REGULATORY IMPROVEMENT WORKPLAN PROGRESS REPORT
Binding City Policy
WHEREAS, on June 26, 2002, the City Council approved Resolution 36080, authorizing the Office of the Mayor to develop a process for streamlining and updating the City’s regulations for building and land development, and improving the procedures and customer services for these regulations; and,
WHEREAS, on August 14, 2002, the City Council approved Resolution 36092, as amended, implementing portions of the Initial Regulatory Improvement Workplan, which included an approach to regulatory improvement as a citywide, ongoing and integrated effort; and
WHEREAS, Resolution 36092, as amended, directed City bureaus to present for City Council consideration each fiscal year a Regulatory Improvement Workplan to improve City regulations, regulatory procedures and related customer services; and
WHEREAS, on August 13, 2003, the City Council approved Resolution 36162 and directed the bureaus of Development Services and Planning to involve the Portland Planning Commission and the Development Review Advisory Committee in reporting on progress on the FY 2003/04 Regulatory Improvement Workplan; and
WHEREAS, Resolution 36162 also directed the bureaus of Development Services and Planning to continue conducting public outreach and to involve the Portland Planning Commission and the Development Review Advisory Committee in developing future annual Regulatory Improvement Workplans; and
WHEREAS, the bureaus of Development Services and Planning, in consultation with other city bureaus involved in implementing the Regulatory Improvement Workplan, have provided a progress update on the implementation of the FY 2003/4 Regulatory Improvement Workplan as described in Part I of Exhibit A; and
WHEREAS, the bureaus of Development Services and Planning have consulted with individual and stakeholder groups about the process used to develop the prior annual Regulatory Improvement Workplan and are recommending, in Part II of Exhibit A, changes to the process that will: 1) make the process for discovering and selecting Regulatory Improvement amendments to Title 33 a routine and transparent part of the ongoing work program; 2) make the legislative planning projects associated with Regulatory Improvement more efficient for City bureau staff, the public and the decision makers; and 3) provide an ongoing and user friendly method for submitting Regulatory Improvement code and process improvement requests.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that:
A. The City Council hereby accepts the Regulatory Improvement Workplan progress update as described in Part I of Exhibit A.
B. The City Council hereby approves the Regulatory Improvement Workplan process changes as described in Part II of Exhibit A.
C. The City Council directs the Bureau of Development Services and the Bureau of Planning to work together to jointly implement the changes described in Part II of Exhibit A to:
- Establish the Regulatory Improvement Request (RIR) database with online access to accept all types of requests 24 hours a day/7 days a week;
- Establish a Regulatory Improvement Stakeholder Advisory Team (RISAT) that will include participation by affected interests and will advise staff from the bureaus of Development Services and Planning in prioritizing Title 33 amendment requests and in development of the amendments;
- Merge the Regulatory Improvement Workplan legislative planning activites, known as Code Maintenance and Policy Packages, into Regulatory Improvement Code Amendment Packages (RICAP);
- Simplify the process for selecting items to include in RICAP projects and for reporting Regulatory Improvement Workplan progress to the City Council;
- Provide ongoing, overlapping consideration of the current RICAP and the future list of items by the Planning Commission; and
- Involve the Development Review Advisory Committee in developing and reporting on implementation progress of the Regulatory Improvement Workplan.
D. This resolution constitutes binding City policy and shall be filed as such in the Portland Policy Documents Repository.
The complete text of the Regulatory Improvement Workplan Progress Update (1,145 kb) is available as a PDF document.
Resolution No. 36264 adopted by Council October 13, 2004.