Impacts to City Services

Find information about city services during this Emergency Declaration for Work Stoppage

Need Services? Want to Help? Resource Page

Resources and Reading (image of human head shaped bookshelf, with books filling the mind.)

This page was established on 3.16.22, and substantially updated on 12.29.22

Do you need shelter or services now?

For those in immediate need:

Referrals are made directly by specific outreach workers only. We cannot accept self-referral or third-party referral requests at this time.

Anyone interested in emergency shelter should call 211 or visit Shelter and Homeless Services for additional shelter information.

Also of help may be the Multnomah County Who to Call for What resources page.

Want to help, learn more, or report a concern?

Reading list for children:

We've heard from many of you asking how to discuss the issues of poverty and houselessness with children.  Here are a few links with books and other resources to navigate those conversations. 

  • Growing Book by Book's list of books for children about houselessness.
  • Imagination Soup's list of books for children about poverty and houselessness.

Reading list for everyone:

Addressing Camping and trash:

The City’s Impact Reduction Program (IRP) can address issues like tents and structures, including the 150’ buffer around the Armory property.  If you see those types of concerns – report it as soon as possible. IRP  can address on public property / ODOT. They do not have jurisdiction on private property, but can let private property owner know.

  • Can call 311, ask to file a campsite report
  • Email,
  • Fill out a report online (can drop a pin on the map to identify specific location). 30 seconds to create an account, then this is the best tool for reporting.

Addressing Mental Health Crises:

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, or are witnessing someone who is and want to help:

  • You can also call the Multnomah County Crisis line – (503) 988-4888, ask for Project Respond Project Respond, which operates 24/7.
  • You can call 911, and ask for Portland Street Response. (Not 24/7, yet.) They often can resolve without use of police / force. Portland Street Response wear t-shirts.

Addressing Other Issues:

This site will be updated as things evolve.  There is much more information on linked pages, but if you find that you have questions not addressed here, please reach out to our team at saferestvillages@portlandoregon…