What’s happening now? (Updated Aug 2023)
This project is currently in the 95% design phase.
The project was paused because the project's striping work must be performed in dry and warm weather and PBOT will miss this window with the current project schedule. This has caused the construction to be delayed until Summer 2024.
PBOT is designing improvements to SW Multnomah Blvd from SW 37th Ave to SE 40th Ave. The project will restripe the existing space to provide an interim safe shoulder walkway and bikeway along the north side of the street. The project will feature concrete separators and delineators in various locations along SW Multnomah Blvd on the outer edges of the infrastructure to protect vulnerable users from vehicles.
This project will:
- Restripe the existing bike lane
- Paint the bike lane green
- Add green bike striping on SW Multnomah Blvd, across SW 37th Ave
- Create a protected walkway
- Paint the walkway yellow
- Install various concrete separators along the outer edges of the infrastructure
Project Development: 2019
Design: July 2022- Current
Paused: July 2023- Dec 2023
Design: Jan- March 2023
Construction: late spring/early summer 2024
PBOT identified this segment as a sidewalk gap in PedPDX. This project will restripe the existing paved space to provide an interim safer shoulder walkway and bikeway with physical separation from the roadway, separate people bicycling and pedestrians where possible, and clarify legal turning movements to and from adjacent businesses and residences. This project is recommended in the Southwest in Motion plan and it is funded in part by Fixing Our Streets.
Sign up for email updates
$150,000 from Fixing Our Streets and $150,000 from Quick Build program. The Fixing Our Streets $0.10 per gallon fuel tax was approved by voters in May 2016 and again in May 2020.
To date, the following engagement has occurred:
- 2018 - 2019: Southwest in Motion Plan engagement, including Stakeholder Working Group, online feedback, community focus groups, advisory committee meetings, and an online and in-person open house event
- August 4: Distributed flyers to affected properties and discussed project with available stakeholders
- August 16: Multnomah Neighborhood Association Transportation Committee meeting
- August 20: Multnomah Days PBOT table
- September 15: Multnomah Neighborhood Association Transportation Committee follow-up meeting
- September 21: Southwest Neighbors, Inc. (SWNI) Transportation Committee meeting
- September 29: Multnomah Village Business Association meeting
- October 11: Multnomah Neighborhood Association Meeting
- Fall - Winter: Phone calls and emails with affected and interested stakeholders
- Winter - Spring: Phone calls and emails with affected and interested stakeholders
- May 31: Meeting with affected businesses and property owners regarding freight deliveries