an e-scooter update.

JACOB SHERMAN:

hello everybody...

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Your sound is inconsistent.

JACOB SHERMAN:

how is talking a little louder? Is that better? We are in screen sharing has been disabled so Michelle I don't know if that is something you are able... Greg can you make him a host so he can screen share?

SPEAKER:

You should have that ability now.

MICHELLE MARX:

We are still having trouble hearing you I am not sure if you have a poor audio connection.

JACOB SHERMAN:

is this any better?

(Multiple speakers)Yes we can hear you.

JACOB SHERMAN:

thank you so much for having us, we really appreciate it. We wanted to give an update of where we are with the scooter program and share some of the program improvements that we are working on RFP's for. Just as a reminder about scooters there is research we have done and seeing an opportunity to bring scooters and specifically the fact that they have composed a fair number of trips through the surveys we have done several times now we have seen that scooters... Scooters replacing vehicles trips particularly we feel that there is a net positive climate benefit as well with the scooters.

This is a graphic showing some of the usage of the scooters over time by year and the yellow is from the 2021 calendar year. There are interesting things about this and you can see in 2021 we are starting to achieve the pre-pandemic levels in terms of ridership. We will be getting (indiscernible) and one of the about this as well is that (indiscernible) uber and lift rides (indiscernible) we are not entirely sure about the ridership but navies they are some of the options and that is an interesting observation.

MICHELLE MARX:

I am sorry to interrupt you but you might have to speak a little louder than you are used to because I think your audio is cutting out.

JACOB SHERMAN:

I am talking pretty loud where I am so I will talk a little bit louder and hopefully that will work and otherwise we will have to... Feel free to interrupt and see if we can come up with another option. We are implementing a number of new management strategies this summer. We will be working with the operators to request that they slow down rides for the first few times in order to get a better promotion of safety. We will allow them to test some of the geofencing requirements and we require companies to slow down certain areas. We are also going to be doing some more consistent parking enforcement.

This is to deal with issues and issue violations for scooters left improperly parked on the sidewalk or blocking a curb lane. We will talk about requiring pre-ride quizzes to help better educate users about the rules of the road. Michelle is not a little bit better on audio.

MICHELLE MARX:

It is a little bit better but as loud as you are comfortable speaking would help us.

JACOB SHERMAN:

Alright... How is this.

MICHELLE MARX:

That is so much better and thank you.

JACOB SHERMAN:

and we are not hearing wild feedback. Apologies for that. One of the things that we have been working on for the past any months now has been our request for proposals for new e-scooter companies to be providing service in Portland. As you may be familiar with we presented to city Council in October 2020 and gave an update of all the research we have done. Council directed PBOT to move forward with developing a long-term program focused on having one to three companies providing service here in Portland. We conducted a variety of public engagement activities throughout both the fall and winter of 2020 and there is a link to some of those materials and we will share the slide deck. We have continued our engagement activities through 2021. We are in the process of developing request for proposals based on the research we have been doing and what we have been seeing hearing from stakeholders and lessons learned from other cities to implement new requirements for providers. I will talk about some of those requirements in a minute. We have been delayed on our timeline for getting this request for proposals out because of the procurement office having limited staff capacity and it is also been some of our own limited staff capacity as we focus on other projects like relaunching car share in the city. At this point we don't have a solid timeline for when we plan on getting the RFP out and I have a meeting set with the procurement office set for next week where I hope to get a better sense of those things. We are guessing and emphasis on that word guessing, we might be getting the RFP out sometime after Labor Day with probably new operators starting in Q1 or Q2 of next year.

I wanted to talk through some of the topics that we are working on in the request for proposals to address some of the challenges that we know still kind of remain. One of the big strategies that we are pursuing around sidewalk safety and access is our plan to require lock to parking requirement. This would be that scooters would come equipped with a cable lock and we would require the companies to have users lock up scooters after they are used to buy cracks or other approved infrastructure so that they wouldn't just necessarily be strewn about the sidewalks or improperly parked. As part of our lock to requirement we are planning for more bike parking installation and prioritizing places like East Portland which in the analyses that we have done, have a pretty wide disparity in terms of infrastructure for bike parking. We will also continue to be issuing parking citations and are actually talking about increasing the level of citation because in many ways we think the companies might just factor this into the cost of doing business and so, if that is the case, we would like to make the cost of doing business a little more expensive in Portland if users are not following the rules. We also continue

to plan to require geofencing and (indiscernible) requirements in certain places and also increasing some of the rider education activities because as we have learned over the past couple of years, many scooter riders are not regular bike riders and do not regularly use bike town and in some ways, they are unfamiliar with the social norms and rules of the road but many of them learn about those rules of the road through the apps. Being able to better focus on in app education is one of those things that we think will have a better impact on behaviour.

Some of the other strategies that we are going to be reintegrating is strengthening the indemnification requirements. Making sure that the terms of the service are more transparent. We are really just that, I think we have heard from community members, associated with the pedestrian advisory committee on the topic of insurance and what happens if crashes happen. We are going to be asking companies about whether and how they would be willing to provide insurance to writers. There is a lot of questions whether the US insurance market is actually there, but we are interested in understanding what insurance options could be for writers. --riders.

We are also interested in price, price has started to increase since he scooters were on the streets. We will be asking questions about memberships, loyalty programs, subscription programs, and continuing to require low income pricing options and cash options and non-smartphone options. As we have done for scooters. And we have also required for this new car share company that is operating.

We kind of lead talking about why scooters? And some of the benefits of getting people out of automobiles in order to try to better facilitate that, we will be asking companies to their willingness to integrate their apps with TriMet, and other third parties in order to promote more seamless mobility.

We will also be asking questions to the companies about how e-scooters are more sustainable. Some of the other strategies that we are going to be focusing on that some members of the PAC might be interested in is the geographic availability. We will continue to require citywide use and are actively talking about putting caps on the number of scooters that companies can put around town or downtown each morning.

Just limiting the supply so that there is no issues of oversupply and then having scooters improperly parked on the sidewalk. A complementary strategy is that we are talking about coverage zones throughout other parts of the city with minimum requirements to better spread scooters out as a transportation option. We have a number of things in place and we have already worked on to improve the complaint and customer service process. One of those things is around doing an integration with the cities you 311 system that is currently being built out. It should be active in the next handful of months. The 311 will service the front door portal for the complaints and will cut – recreate an auditable log of those complaints. So that we can track those and see how the companies are doing in terms of responding to those issues.

We will continue to focus on partnerships and access, and implementing new requirements for scooters, at least, around equitable hiring and workforce development. I think we were particularly interested in hearing from PAC whether you have a question about some of these strategies. And in particular, the second question of what strategies should keep but consider prioritizing in the RFP?

And are there other strategies that we have not discussed that we might want to be thinking about? The list we just walk there is not a comprehensive list. These are just some of the items that we thought are particularly interesting to you all. We are interested to hear from you if you think that is better increase to access for our black, Indigenous, BIPOC, etc. If there's anything that we can do to provide more comfort and safety for pedestrians and people with disabilities? We think that the "lock-to" requirement will hopefully have a significant change. There is a key to their success. The city of sick -- Chicago recently implemented that requirement.

We are also interested in understanding your thought about other strategies that might be able to better promote some of our – from a policy perspective, high-value terms rather some of the other more also oriented trips. Maybe before we jump into our conversation, I want to remind folks, of our timeline. Over the summer, we will be implement to some of these new strategies that we talk to. Increase compliance around quizzes and education. We are continuing to plan about bike parking insulation. And we will be connecting with the city procurement office to continuing to develop and finalize the RFP. I want to say thank you for your time, and I am happy to open it up for questions.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you so much. This is very comprehensive. I will just take (Indiscernible) I am very in favour of "lock to" Requirement. I saw Josh channel 1st.

SPEAKER:

Hi Jacob. I am curious about the shared mobility as part of many solutions in our problems. Keep up the great work! I have noticed a huge difference in perception of safety with lower speed limits on the scooters. With them, limited back to 15 instead of 20 or 22. The way that they were running in the initial pilot. As you are looking at geophysical I would encourage geo-fencing to include, reducing speed limits to having pedestrian (Indiscernible) for top I know you have been also working on safety measures. With geo-fencing, speed reduction, or along the waterfront or things like that. I think that really enhances the experience for everyone where people walk next to scooters and people writing can still have the same silly grins.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

The next person is Josh Roll.

SPEAKER:

Thank you for the info. I am curious if there has been any thought of the to use agreements and data sharing that is going around that would allow for access to the data – sharing of the data so that we can understand safety activity in a fine-grained level while still protecting privacy. What might be you in terms of the data sharing? Jacob back I do not know if we thought about making significant changes in the data sharing setting.

SPEAKER:

They view their information as competitive business intelligence. Whether they share that with third parties in a way that protects that is – remains one of those questions. We have made an effort to take some of the data and publish it online. Eliminating company information. We are continuing to work on

opportunities to support the cities open data efforts to just make the data more available. I would be happy to follow-up with you more and we can talk about how our agencies might be able to work together in that space. I think it is useful, especially for active transportation planning purposes. Let us follow up on that.

SPEAKER:

Sure. Thank you Jacob.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Tiel?

TIEL JACKSON:

Thank you. I have some questions. First about the "lock to" System? How exactly does that work? Does that rely on the operator to lock the scooter to something suitable? Or does it enforce it in some way? This it continue charging the operator until the buck is liked – not until the bike is locked? My other concern is around....

Audio lost

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Tiel, you cut out there. Jacob, do you want to answer the question?

SPEAKER:

I think I am still sharing our screen. As you can see, the photo of this scooter, how the "lock to" system works is that the scooter would essentially attach with a cable lock, kind of fixed on it on the step. The requirement is that the writer-rider will lock it. We have heard from other cities and from operators that there might be advances coming that would allow them to have a smart block, if you will so that the act would know whether the scooter was locked or not locked. We are going to be asking questions in the RFP and got US technologies so that we can verify whether or not the lock is actually engaged at the end of the trip. I think that is the answer to the first part of the question before Tiel cut out.

TIEL JACKSON:

I am back. My connection is kind of lagging.

SPEAKER:

What was the second part of your question?

TIEL JACKSON:

It is about the business model. From what I understand, both the charging and the units and maintenance is basically being done on gig basis? I wonder if there is a way that we can leverage local workforce developments to develop skills, ongoing training, and building a career in maintaining these items? If not the charging?

SPEAKER:

I appreciate that question. I think through a number of our stakeholder engagement activities, we have heard people raise questions or concerns about the labour models that some of the companies deploy. We are thinking hard about implementing requirements to use W2 employees as opposed to gig workers. We think it might provide a number of benefits, one of those benefits being, probably having a more highly skilled workforce that is better able to maintain the equipment and the workforce themselves, as you are saying, might have pathways to a more economic opportunity. This is one of those areas that we are thinking pretty closely about. That gives you a sense of the direction that we are headed in.

TIEL JACKSON:

Thank you. That is excellent.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Rebecca?

SPEAKER:

Thank you so much Jacob and love. Always great to have you visit us and give us an update. I want to ask just a couple of questions pertaining to the questions you have on this last slide. You did a focus groups about the various and found that several of the barriers, and the infrastructure part, fits very nicely with some of the concerns of the disability community. If we did not have these, that will be a significant number of concerns. I wonder what he but is thinking about with expanding infrastructure, working with the bike planted, change it, increase it? Implemented more quickly? Recognizing that there is a fairly contentious discussion in the last month with the bike committee and the fact that there is the bike plan did not have as much internal support. I was 20 frigates beak to it a little more. And if infrastructure plays a role and also how about has purchased infrastructure on them.

JACOB SHERMAN:

I am not well-versed in speaking about that topic and I believe that Kristin might be on the call so I will put a pin in that and let her take that step if it is something that she is interested in. That said, we continue to advance our work like around central city in motion which is building significant infrastructure and we have seen through the data that when we create safe places for riders they prefer to get off the sidewalk. And into that infrastructure. Some of the data and education and restrictions we have put around waterfront Park as we were building out better (indiscernible) I believe it was a 45% decrease in ridership on the waterfront Park and 55% increase in ridership on (unknown term). We know that infrastructure works in this way and continuing to have the support of the pedestrian advisory committee helping advocate for some of those improvements that in many ways benefits cyclists but also benefits pedestrians. I think that is probably where I feel most comfortable speaking and if any other PBOT is on the call want to add to that as well...

ZOE KLINGMAN:

I will give people a chance to unmute if they want to add anything.

MICHELLE MARX:

I would just add that it was a poignant question and we do have a joint committee meeting with the

BAC next month and a large part of those joint meetings is to forge relationships and alliances between the PAC and the BAC so it is an interesting topic of conversation between committee members so how can we mutually support each other's missions. When there is this kind of cross pollination.

JACOB SHERMAN:

if I may, I think that is something and things like that would be valuable and we were there last week at the BAC and I shared this version of the story with them where in the BAC they were telling us why are you spending so much time on scooters? Cars are out there killing people on levels we haven't seen in a very long time, aren't you over revving on scooters? And I said when I talked to pedestrian advocates, I hear that scooters are kind of major threat and we should focus more on them. I do think it would be useful for these two bodies to talk more about some of those issues. It is not to say that you would come to consensus but I do think it would be valuable for more of that cross pollination as Michelle was saying.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

We can do one or two more questions and then we might need to move onto the next topic.

TIEL JACKSON:

I know we are over time but this is more than a comment than a question. What this reflects is that basically host of our modes are treated as marginal so we have a bike advisory committee and at pedestrian advisory committee and maybe soon we will have a scooter advisory committee and we sit here and give our little input but it seems like the main infrastructure that is out there is still car centred. To a much lesser extent may be bus centred and mass transit centred and the rest of us feel like we are peddling along in our little committees. That is a feeling that I have a lot. What is the authority over these alternate modes and how do we end up getting pitted against each other in our interest?

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Thank you I agree that there are a lot of things causing cyclists and pedestrian advocacy feel like they should be in conflict with each other. There is only one mode that is killing people on the streets.

TIEL JACKSON:

I don't expect you to look like you have the answer to that.

JACOB SHERMAN:

I understand your sentiments.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Last chance for questions or comments about e-scooter's and we will move on to the next topic. I will count to three.

OK, thank you so much for being here Jacob and love... Take a Mac we will make sure to pass on a copy of the slides and if you have additional questions feel free to reach out.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Thank you.

MICHELLE MARX:

Before we move on to the next topic I wanted to let the group know that I heard from the last speaker who is ill this evening so it looks like we may have an abbreviated agenda tonight. It is unexpected.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Thank you we will just talk about the Hollywood Hub for a longer time.

MICHELLE MARX:

I guess my colleagues don't mind at all.

SPEAKER:

May be while we are transitioning I was going to ask if Greg wouldn't mind giving Libby presenter privileges.

SPEAKER:

I believe Libby should have presenter privileges.

ZOE KLINGMAN:

Go ahead when you are ready.

SPEAKER:

I will do a quick intro... Fiona here Trimet and I am in urban design manager. I visited the PAC about a year ago may be a little before to discuss Southwest core door project. I recognize a lot of familiar names and faces. I am joined here tonight with Guy Benn who is the Trimet duty -- TOD program manager. And also Libby Winter who is our community affairs representative. Libby it looks like you are sharing but I only see... It says "Libby Winter has started changing -- sharing screen". Maybe you should X out and try again.

LIBBY WINTER:

Sorry I had a little internet (indiscernible)...

FIONA CUNDY:

We are here to give you an overview of our project but hone in on a specific topic about the pedestrian connection itself so thank you for having us and making space on your agenda.

GUY BENN:

Thank you very much for having us this evening and thank you also for the public comments and they had letters that were submitted. You may not feel that we have listened and we do acknowledge them and they are very useful so we look forward to continuing the discussions. Next slide please.

We have about 30 slides and we now have more than half an hour plus questions. We will run through

the slides quickly this evening and we are happy either to take questions... Probably at the end is easiest but if there is anything that is not clear or you can hear us these just interrupt us accordingly.

I will start with running through our TOD program to contextualize everything and then we will jump into the vision for the Hollywood transit Centre and talk about existing conditions. Then I will handed over to Fiona with her urban design and project management expertise will go into a little bit more of the design and some of the other design proposals that we think is going to transform the centre to a much more bike and pedestrian friendly location.

Just to contextualize things, I am sure obviously committee members and attendees you are very familiar with where it is. Why it is important? It is a very central Northeast neighbourhood and was developed as a streetcar (indiscernible) in the 1970s it has a one-dimensional population and is 70% white 1% black and... It reflects its history. There is in Hollywood in particular there is an extreme shortage of affordable housing. Trimet recognized this a while ago and we have also recognized and it has been looked at for over 15 years now that there have been issues with the Hollywood transit Centre and the safety and operation and infrastructure. As a result of that, we have been as an organization, we have looked at many different proposals and been through many different visioning exercises and ultimately, it led to running and RFP in 2017 where we selected a developer to move forward to deliver affordable housing on the site.

Before we get into a detailed on Hollywood, I wanted to touch on briefly our transit oriented development program. It was mentioned in Mr Adams... It is a new program and we are relatively new to our roles within Trimet and it has been reestablished as of last year when Trimet adopted some TOD bylines. Those guidelines serve many purposes but they are shown on our website. They are primary, big picture objectives and it is to promote equitable development and integrated communities. To use private partnerships to optimize density and deliver maximize affordable housing and to meet wider community neighbourhood needs in terms of housing, employment and amenities. Create integrated mobility hubs and to mitigate transit displacement by delivering affordable and market rate housing. And provide resources and protections to ensure favourable conditions for current and future operations.

That is obviously a lot of details to (indiscernible) in those statements. Since reestablishing the program, we have secured two different pieces of grant funding. One of which is through the transport grade management plan and that will basically unpack those guidelines and produce our regional TOD plan. This will answer a lot of the questions that have been put to us by people attending today's meeting and other committee meetings and associations. We also have a second piece of ground funded work which is more granular and will be looking at stationary and planning and redlined stations that are associated with the better read project. Both of those are listed on our website and we have presented them to the board and there is already some presentation materials on the website. So it will... We appreciate that what is happening at Hollywood is probably a little bit premature in terms of it happening before the plan is published. So people haven't quite seen how we have got to where we are today. On the right of this slide, there is a graphic and it shows the affordable housing projects and the other housing projects that are being delivered by Trimet in the last five years. I think it is noteworthy here that there is a total of 718 units that have been delivered and 477 of which have been

affordable. That is about 66%. By affordable, we use the federal hub guidelines which is 60% affordable to people earning 60% or less of the mean income or less.

I will let Fiona talk to this but one of the guidelines and the objectives is to create multi modal hub. I think Fiona if you want to jump in here.

FIONA CUNDY:

We are looking at the site design and how it fits into the world of these many different transportation networks. You might be familiar with the graphic on the right, it is something that we had developed for the station access conversations around Southwest corridor light project. It is not an adopted policy. It is really something we had to come up with to guide our conversations.

We are trying to extract – it is an important tool that matches the city of Portland's mobility hierarchy, that was adopted as part of the TSP plan. What it does is that it prioritizes which modes – on your site, adjacent to transit. Thinking about pedestrians, walking, public transit, freight, and where they sit in relation to each other. But to say one is more important than the other – it is a guiding force.

If you hone in on the tools, Libby, if you could press the slide – where does -- TOD fit within this hierarchy? As part of our tools, if you are able to position mixed income development at stations, and increase access to transit, you are trying to create a neighbourhood plan that is less dependent on car trips.

We -- we call it the trip not taken. This is a guiding tool moving forward to think about how the city is looking at mobility, and how can we adopt a similar hierarchy?

If we go to the next slide, one more. How we can help meet the city's mode goals. Perfect. This slide is, again, showing how our site which is highlighted here with the heart. How it fits into the broader context. We are so used to zooming in on site plans in Hollywood, we want to take a moment to step back and remind ourselves that this is a really wonderful neighbourhood, with lots of amenities, lots of small businesses, lots of public services and anchors.

We do see our transit sector as sort of the launch point that brings people into this fabric, that is Hollywood today. I do want to credit this graphic was produced by a couple of students that used our Hollywood Transit Center as a studio project, a few years ago.

If we go to the next slide... I cannot remember –

GUY BENN:

I will jump in again here. So, to build on what Fiona was saying, site opportunities. Something Hollywood is quite clear to us – it is an underdeveloped and underutilized site, in a vibrant neighbourhood. From a transit operations perspective, and we know it is a contentious issue. It is important to note that this site does not serve any bus layovers, it is not provide a park and ride, it has important TriMet infrastructure on the site, but is also 35 years old and needs to be removed.

We see it, and we talked about the demographics within the Hollywood neighbourhood. We are one of the key goals of our TriMet program is equity. We see it as an excellent opportunity to deliver a large amount of affordable housing. We know there were lots of comments about improved connection, or the important connections for transit ridership. We know that people moving from to and from transit, which is why we are promoting within the program to put density around transit stations where it is appropriate.

We see an opportunity to improve pedestrian safety, on more of these 42nd Avenues and Halsey Street. There was a fatality at that last year, we were less -- we were there less than two weeks ago. We saw a pedestrian was hit by a vehicle and they were OK. It is a known accident black spot. We will look at it later in the presentation, but it is not also – we recognize it as an important transit Centre. It is a place where people connect between modes.

At the same time, it is a very important bicycle corridor, and pedestrian corridor. We see the opportunity and we will talk about it a bit in the next slide, with the affordable housing building, and the revenue it is generating, it can be put into the infrastructure. It is a quid pro quo – we have to be fiscally responsible on how TriMet goes about its business. We are not making any profit from it, we are investing all of the money into the transit Centre.

We wasted the opportunity to convert a street which is the southern end of Northeast 42nd Avenue, into a pedestrian and bike friendly connection. (Indiscernible) in downtown Hollywood.

What you see here is a rendering of the housing straight, with the closure of that and of Northeast 42nd Avenue. We can remodel and rework each section of housing, at 42nd. To improve pedestrian safety where the fatality occurred. Next slide please.

We can deliver the affordable housing close to transit, which supports the transit system as a good connection. We think that the – we will talk about it more, the connections that exist between bus services, and the Max Station, are not today. The bus stops are somewhat remote. Very close to the highway.

There are safety issues that revolve constantly. We regularly have safety issues at the transit Centre. We think with good design and approach, we can meet the needs of the bus, of our bus riders and transit users. As well as pedestrian cyclists.

Finally, next slide please... and so, ultimately what we are looking to do with this project is a wholesale reimagining of the transit centre to address these items. The existing ramp listed here does not meet ADA compliance, there is a need, and there is a emergency related to affordable housing. These are comments we can talk about putting it elsewhere on the site, and ZIP Code boundaries.

Ultimately, we are looking at designs with affordable housing, and trying to work in best practice with TOD and if we put it on an island surrounded by buses, we would not be able to deliver the number of units – by rough estimate, I think it will be about half. Secondly, you would not have the street environment that is pedestrian, and bike friendly in front of the building. We have to try to find a

balance.

One of the key things is that public space, the connection between the bus stops, as well not just to the Max Station, but the bus stops from all over communities, Trader Joe's, the Target store, 24 hour fitness, and the rest of the Hollywood neighbourhood.

As mentioned previously, improvement to their house on the 42nd intersection. I will pass it on to funeral who will talk about the ramp concepts, and the options that TriMet is reviewing.

FIONA CUNDY:

We have an aerial image of what the transit centre looks like today. I want to reinforce, personally I'm very excited by this project. I would say that the move I will walk through is what unlocks the parcel for the development. There are four key parts of this I will talk about. I want to reinforce that TriMet is not a developer, we are a public agency that is looking at its assets, and resources, and like – "How can we really find the tools we need to address local housing crisis? And keep our region thriving?"

That is why we are working with bridge, to help develop the components of this project. Libby, if you want to scroll through I will go to these key -- there on the transit centre today. There are four bus stops. Those that move to an in Street facility, it needs to be upgraded so by moving it, We can free up the existing space with the infrastructure, as necessary.

The third component is looking at that ramp. As mentioned, there is a mural on it to commemorate. But, it is not up to code and provides a (unknown term) direction. We are looking to that dark purple arrow, to improve that connection for all user groups.

The fourth key component of this project is as mentioned, to reach beyond our site and look at the intersection of 42nd. How do we make this an entry point into downtown Hollywood?

So, if we go to the next slide, these are really an overview of the criteria we are using. – To look at different options. Safety is number one. We want people to feel safe, comfortable, good visibility on our site. Looking at access and mobility. There are many user groups who are using this corridor. We want to understand how they will interact at a very nuanced level. Schedule and budget, those are key to every projects success. Also, looking at operations and maintenance into the future. We've looked at our operations group at TriMet to hear the thoughts on our current concepts. And also, looking at the context and experience again, how this fits into the broader Hollywood fabric. And lastly, the development project I mentioned is key to this projects success. And looking at other environmental benefits and opportunities that we can achieve with this design.

So, if we scoot to the next slide, this will show – this is again, and overview map of the pedestrian – bike, PBOT map today. This is an important map showing the orientation, over 84 for a lot of bikes. It is the backbone of this larger network.

So, we spoke again, I mentioned about this last week, I honed in on those improvements on 42nd intersection and Halsey. We can also talk about our thinking around access to the future Sullivan's

Gulch Trail that is planned. We do have quite a bit of bike hub amenities proposed on our site, in the phase 1 development.

If we go to the next slide, this is just the zoom in of that map. We are just reinforcing that this is sort of, the launching point into downtown Hollywood. There is a lot of great connections. We hope to create a wayfinding component on our project site. You know? Some visual maps, some sort of art, perhaps steering people in the right direction as they arrive on the site from transit.

Next slide.

These are the three concepts that I will walk through. We do have some 3D, visuals that we would love to show, if we have time. But they really boil down into three core concepts. One of them as elevators and stairs. I think, we are pretty familiar with this is a region. Station areas and also crossing many highways, and water bodies that we have. The second option is looking at a compact ramp and stairs. This option really provides a more generous ramp but, looks at opportunities to retain some Plaza space. And the third, if you would take the whole 42nd corridor that is the street vacation, what does that look like in plan?

So, if we go to the next slide. This is a quick section to provide a bit more context. This pedestrian bridge, to the left of the slide is existing. It is a (unknown term) pedestrian ridge. It connects from the max platform over to Hollywood. You can see that we are dealing with about 13 feet of elevation change. That is a pretty large topography to have to engineer and design our concept around. And so, the bottom graphic boils down, how do you... basically design a friendly concept given all of that grade? And this also shows the substation tucked in at the edge of the pedestrian bridge.

No changes to the pedestrian bridge -- new changes to the pedestrian bridge and if you go to the next slide -- I don't know I keep saying scoot!

So, this is a comparison matrix that we have put together. It stems from the framework of using the station access mobility framework hierarchy. So looking at the different user groups, pedestrians, TOD, bicyclists, transit, autos. And, the conditions on site today. We gave them a rank. Whether it is standard, substandard, standard or adequate is the three. Better is it to. And one is best. This tries to capture our goal of trying to add value for all modes within our design, on-site.

I won't go into the nuances of all of these, but it is basically trying to capture where the areas of improvement and opportunity are. And then, what our goal is on how to capture those in the designs we are proposing.

So, the first concept is the elevators and stairs. When we met pretty early on, with our committee, we -- they had been shown concept with one elevator. He heard clearly that to our preferred from a redundancy perspective. This concept has two elevators. A generous, centre staircase, and a broad plaza area. Closer to Halsey. I do want to point out on the slide, that on the bottom of your screen, on the east side of our site, we are retaining a core door. It would be 12, closer to 14 feet. And really, what it is is a short term access for our substation. The substation is in that little box, below. There is

large equipment that needs to be accessed frequently. So, this not only provides TriMet maintenance requirements, but it also provides a future access from our site to the future Sullivan's Gulch Trail.

If you don't mind scrolling your mouse where the Sullivan's Gulch Trail would be? It is on the bench, right behind our site, it is properly owned by UPR R. The railroad. So... why don't we look at the overview images of the next concept.

We do have some videos that we hope captured this -- the scale of the site a bit better than the still images. This is just some images from Halsey. And then, if we look at the next slide – it is our second concept. Again, these are all in concept form. None of this has been engineered, or designed. You will notice there is not any site furnishings, or handrails placed yet. That is all to come as we choose which option is the best for the site.

So, this concept is looking at sort of a big upgrade to what is there today. It is fitting the substation at the foot of the bridge. It is creating a sort of generous upper Plaza and then a much, much wider ramp that is up to code in terms of grade. And also, a sort of broad staircase that could be used as a flexible amphitheater sort of space for public events that could happen in that area. This would also incorporate the future Sullivan's Gulch Trail. You will notice that in the bottom of the screen. And then, I think we have a few imagers of -- images of how that looks from a pedestrian view. We know this is a strong core door, so you will notice there is a hint of – what could be a bike facility, kind of identified through the centre LA.

We should also point out that we are thinking about how a phase II development site could really have an activation stays – backspace on the ground floor. This could be a nice site for coffee shop, or something to really have a presence in this corridor.

The next concept is what happens if you take the whole site, and you started a Halsey Street, and slowly worked her way up about that 13 foot grade difference to get the bridge, what does that look like? We heard a lot of feedback early on from the committee and other stakeholders, there is concern about – there is a love for this universal design that this provides. But, there's a bit of a fear about having too many user groups. Bicyclists coming down the ramp, when someone is trying to will a stroller up it. So, we tried to figure out how could we tease out the bikes, so they could have their own corridor and preserve the western portion of this for more gentle inclines with breakpoints. For all other user groups.

This also incorporates stair access on each side, so there is some connection between the Hollywood transit Centre, and the future Sullivan's Gulch Trail to the other side of the development where there will be a phase I development courtyard.

And we have a section at the bottom, that shows that topography. If we go to the next slide... we get a few more images to see the space a bit better. And... I think that's all I have to say about that slide.

These are the three concepts again. The overview, their differences. We are trying to collect feedback from all user groups, so we can understand which option accommodates all user groups, the best.

And, I think we have one more next steps slide. You will touch on that and then we will open it to questions, comments, conversation.

It is a multistep process of getting all of this infrastructure off the future development site. So, where we are today, we are trying to share these design concepts more publicly. Really get some good feedback, and we have direction on which is most appropriate to move forward. We did hear back from the city, we had an early assistance initial meeting with them in... I want to say it was March now? And, they have decided to sponsor this project. On the location of 42nd Avenue. It allows us to build this infrastructure and improve the connection.

There are two traffic studies underway. One specifically for the develop and, the phase 1 development project. That has come back positively. There are not any mitigations that would be required from that building. And we also have a bus routing and neighbourhood traffic study on the way. That is in progress.

I should also point out that we do have a memorial strategic planning committee and that is really looking at when we do demolish the existing ramp on site, how do we give the memorial its next iteration of existence? And so, we are very fortunate to have a coworker, Michelle they Mackey, who is working on that piece. -- Michelle (unknown name), who is deciding and how that take place. Whether that is events, on our site, or the next iteration.

And I would say the next big milestone for this project, is the notice of funding availability came out last month for the Metro housing bonds and so our partner, bridged of element, will be pursuing those in order to implement that phase 1 affordable housing develop and project.

So. That was a lot! I am hoping maybe we can pause for questions, comments stop --. And if folks want to see the videos, we can do a time check and see. They are about 30 seconds long.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you so much. There was a lot of information and it is so wonderful to see developments like this take place.

I did want to, before folks start raising their hands, make sure some of the questions that came from the public at the beginning of the meeting are addressed. I'm not sure if you were here for the first part of the meeting? But we did hear from a couple of folks who were concerned about a couple of different things. I think the biggest piece of it, if I'm summarizing correctly, was about the change to the people who are taking a bus and going to the train. My brain is not working right now! But moving the bus stops further away from the transit stops. And what kind of impacts that would have.

Maybe if you could talk a bit about what impact that will have on people, and how you're thinking about that?

GUY BENN:

Shall I start? And if I miss anything (indiscernible).

We have looked at it. We have been looking at transfer numbers, at Hollywood and looking back pre-pandemic. Because we all know, that the pandemic had a significant impact on ridership. It is coming back, slowly.

The long and short of it is, they are to impacts. Firstly, is that the walk from the bus stop to the station is going to increase. Undeniable. People say 200 yards, it is debatable what the exact distance is. But, we are looking at notch through the designs that Fiona has shown, but improving the way that walk exists. That is one key objective in this project. Secondly, as Fiona mentioned, we are looking at making sure that there is signage and communication boards that allow customers to see how long they have to get from the bus stop, to the Max Station. We have talked about separating – if you look at the transit Centre today, if you are walking along the sidewalk, northeast on 42nd Avenue, where we are proposing to vacate, the cyclists are actually directed onto the sidewalk. Anyone going south, wanting to cross the bridge, is sharing a sidewalk with pedestrians. That is not an ideal situation.

We also hear regularly from cyclists, and from the accessibility committee, that there is a conflict on the ramp structure quite often, you can get some way out of -- somewhat Apple ramp, and you see someone coming down, and it is (unknown term) (indiscernible). These are under considerations.

I am not sure whether it is in here, but we have modified the design to bring the bus stops further – (indiscernible), certainly in the pictures of concepts three. This will do.

Basically, on this slide, here, you can see the existing sidewalk. It is about seven feet wide. Between Housley Street and the transit Centre. What we are looking at is creating a similar island, so that buses will come into the site, and be protected from Housley Street and protect them from people getting off in awe. -- On and off. Services and operations team, we – it was mentioned earlier, we have very strong feedback from Hollywood East and the 77 bus. We recognize that completely. We reckon Isaac completely. That coincide with this project, but the two things are separate items. This project can keep moving forward as we have designed it. With a 77 staying on its current route.

The final thing, I think you mentioned here, is that we do recognize some customers are going to have to – if they are connecting customers, they will have to cross Halsey Street. Because it will be on the north side the street. If they are travelling westbound. That is unavoidable. It is just one of the trade-offs that we have to make in order for the affordable housing benefits. We are fully committed to making sure that there are protected crossings. So that way, pedestrians and cyclists, when they cross that street – you can see this crossing at the moment. That is one of the issues why there is more pedestrian accidents here.

We have got – part of the reason why we commissioned the traffic engineer to look at the bus changes, is to look at all of these impacts. To look at – how can we make this intersection better? How can we fit this to be the best as possible?

There are a lot of issues we are bouncing. And that we are looking at. And as said earlier, we do

appreciate the feedback, and we do take it into consideration. I think there was a question that was raised in a public – I mission to the committee – about where to shuttles get in? And we are working with our planning team. Whether that is Providence, who were running a shuttle to their facility, to the east of Halsey. It is not running at the moment. It is a pilot project, anyhow. We are looking at where the shuttle would park to allow – whether it is a providence shuttle or a lift shuttle, and making sure those customers have the best possible experience. We hear feedback from stakeholders. We will continue to get feedback from stakeholders.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you for being straightforward about the trade-offs. As someone who has previously used that transit, it really does not work there. It is really bad. It is not safe and is inconvenient if you are on foot.

I do have some concern when you talk about people needing to cross the street in order to make that transfer. Because, you could have all the infrastructure you want, people will try to cross that street against the light if they are running for their bus. And so, that is something I think needs to be accounted for. Even if we have a better crosswalk, and better lights there. That might cause some conflict.

TIEL JACKSON:

A couple of comments. One is the slide deck that was shared with us, it is a bit different than the one you have been going through. The one we got did not have the TOD material, along with a couple of other things. I wanted to make sure you could share that with Michelle, and she could share with us.

I have some concerns about – several things. One, one of the elevators. PAC has raised some concerns, relative to – that's fine. In conjunction with the bridge around elevators, and their reliability. And the maintenance on them. That may be a concern for this design.

On both version 2 and version 3, I'm wondering about I'm concerned about the spot to the right. That could be a creepy spot at night. All of these designs, I'm sure these are things that will come later. But, they should be considered from the start, is – what kind of trees are you proposing to put in between these two tall buildings? They will not get a lot of light. How do you propose to keep the sidewalk in the area maintained if these are trees of any size?

Sorry that is about four questions. (Laughs)

FIONA CUNDY:

You are totally right, trees are a lot of maintenance. We are working with the city of Portland forest routine. There are a few trees on site today, that would most likely need to be removed in order to construct this. I think we are realistic. This is still concept, again, not designed, or engineered. As we move further into this discussion, I think we will have a really better sense of what specimen would be appropriate here when looking more closely at spacing, and the size of trees. And what not. We wanted to be a pleasant space. We will have to comply with the tree mitigation requirements, but I think there is a lot of future discussions that will happen around that topic.

I am looking at the ramps. I believe on concept two, our ramp with -- width is about 7 1/2 feet, cleared. And I believe on option three of us --... the tightest point is about 10 feet. That is where the stairwell closest to policy -- Halsey comes off of that ramp. To your point, there's a lot of room for improvement on these. Again, we are just trying to get the initial -- how do we bridge that 13 foot difference on site in the most appropriate way?

Looking more closely at that phase 2 building, adjacency. You do see that funny little space. We have a lot of (unknown term) sightlines, criteria that we use when we designed these projects. That is not gotten applied yet. But it will definitely come into play. I will say that the site, the phase II site, there is not a financial plan for it just yet. It is sort of a dashed line on our site. Guy, if you could jump in and talk about that? We are really trying to think about how that site will lend itself over the construction of the phase 1 development. It will be sort of a temporary construction access point. But then, trying to figure out how that will interact with our space in the future will be key to the success of this project design.

GUY BENN:

Thanks Fiona. It is a line, it is blocked out. It is a plot. We recognize the visibility, and sidelines are very important. Conceptually, we thought about indoor and outdoor spaces, under the ground floor on the first floor of that phase 2 site. For those of you that know what must be done with that, that type of community, or an indoor outdoor space and those types of things.

We think it would open up the courtyard in front of the bridge building, and create this narrow corridor which can be intimidating, if you were to go with the option three, or concept three as shown here. As Fiona said, it is an early concept.

A lot of refinement coming forward. For instance, two and three create a long, narrow corridor between the 24 hour fitness building, and the ramp structure. That is something we need to think about -- how we make sure that is working? Lighting, and how other techniques can be used to make sure it is safe.

There is lots of detail to come. Really from a budget issue, there is so much detail when you progress the designs. We are trying to identify what is the best design. That works for the biggest stakeholders, without the fatal flaws. Then we will invest further money moving that forward, and taking additional comments, and feedback for stakeholders.

You also mentioned, the elevators -- our facilities management team would agree with your comment. (Laughs) They are not fans. They are space efficient. We also have to work with the owner of the tourney for our fitness building, to find a solution that will work with them.

We recognize all of these, and we have to get this feedback -- it is very helpful. We can put it into our assessment, and we will continue to evolve these models.

FIONA CUNDY:

You are hitting on the conundrum we are dealing with. There is a lot we are trying to pack into the

pretty narrow street, right away. -- Right of way. And seeing which option really serves the most user groups, and the best spatial fit.

TIEL JACKSON:

With option three I'm not seeing the advantage to having stairs on both sides.

FIONA CUNDY:

I would -

GUY BENN:

If for example, in this scenario, if you were to live in a bridge building, and you came off of the Sullivan's Gulch Trail, to get to the courtyard area, if you were going from the 24 hour fitness building to the gym, to the bridge building, to prevent having to walk around the stairs, to get access. Obviously somebody fits in the 24 hour fitness, but they have an entrance which is off Halsey Street, looking off Northeast 42nd Avenue, then having to go back around – they can cut through.

There are certain – quite often, people with sight disabilities prefer stairs, to ramps. It is subject to further design, and refinement. We are going back to the committee as we divine -- design these concepts. With different users.

It is a factor of space, Halsey Street is a confined street – we are trying to put a lot onto the site. We can do a good design, but we do have a limited width to play with here. 13 feet to climb up.

TIEL JACKSON:

What if there was an underpass under the ramp?

GUY BENN:

Again, it is potential. We can look at it. An underpass creates their own – throughout common areas, they create problems with potential camping, and other possible nuisances there.

We are looking at all of the options. We are trying to push forward.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Mark had his hand raised.

SPEAKER:

Thank you for coming in on the presentation. I appreciate the work on the site, and the look at regionally, and the affordable housing site. It is a huge opportunity as far as the region, and to the system. To build out. This site I have been looking at for a long time. I had a few questions: looking at these three concepts, I do not know which of the two to direct these questions too, I will direct it out there. Do these represent a similar cost option? Are these, one, two, three roughly the same, do we know? In terms of cost?

FIONA CUNDY:

We can understand which ones will be the most expensive for the budget.

SPEAKER:

As we go and find things we like, they can be a point in the future where we find out that everybody likes option three. But it looks like it is pretty expensive and has the largest footprint. Then we are back to option one, it looks like a couple of elevators in a tight space, it can be very dark. I'm feeling it will go all that way down from Halsey, I guess. The sooner we get a quick price estimate on these, and get feedback would be one thought.

Another thought is: what about a setback on the building on the left? In this view, it is a fixed building that is there – the 24 hour fitness one. The things on the right are not there. There is space to make it potentially more inviting, or create more space for ramps, stairs, larger Plaza, more of a gathering space that feels more open, and less like a slot. I appreciate the challenge you have fear of getting 13 vertical feet, and we have 200 foot distance from Halsey to this bridge.

You are in control of the property to the right of the screen. Is there a way to use some of that space more effectively and trying to create this connection and space for this connection that could feel perhaps more comfortable? And create more options, give you more flexibility? And making that difference is another question?

GUY BENN:

We have looked at them. We will continue to look at them. There is the plans to make the economics of the affordable housing building work. So, one of the reasons why the configuration is what it is, I touched on earlier – there is a difficulty in developing something that runs through the site. Which dictates your tax credits, which dictates where it is viable to build a building.

Bridges are in a Catch-22, where they progress their design so far, but until they get additional funding – they cannot move forward. I think as we progress the designs, we look at what is working and what is not. We will continue to do that.

We will look at whether we can get – whether we can get some bonuses, and what it amplify the value of the tax credits outside of the boundary. Something I know that will go to the legislator, but I need to follow up on it.

There is always, you are right. It is definitely – there are two other points I would make, we are also trying to deliver, candidly. You get to a certain point... the funding for affordable housing, the funding received from the affordable housing bond was issued last month, beginning next month.

Bridge wants to move forward with that. We have not had the option or luxury to take the design further. We do not want to miss that opportunity, (Indiscernible) Bridge does not want to miss it either.

Those bonds – it is likely there will be another offering in 12 months time. It is unclear for the future is whether there will be additional funding. We will continue looking at it, development as you know, it is a process. It will take more than promised. We have conversations about shifting the boundaries, even 5

feet to make it work – maybe that will still happen.

FIONA CUNDY:

I think the take away from that is that the infrastructure budget is going to start design, late summer fall. As well as the housing projects that will start the design. Once we are full speed ahead, there will be a lot with that coordination. To figure out where it outlines. What do they need to make it economically viable? Pushing on that edge, a bit more.

SPEAKER:

Like you were saying, there might be too many balls rolling around. There might be something to look at there. My last question: this may be too far down the pipeline, this is a pretty hostile site on both sides. We got the freeway, and the rail on one side on Halsey which is not a quiet street on the other, I guess. A question – the ship may have sailed on this for now, was there consideration, may be leveraging this site – getting the transit connections, the bridge connections, and working on a deal where you can move this affordable housing to another site in Hollywood? Guy, you are right that this neighbourhood has an affordable housing shortage. We are putting 200 units of housing next to the freeway, and operating heavy rail lines down into the ditch there.

Not to mention on the other side of Halsey, which is very high volume at this location, and busy. Maybe a thing to think in the future would be leveraging these properties we have with these transit centres, when we are going to redevelop, is the best location for affordable housing, we are in a housing crisis – we need to be opportunistic and build what we can? Yes, probably. Could this housing have been closer to grocery stores and other stores in the district? I know target has other kinds of produce at the site, this site is tougher affordable housing in terms of getting it in there.

I do applaud 200 units of affordable housing is a huge achievement, it would be great to get in here. I am projecting in the future with the site. My last little bit would be on phase 2. Phase 1 is a nice building, there is an opportunity to create a place here, and shield the noise from the freeway – the harshness from everything going on. Just to the south of the site. Or North, on the freeway side.

Is there an opportunity for open space, or somewhere where the committee can come together and have a space? That is theirs. In this location. As suggested in phase 2. We have a housing crisis, we need housing. I totally understand that pressure. I am just wondering about more space.

GUY BENN:

To answer your first point, whether it is an appropriate location for affordable housing – respectfully, I think we -- do believe it is. That is why we have pushed forward. Housing on 43rd, and housing on the south side of the street. You have Trader Joe's across the street, and Halsey Street – yes. It is sometimes, it is heavily trafficked Street. PBOT is already doing some work further to the east, to improve that.

Turning lanes and making it one lane, etc. And by clients. We will continue working with PBOT with this project, to do what we can. The scope of our project can only go so far. That is the reality of it. We have to run the project like everybody else.

It will evolve, and I think with time, and working together we can all help improve the conditions on housing. Part of our vision is that you know this connection, this north-south connection, Northeast 42nd Avenue. It is really the goal to turn these into pure pedestrian streets. We would be delighted if that happened.

That is for the future. That is on the housing side of things, the second part of your question – it is now escaping me. (Laughs) I will go to Fiona.

FIONA CUNDY:

How to create a place with phase 2.

GUY BENN:

Oh, yeah. Thank you. Point taken. We are really open, as to what that would be. It will not be on the scale of what phase I is. It is an interim step, that space – the community space. We have set the bridge, and its operating parts, the CBC, SEI, we are looking at a way that we can use phase II site of programming. And community activity, to perform phase II when building comes along.

I do think there is a call to do, whether it is a full building or some sort of structure that will create – creates transparency into the site, but also protects it from housing, and a sense of place. We are very much early days on that. At some point, when time and budget... the opportunity is there, then we will push it forward.

SPEAKER:

Thanks.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you. I think this is the last question.

TIEL JACKSON:

I hesitate to raise this, but it goes along with Mark's point about appropriate housing. I just wondered, if any air quality studies have been done at the site? With Halsey on one side, and the freeway on the other. It seems like the air quality could be pretty poor?

Maybe the housing maybe needs to include air-quality mitigation built in from the start. As a public school employee, we have grappled with this for the last several months around in person schooling, and around air-quality issues with the middle schools. And the widening project.

(Multiple speakers)

GUY BENN:

It's a great point. It has been considered. This is part of the economics of this project, which makes it challenging. Which is why they are eager. You get economies that scale. This will be a fully air-conditioned building. This will not be naturally ventilated.

Recognize that there are air quality issues related to Wi-Fi. Part of what – you know, it sounds crazy – part of our program is to make sure that we actually get people out of their cars, and using transit. This is making that pedestrian bike friendly environment.

It is a very good point. It is being considered. It has not been tested. Not that I am aware of. It will be tested. It is likely that whether it is TriMet, or not, we will mention this and work it out between us how to get that all sorted out.

TIEL JACKSON:

Thank you.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Any other questions for our presenters on this topic? I will count to five...

FIONA CUNDY:

We will definitely send out an update on the slide deck. We are hoping to incorporate a few more pieces about the development itself. On the project. And respond to some of the comments earlier today.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Great. I'm not seeing any other questions for PAC members, thank you so much for being here Fiona and Guy. Our last item of the day is another round of public comments, we have people's hands up. Let's see... I saw that Todd Bullinger, Todd – go right ahead.

SPEAKER:

I assume the bicycle advisory committee has made some suggestions as to the double back ramps and that. And regarding option one – there are some better Dutch designs out there that are road tested and I would recommend the designers look at that. From a pedestrian standpoint, is it possible for an option for in the sense, joining this facility and bringing the elevators out to the street and linking it to the future development? So it is not so trans elevator, but as a dual use and also maybe as a second-story of the future TriMet building? So there is more activity and more involvement by on-site security and such.

Thank you.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Great. Thank you. Fiona, I'm not sure if you have a comment in response? If not, we can go to the next person. OK. Thank you. I'm going to go to Doug.

SPEAKER:

Hello. I think most of the points I made in my written comments still stand. But, I would like to point out particularly with regard to the comments some of the PAC members made about alternative one, with the elevators. This whole transit Centre – one of the principal reasons was to facilitate transfers

between the station and bus service. I haven't heard much of anything he said about what this will do to the Max Station. Because, the Max Station has no ADA accessible ramp from the bridge to the Max Station. It served for people who needed that with elevators. There is already an elevator there. I have to admit, I have only been in the elevator once. Because – elevators have all these problems. I am not defending the existing situation there. But, I would like to see the situation improved and certainly, in terms of visibility as an isolated location, the Max Station will be much less visible. Much more isolated. All in this development.

I would like to see some concern put in two – how do we make this whole area better for transit riders, not less inviting for transit riders? I think somehow we lost the purpose of this facility. We hear about trade-offs, and they have to be made. But, well, I don't think that's acceptable from a transit agency.

Thank you very much.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you Doug. That was well put. Marian. I apologize, I'm not exactly going in order.

SPEAKER:

I agree with what Doug said. As a transit rider, this is a transit centre and it is not a neighbourhood gathering place. It is not a housing – it should be a transit Centre. Find different place to build your neighbourhood. I also realize that this air-quality issue is important. People will not spend all their time closed up in their apartments. They will get out. They will walk. It will go to the grocery store. They will be dealing with that bad air. That is true. You have to make some kind of a public place, gathering place here? With that kind of air quality can back it doesn't make any sense to me.

There are a lot of reasons to not do that. It is a transit Centre.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you. I will go to LaJune.

SPEAKER:

My comment is not about this project. It is about the scooter presentation. It would best be addressed to Jacob. But, I want to refer back to what (unknown name) said. It would be really good if we could make comments at the end of the presentation. And (unknown name) has been a huge advocate for pedestrians and for walking. I believe he was even a member of the pedestrian advisory committee at one time. I would urge you to listen to him. He probably had something important to say.

My comments about you scooters is that Jacob, mentioned insurance. The companies providing insurance for the Z scooter riders. But, I am other people Mike and other people are concerned about people providing liability insurance for people who may be hit by E scooters. All of us who live downtown have stories. War stories about almost being hit by E scooters. But, he did mention that. I think that was an important thing that he left out. Thank you.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you. I know this is a topic you brought up number of times at the PAC, so, I'm hoping this can address some of your concerns. So, the (unknown name),

(Multiple speakers)

SPEAKER:

Definitely. Definitely. This is a huge improvement. He mentioned – well, the two things you have said. There are areas that are pedestrian priority, areas like the Esplanade and the South waterfront. And E scooters can be brought to a slow stop, so it is not dangerous for the writer, and this -- writer, and disallowed in certain areas. I won't pretend what -- to say what other parts of the city need. Like on 82nd, it is probably way better for each scooter riders to be there. We know we've had people killed.

But, anyway. This is a huge improvement. I want to commend him for that.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you. Thank you for stating your case on this. OK. Thomas Craig?

SPEAKER:

Hi. Hello.

I am Thomas Craig. I grew up near the Hollywood transit Centre. I now live in North Portland, near colonial Park. Lived here for 35 years, my whole life. I just quit a job wrote -- about five months before, so maybe you'll hear from you more now!

Just a few comments on the content of the meeting as a whole. This was a great discussion. I appreciate you all being here, and taking your time. It was great to hear about the tactical urbanism issue and I really wish we could do more to allow people to work within their localities and I also appreciate the concerns around making sure those resources are more evenly spread around the city. And, addressing those equity concerns. (Laughs) I would love to coordinate on my block, and I would love to do so illegally and just put barriers at the end of the block. I live off of Lombard, and it is just disastrous. There are kids growing up in the street, they can't actually have lives out there.

About the scooters, this was an interesting discussion. I did have some concerns and the comments really spoke to me. The parking requirement – sounds a little concerning? I need to understand the impact that will discourage a trip, it is probably bad. When that trip happens, we were or some other mode. If that requirement is adding a barrier to choosing to take a scooter, then I think that is problematic.

Those other options, we talked about the crumbs we all eat in the car getting the pie. More parking for scooters, can we take parking spots? (Laughs) Can we have scooter parking spots instead? Is that an alternative approach to the lock requirement that provides more ways to divert those from the sidewalks?

I ultimately, I broadly support Doug's message in his letter. I appreciated seeing TriMet adjust its

messaging as expressed by Doug. I was on a call with a few folks of weeks back and I enjoy seeing the developed ramp concepts. And hearing that TriMet specifically disentangled the issue from that 77 change, that was a big issue. I do think the core issue with this project remains that it is an increase in the transfer additions -- distance and the comment about writers having to cross Halsey is an important one.

I would like to see -- what are more of the -- what is more of the pie we can take from cars? And get more into the pedestrian and transit pile? A bus lane on Halsey? What is the design we will get on the intersection to increase safety for riders crossing the street and pedestrians? Wider sidewalks? I would love to see more push towards more improvements for the transit riders and pedestrians if we are going to make any sort of compromise. Let us fight to take something from cars. Which, I know you all agree. I am preaching to the choir.

But, thank you.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Thank you. That was a really, he has a comment. -- Comprehensive comment. (unknown name)? If you still want to speak, you are welcome to.

MICHELLE MARX:

I think she ducked out of the meeting.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

OK. I hope we will hear from her next month.

OK. Well, that is all. I don't see any other hands from the public. This is your last chance, if you still have a public comment.

I want to thank our presenters and PAC members, and members of the public for a great conversation. Guy?

GUY BENN:

I know we didn't get to show the fly through his. We will be -- videos, we will be putting them on our website shortly. And Todd's comment earlier. We did discuss a lot of issues that were raised with PAC. We are working with those communities. We will continue to do so. Our website and TriMet/org/TOD has the contact details for us as a team. You can email us with any more comments or questions.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

Great. Thank you so much. And this is a topic that will come back as it continues to be developed.

Great. Thank you all again. I think that does it for our meeting tonight!

MICHELLE MARX:

And one more plug to send me your (indiscernible) by the end of the week.

ZOE KLINGMANN:

We have to do that as well! Have a good night everyone.

Live captioning by Ai-Media