- The classification of Water Security Specialist was created by Ordinance No. 177033 on November 6, 2002 and that subsequently, employees were hired into positions having said classification. Said employees obtained represented status within the bargaining unit represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU).
- Subsequent to receiving a demand to bargain dated September 25, 2004 from the DCTU, representatives of the City met on multiple occasions with DCTU representatives for the purpose of negotiating the terms and conditions of the represented employees occupying positions in the new classification of Water Security Specialist.
- On July 1, 2004 representatives of the City and the DCTU initialed a Tentative Agreement that outlines the terms and conditions of employment for Water Security Specialists for the period effective the bilateral ratification of same through June 30, 2006.
- The agreement meets the City’s bargaining interests by satisfying the City’s obligations under the Public Employee Collective Bargaining Act (PECBA).
- The agreement continues to apply the principles of total compensation as the basis for bargaining all monetary subjects and ties total compensation to the Consumer Price Index. General wage increases will continue to be tied to the Portland CPI-W. Health care contributions will be based on the Medical Care component of the Portland CPI-W.
- In addition the general wage increases, special provisions are provided for employees in the classifications of Water Security Specialist.
- The terms and conditions shall be reduced to a memorandum of agreement which the Mayor and Auditor should be authorized to execute.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
a. The Mayor and Auditor are authorized to execute a memorandum of agreement between the City and the DCTU relating to terms and conditions of employment of certain represented employees in the DCTU bargaining unit having the classification of Water Security Specialist.
b. Said contract to conform to the provisions in the Tentative Agreement attached to this Ordinance marked Exhibit "A"which by this reference is made a part hereof.
c. This ordinance is a binding City policy.
Ordinance No. 178650 passed by Council and effective August 4, 2004.