*Homebuyers: If you are a homebuyer looking for properties to purchase that have received this exemption, please view Eligible Properties.
How to Apply
To apply for the SDC Exemption Program, developers must submit an application and supporting documentation to the Portland Housing Bureau (PHB). Developers must apply for the program after they submit their building permit application to the Bureau of Development Services (BDS), Permit Center, but before they pay for their building permits and pull the permit to start construction.
For buildings subject to, or opting into Inclusionary Housing, a PHB Housing Program Specialist will be assigned to review the permit application and will request the application during that process.
List of required documents to be considered for the program:
- A fully completed SDC Exemption Application for each permit. If each unit is under a separate permit, then a separate application is required for each permit number.
Select the project type to view application form
Home Ownership Rentals
For buildings subject to, or opting into Inclusionary Housing, there is a shortened IH SDC Exemption Application.
- Required exhibits:
- Articles of Incorporation, Articles of Organization, By-Laws, and/or Statements of Action;
- Corporate Resolution (as applicable, grants signature authority on behalf of an entity);
- Proof of site control (such as Warranty Deed);
- Tax/Plat map indicating lots to be developed and proof of lot segregation as necessary;
- Legal Description;
- Schematic drawings or like photos of new units to be built (plan set submitted to BDS with permit application will be used for Co-Commercial type building permits); and
- Seller or listing agent contact information (Home Ownership units only)
- Application Fee: The application fee is dependent on whether the exempted unit(s) will be sold to homebuyers or rented. For each application a check paid to the order of the Portland Housing Bureau is due as follows:
- Home Ownership SDC Exemption Applications are reviewed within five business days by a program administrator who will notify the project contact of any necessary additional information. More details
- Rental SDC Exemption Applications are reviewed during the building permit review process and are subject to plan review procedures set by BDS. Please allow for more time for processing a rental exemption application. More details
Once approved for the program, PHB will:
- Contact the applicant to coordinate signing the Regulatory Agreement (view samples for Homeownership and Rental) which is recorded with Multnomah County
- Issue an SDC Exemption Approval Letter and upload it in to AMANDA (the City’s permitting database)
The applicant must contact the four SDC Bureaus to request the exemptions be credited to their permit in lieu of paying the SDCs.
Please note: The SDC Bureaus will not refund paid System Development Charges.