What's happening now
Construction began in July 2020 and is expected to run through July 2022. Residents and nearby businesses can expect construction noise. People travelling on SW Naito can expect delays.
Sign up for construction updates
Get the latest updates about this project.
Portland’s SW Naito Parkway is getting a major facelift with new, smooth pavement extending from I-405 to just beyond SW Jefferson Street. From I-405 to SW Harrison, the street will be repaired and repaved. Beginning at SW Harrison and extending north to SW Jefferson, SW Naito will be completely rebuilt from the ground up, with safety and efficiency improvements for all travel modes.
The project also includes a host of signal and pedestrian crossing upgrades:
- signal upgrades at SW Market and SW Clay
- a new pedestrian signal midblock between SW Harrison and SW Clay Street.
- a full pedestrian signal at SW Jefferson with connections to Tom McCall Waterfront Park
- a new traffic signal on the Hawthorne Bridge to improve traffic operations for vehicles approaching from SW Naito Parkway
- a two-way separated off-street path between SW Harrison and SW Clay Street
All of these improvements will increase safety and efficiency while decreasing conflicts between road users.
Traffic modeling of the project shows improved operation for the whole corridor. The new traffic signals and updated timing will help move more people and vehicles through the corridor in less time.
News Blog: Big changes coming to SW Naito Parkway thanks to Fixing Our Streets
$1,600,000 from Fixing our Streets and other funding from Transportation Development charges and other sources. Fixing Our Streets funds are also leveraging additional Oregon Department of Transportation funding.