Reporting should take 5-10 minutes to complete. Response times may vary.
Definition of an abandoned vehicle in Portland Code
Section 16.90.005 of the Portland City Code defines an abandoned vehicle as:
A vehicle that remains in violation for more than 24 hours and one or more of the following conditions exist:
- The vehicle does not have a lawfully affixed, unexpired registration plate, or fails to display current registration.
- The vehicle appears to be inoperative or disabled.
- The vehicle appears to be wrecked, partially dismantled, or junked.
Examples of abandoned or junk vehicles
The vehicle should meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Severely damaged by fire and appears inoperable
- Severely damaged from a crash and appears inoperable
- Missing the engine
- Missing or severely shattered windshield
- Missing parts or damaged in a manner that makes it appear inoperable
- One or more flat tires
- Up on blocks or jacks
- Boats, trailers, and occupied vehicles
- No license plate or trip permit
- Registration or trip permit expired more than six months (currently accepting vehicles that expired June 2021 or earlier)
What is not considered an abandoned or junk vehicle under our current operating conditions
- A vehicle with expired registration less than six months (current criteria due to delays at the DMV)
- An unfamiliar vehicle parked in front of your property and/or has not moved for several days
- A vehicle with no front license plate
- A vehicle double-parked, blocking a roadway, or blocking a driveway. Please report these violations to Parking Enforcement at 503-823-5195
Note: To report a suspicious vehicle parked in your neighborhood (for example, a vehicle you suspect to have been stolen), call the Police Non-Emergency Line at 503-823-3333.
How to report?
Please collect the following information for a report:
- Your name and phone number
- Which abandoned and junk automobile criteria does it meet
- Example - flat tire, missing engine, registration expired more than six months, etc.
- Please report the street address. Example: 420 SW Main Street. If you cannot provide an exact address, please provide the street the vehicle is parked on and then the cross streets. Example: SW 4th Avenue between SW Main St. and SW Madison St. Do not submit an intersection. Example: SW Main and SW 10th.
- Vehicle make
- Example - Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, etc.
- Vehicle style
- Example - Pickup truck, 2 door coupe, 4 door sedan, travel trailer, flatbed trailer, etc.
- Vehicle color
- License plate state and number (if any)
- License plate expiration (if any). Please submit year and month - stickers on the lower right and left of the license plate.
Reporting Options for an Abandoned or Junk Vehicle
Please choose one. Multiple reports will slow the process down.
- Report through the 24-hour website
- Report through the automated report hotline 24-hours per day.
- Speak by phone directly to an operator. This option is only available Monday through Friday, except recognized City holidays, between the hours of 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. If no one answers during the above hours, please leave a message with your contact information, the abandoned vehicle criteria, vehicle location/information and license plate number.