Microsoft CrowdStrike software outage

911 is operating as normal. Some City of Portland systems were impacted. Call 3-1-1 or 503-823-4000 to help answer questions, take non-emergency reports, or make connections with City staff.

Permit and Appeal Applications

Person with paperwork and hard hat on a desk.
Links to PBOT permit and appeal applications used in Development Review and other early assistance cases
On this page

Sidewalk and Frontage Improvements- What kind of permit do I need?

Sidewalks, driveways and other frontage improvements either need a Minor Improvement Permit or a Public Works Permit.  Please click the link above for a chart describing what projects can be permitted via a Minor Improvement Permit and what require a Public Works Permit.

Minor Improvement Permit 

As noted above, some forms of voluntary or required repairs to sidewalks, curbs, and driveways that are in the City of Portland’s public right-of-way can be permitted via a Minor Improvement Permit.  These are simpler situations where no engineering review is required.

Public Works Permitting

Projects in City of Portland's public right-of-way that cannot be permitted as a Minor Improvement Permit require a Public Works Permit.  

Encroachment Permits

A revocable encroachment permit allows the placement of privately owned structures or infrastructure within the public right-of-way. In addition to allowing placement of an encroachment, the permit also assigns responsibility for the encroachment (liability, maintenance, etc.) and sets conditions, such as joining Oregon One-Call or having liability insurance on file with the City, which may be required to allow the encroachment.

Driveway Design Exceptions

 If a project cannot meet the requirements but would still like to seek vehicular access, a Driveway Design Exception can grant an exception to the standards. Specific requirements can be found in City Code Title 17.28.110- Driveways- Permits and Conditions and Transportation Administrative Rule TRN 10.42- Access Requirements for Parking Structures.

Public Works Alternative Review Process

A Public Works Alternative Review allows a project to propose an alternative to non-technical design requirements set by the Public Works Bureaus (Water, Transportation, and Environmental Services) as a result of reviewing an application for building permit, a public works inquiry, a public registry review, an early assistance review, or a land use review.

Granting Easements to Satisfy Development Requirements (ie. Dedication)

As part of a development permit or land use application, the landowner may be required to grant an easement to the City for public right-of-way purposes. This is often referred to as a “dedication.”

The development permit may also require that the landowner grant other types of easements (such as a public walkway easement or sewer easement), though these are less common.

Traffic Impact Studies

A Traffic Impact Study (TIS) may be required to demonstrate the applicable land use review approval criteria are met.  A TIS may also be needed to address operational or safety issues.  Please note that many intersections in the City have limited capacity and may not be able to accommodate area growth plus the proposed land use without mitigation.  Under some circumstances, lack of adequate capacity (level-of-service) at an intersection can result in denial of a land use proposal.  Intersections of higher classified streets are most likely to have capacity constraints but other intersections may as well.  The applicant’s traffic engineer should investigate this issue well in advance of application for the land use review.   Please see TRN 10.27- Traffic Capacity Analysis for Land Use Review Cases.