COVID-19 Freeze for Multnomah County

The four-week (minimum) freeze is in effect through December 16th.

Mandatory Renter Relocation Assistance

Renters in Portland who are served a no-cause eviction or encounter any of the triggering events may have the right to be paid relocation assistance from their landlord. Landlords must notify RSO of the payment. For eligible exemptions, see the Administrative Rules.

On this page

Download brochure    How to verify a property    Administrative Rules

When is a renter eligible for Relocation Assistance?

  • Renter must live within Portland city limits
  • Renter does not live with their landlord
  • Tenancy is not week-to-week

Note: Does not apply to for-cause terminations

Events that trigger Relocation Assistance

In response to COVID-19, there are eviction moratoriums that may prohibit a landlord from issuing terminations without a tenant-based cause.

See more information about COVID-19 landlord-tenant policy responses here.

Triggering events are, specifically, any of the following:

Note: Accepting Relocation Assistance requires Tenant to move out or return the funds.

Written notice

Tenants must receive a written notice for any rent increase or termination of the rental agreement at least 90 days before the effective date. The notice must include: 

  • A description of their rights and obligations, and
  • The amount of Relocation Assistance they are eligible to receive

All Landlord and Tenant notifications should be provided in writing, which means a letter that is either given to the Landlord or Tenant in person, or sent by first-class mail—not by email, text, or certified or registered mail.

Assistance amounts by rental size

  • Studio or Single Room Occupancy (SRO)       $2,900 
  • 1-Bedroom                                                          $3,300 
  • 2-Bedroom                                                          $4,200 
  • 3-Bedroom or larger                                         $4,500

Residential rental units within Portland city limits

Portland Maps

Relocation Assistance applies to residential rental units within Portland city limits, which can be managed by an owner, a sublessor, or property management company. The units can have either month-to-month rental agreements or fixed-term tenancies, such as 6-month or 1-year leases. Also read about eligible exemptions in the section below.

To verify if your property is within Portland city limits, go to PortlandMaps.com. For instructions, view this guide on how to verify a property.

Notifying of a payment

Landlords are required to notify PHB of all Relocation Assistance payments within 30 days of making a payment.

Submit a notice of relocation payment

Landlord Exemptions

Under very specific situations identified in Portland City Code 30.01.085, a Landlord may be eligible to apply for an exemption from paying Relocation Assistance. Before applying, carefully review the Administrative Rules which covers exemption eligibility, the approval process, and specific definitions. 

The order of events is crucial. Some exemptions require that the Landlord must provide a copy of the Acknowledgement Letter to the Tenant prior to the Tenant entering into a Rental Agreement.

Example timeline:

  1. If eligible, review the Administrative Rules and then apply for exemption online or by mail
  2. Wait to receive the Acknowledgement Letter from PHB
  3. After it is received, provide a copy of the Acknowledgement Letter to the Tenant before entering into a rental agreement
  4. Provide another copy of the Acknowledgement Letter with the written notice to the Tenant of a triggering event (90 days before effective date)

Relocation Assistance Exemptions follow a strict criteria

Only the situations listed in the Administrative Rules may be eligible. Most exemptions require a Landlord to file with PHB and receive an Acknowledgement Letter from this office (in most cases, before entering into a rental agreement). 

Exemptions 1, 2, 8, 9, and 10, marked with an asterisk (*), do not require filing a form but may have additional stipulations that Landlords must know.

  1. Week-to-week tenancies*
  2. Tenants that occupy same Dwelling Unit as their Landlord*
  3. Tenants that occupy the same Duplex as their Landlord
  4. Dwelling Unit on a property with an ADU or the ADU itself, where the Landlord and Tenant both live on-site
  5. Landlord that temporarily rents out their Principal Residence for no more than 3 years
  6. Landlord that temporarily rents out their Principal Residence due to active duty military service
  7. Dwelling Unit where the Landlord is terminating the Rental Agreement in order for an immediate family member to occupy the Dwelling Unit
  8. Dwelling Unit regulated or certified as affordable housing by federal, state or local government is exempt from paying relocation assistance for a rent increase of 10 percent or more within a rolling 12-month period if it is a result of a change in program eligibility and requirements, or otherwise does not increase the Tenant’s portion of the rent payment by 10 percent or more*
  9. Dwelling Unit that is acquired for public use through eminent domain law and subject to the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Act of 1970*
  10. Dwelling Unit rendered immediately uninhabitable not due to the action or inaction of a Landlord or Tenant*
  11. Dwelling Unit rented for less than 6 months with appropriate verification of the submission of a demolition permit prior to the Tenant renting the Dwelling Unit
  12. Dwelling Unit where the Landlord has provided a fixed term tenancy and notified the Tenant in writing—prior to occupancy—of the Landlord’s intent to sell or permanently convert the Dwelling Unit to a use other than as a rental unit

Note: City obligations and exemptions are separate and in addition to state obligations.

Apply for relocation assistance exemption

Failure to Comply

A Landlord that fails to comply with any of the requirements set forth in Section 30.01.085 shall be liable to the Tenant for an amount up to 3 times the monthly rent as well as actual damages, Relocation Assistance, reasonable attorney fees and costs.

Ordinance, Code, and Administrative Rules

PCC 30.01.085 Portland Renter Additional Protections

Documentation Guidance

Examples of documentation needed when filing for an exemption

Archived documents and past public comment notices


Rental Services Helpdesk

phone number503-823-1303

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9 - 11 a.m. and 1 - 4 p.m. Please use phone, email, fax, or post mail for all customer service needs.

Oregon Relay Service711 Oregon Relay Service
fax number503-865-3260