Report non-urgent traffic safety concerns

Information from the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) on how to submit requests for review of non-urgent safety concerns related to pedestrians, people biking or taking transit, speeding drivers, speed limits, traffic safety around schools, visibility, signage, and signal timing.
Intersection on NE Alberta Street with crosswalks and people walking

Our online form should take approximately 5 minutes to complete. Please fill out a new form for each separate issue.

Before you submit

DO NOT use this page to report the following:

  • EMERGENCIES: Dial 9-1-1 for immediate fire, police, or medical response
  • URGENT MAINTENANCE: Call 503-823-1700 or email for 24-hour response to road hazards, potholes, sidewalk hazards, urgent maintenance, or repair of traffic signs or signals.
  • NUISANCES: Use the PDXReporter App or online tool to report common nuisances such as abandoned autos, graffiti, illegal parking, sidewalk cafe violations, sidewalk trip hazards, and overgrown vegetation (login required). Work zone concerns and streetlight outages may also be reported there.

DO use this page to report issues such as:

  • Safety concerns for pedestrians, people biking, or taking transit
  • Crosswalks, marked or unmarked, that appear unsafe
  • Traffic safety issues around schools
  • Lack of infrastructure such as sidewalks or crosswalks you feel could make streets safer
  • Suggestions for improvements to signal timing, visibility, signage, or sight lines
  • Concerns about speeding issues*.


  • Speed limits are being proactively reviewed citywide with a goal of 20-30 mph speeds on most city streets.
  • Your concern will be logged into our tracking system and reviewed for potential action. We are currently not able to further respond to speeding related concerns.
  • You may order yard signs that discourage speeding from PBOT’s Vision Zero Program.
  • Stop signs are not used to control speed, but requests for stop signs will be reviewed.

Submit a request

Non-urgent traffic safety report form


Dial 3-1-1 or 503-823-7233 (SAFE)

What to expect

Here is what you can typically expect moving forward:

  • URGENT ISSUES (1-3 business days). Urgent road hazards or signal outages will be prioritized and be addressed right away. You may not receive a response. See above for how to report emergencies.
  • ROUTINE REQUESTS OR PAST ISSUES (2 weeks-2 months). For requests that don’t require an engineering investigation, we will respond to routine requests for information or research historical requests to see if there are similar ones in our system.
  • NEW REQUESTS REQUIRING ENGINEERING STUDY (approximately 3-4 months). For non-routine, new traffic safety concerns or ones that haven’t been studied in the last two years, your concern will be investigated by an engineer. When the investigation is complete, an engineer will contact you and let you know next steps.

Note: Given our workload and priorities, these timelines can vary widely. Whether we can act on your request or not, your request gives us a fuller picture of traffic safety throughout the city and helps us prioritize our work in the future. THANK YOU.

Contact us with any questions

We receive thousands of reports each year and cannot respond to each one. If you've already contacted us and want to check on the status of your request, please contact us.

Dial 3-1-1 or 503-823-7233 (SAFE)


PBOT Non-Urgent Traffic Safety Concerns

phone number311Information and Customer Service
phone number503-823-7233PBOT receives thousands of reports each year and cannot respond to each one. If you've already filled out our online non-urgent traffic safety report form and want to check on the status of your request, call or email us.