Most City offices closed Wednesday, June 19, to observe Juneteenth

The City of Portland recognizes Juneteenth as a formal day of remembrance to honor Black American history and the end of slavery in the United States. Learn about Juneteenth.

Secondhand Dealer Permit Information

Information about secondhand dealer permits issued by the City of Portland's Revenue Division.
On this page

Overview of the Secondhand Dealer permits

Businesses that buy and sell used or new property that is frequently the subject of theft (“regulated property”) must have a secondhand dealer permit. Acquisitions of regulated property must be reported to the Portland Police Bureau, and the item must be held for a set period of time before it is made available for sale.

Secondhand dealer permits are nontransferable and are valid for a single business location. 

Registration Requirements

All businesses that need to obtain a secondhand dealer permit must:

1) Maintain a fixed physical Business Location and
2) register for a Revenue Division tax account.

Permitting Requirements

All businesses that need to obtain a secondhand dealer permit must apply for the permit from the Revenue Division.

Permits are valid for only one year and expire on the first anniversary of their issuance. Review Portland City Code to determine when to report any changes to the issued permit to the Revenue Division.

Secondhand Dealer Administrative Rules

LIC-10.01 - Definition of Regulated Property

LIC-10.02 - Permit Fees

LIC-10.03 - Reporting of Regulated Property Transactions

LIC-10.04 - Exceptions to Regulated Property Sale Limitations

LIC-10.07 - Definition of Acquire

LIC-10.10 - Definition of Dealer

Declaration of Proof of Ownership

When receiving regulated property, the Dealer must obtain acceptable identification from the seller. The Dealer must verify that the photograph is a photograph of the seller. The Dealer must record the seller's current residential address and thumbprint on the transaction report and have the seller complete the Declaration of Proof of Ownership. 

Motion for Return of Property

If your property has been seized by Portland Police and you would like it returned to you, use the Template to file Motion for Return of Property Under ORS 133.633 and submit the completed form to the Revenue Division.