As we enter the winter season, it's time to get ready for potential winter weather. You can sign up for updates and tips, delivered right to your email inbox or text messages.
In addition to our winter weather information, PBOT provides updates on a variety of projects and programs as well as news releases, traffic advisories, and more.
Follow this link www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/subscribe to see a list of available topics and subscribe to the ones that interest you. We are constantly adding new programs and projects to our list.
What you need to know in the event of a winter storm:
In the event of winter weather, PBOT works to keep vital transit lines and emergency routes open in winter weather. These snow and ice routes are the most critical for our city’s police and fire stations, hospitals, schools, frequent bus routes, the downtown core, and major business districts -- about a third of our entire street grid.
PBOT’s mission is to provide at least one passable lane in each direction on these routes so that vehicles with front wheel drive or traction devices can get through. Depending on the severity of snow and ice, it can take up to three 12-hour shifts for our essential workers to sufficiently treat our routes with anti-icer. In a major snowfall, it can take our crews up to one 12-hour shift to plow our routes. Learn more about our winter weather response here.
- Get Home Safe: Winter Travel Tips How to plan ahead for winter weather, plus essential tips for taking transit, walking, biking, and driving in winter weather.
- Winter Weather Center Interactive map showing PBOT’s priority snow and ice routes, where we deploy salt, as well as real-time traffic, weather, road closure, and plow information.
- Road Closures Current PBOT winter weather road closures and chain advisories.
- Public Alerts Stay Informed. Sign up for emergency notifications via text, email, or phone from regional agencies including PBOT, the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), TriMet, and Multnomah County.
- Report Road Hazards Call PBOT Maintenance emergency dispatch 24/7 at 503-823-1700
- PBOT Notifications Choose the PBOT notifications you want to receive via email or text including news releases, traffic advisories, and winter weather information.
- PBOT on Social Media Visit PBOT on Facebook or follow @PBOTInfo on Twitter and Instagram for news, alerts, road closures, advisories and more during winter weather.
Chains: Your Link to Safety
Have you purchased chains yet for your vehicle?
Take the time to practice putting them on your car while the weather is nice! You'll be glad you did.
Adopt a Storm Drain
PBOT crews work hard to keep the drains clear. But with over 58,000 drains in the city, they can’t get to all of them.
That’s why we're asking Portlanders to adopt storm drains in their neighborhoods and help to keep them free and clear of leaves.