While Portland Bureau of Transportation crews jump into the 2018 construction season, the planning and design of future projects continues as the bureau looks toward 2019. One such project is the East Portland Access to Employment & Education (EPAEE) project. EPAEE is a comprehensive, Metro-funded project dedicated to improving East Portlanders' access to public transit, parks, schools, and community centers. The project is currently in the early design phase and is scheduled to begin construction in the summer of 2019. PBOT applied for funding for this project based on needs articulated by East Portland Action Plan members and engaged community residents through East Portland in Motion. The project is funded by $5.5 million Metro grant and $1 million in system development charges.
What do we mean when we say “Access to Employment & Education”? Our goal is to enhance access to major employment hubs and business districts including the Gateway Regional Center, Mall 205, Halsey-Weidler Business District, Division-Midway District and the Rosewood Initiative District. The project will also improve walking and biking access to eight public schools including David Douglas High School, Floyd Light Middle School, Sacramento Elementary and Glenfair Elementary School. Public transit access improvements will help residents connect to more distant employment and education centers including downtown Portland, Clackamas County, Portland International Airport and the Columbia Corridor, via light rail or bus. Finally, the project will connect to major community open spaces including Gateway Discovery Park, Kelly Butte, Glenfair Park, Parklane Park and eight additional neighborhood parks.
As part of this project PBOT intends to:
- Complete missing sidewalks: SE Market from 92nd to 130th and SE Cherry Blossom from Washington to Market
- Pave unimproved streets: SE Morrison between 154th & 155th Ave
- Install traffic calming along the 100s and 150s bikeway route
- Install crossing improvements on SE Stark, SE Powell, NE Glisan, NE Halsey
- Complete new trail connections at: SE 108/Franklin; 106 south of Market; 106/Wasco; 106/San Rafael
- Install buffered bike lanes on SE Market & SE Cherry Blossom
- New transit island at SE 106th & SE Cherry Blossom
- Reconfigure NE Glisan from 102nd to 122nd to a 3-lane cross section with buffed bike lanes
- Build a two-way cycle track on SE 106th between Main & Stark
- Install a mini-roundabout at NE 108th & Oregon
- Install Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant curb ramps throughout project area
The EPAEE project is currently at 30 percent design and we are looking to get feedback from community members who live and will use these planned improvements.
Want to learn more or interested in giving project managers your feedback? Joins us at one of our upcoming open houses about this and many other projects happening in East Portland:
East Portland Open House #1
May 16, 2018 from 4:30-7:30 p.m.
805 SE 122nd Ave, Portland, OR 97233
East Portland Open House #2
June 5, 2018 from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
16126 SE Stark St, Portland, OR 97233