It is in the interest of the City to place an impacted employee (one who is subject to layoff due to bureau reorganization and/or budgetary reductions) into vacant positions if possible. While this rule does not guarantee placement of an employee it is the City’s intent to redeploy employees in lieu of layoff whenever possible. This rule is designed:
- To assist in the placement of an impacted employee affected by budget reductions and reorganizations and
- For placement of an impacted employee in any classification where the employee possesses the required skills.
Non-represented employees whose employment is impacted due to fiscal emergency, reorganizations, and/or decreases in City revenues are eligible for redeployment. Impacted employees include Employees whose positions are cut and are subject to layoff,
Bureau of Human Resources Responsibility
The Bureau of Human Resources is responsible for all program coordination, including:
- Provide impacted employees information on the Redeployment Program;
- Provide impacted employees with information on appropriate vacancies;
- Provide names and qualifications of impacted employees to the hiring manager for consideration when filling vacancies;
- Allow impacted employees to participate in limited recruitments while they are in the redeployment program;
- Inform impacted employees that if they obtain a permanent position through redeployment their name will not be placed on the layoff list for recall to their former position.
The Director of Human Resources shall have discretion to:
- Place a hiring freeze on the impacted classification until impacted employees have been considered;
- Grant exceptions to an existing hiring process, to bureaus for internal hiring of impacted employees;
- Waive the competitive process for participation in a training plan.
Hiring Bureau Responsibility
Bureaus are expected to be full participants in the redeployment process and are required to interview all qualified impacted employees and give them priority consideration when filling vacancies. Bureaus retain their discretion to extend a job offer to the most qualified candidate, even if that person is not in the redeployment program.
Adopted by Council March 6, 2002, Ordinance No. 176302
Effective April 5, 2002
Revised: October 15, 2002
Revised July 28, 2003
Revised September 16, 2005
Revised July 9, 2007
Revised February 15, 2018