COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: Extreme Risk

Wedding Reservation and Lottery

On this Page

COVID-19 related information

Permitted picnics and weddings with 50 or fewer people total - in separate groups of no more than 10 people - approved for Multnomah County Phase I. These conditions are subject to change based on guidance from health authorities and elected officials.

General Information

Portland Parks & Recreation is the proud steward of more than 200 parks, gardens, and natural settings that can be reserved for weddings and/or receptions. These lovely settings are the perfect locations for ceremonies and celebrations. A few things to know:

  • City code requires that a permit be obtained for any legal union ceremony in a public park where guests are invited. This includes ceremonies consisting of more than the couple, officiant, and two witnesses. Permits are issued by the Portland Parks & Recreation Customer Service Center. 
  • If your wedding ceremony will not take place in a Portland park and you only need a permit for the wedding reception, your event will fall into the category of a picnic - please see Simple Picnic and Special Use Picnic.
  • Weddings are not permitted at the Japanese Garden, Pittock Mansion and surrounding acres, or Portland International Raceway.
  • Only wedding ceremonies can be booked in the wedding gardens; receptions are not allowed in the gardens.
  • Check the wedding brochure for locations, fees, policies, insurance, and reservation information.
  • Weddings may be booked at picnic sites.
  • Park area maps are located on our website and online reservation system.
  • Wedding permit requests must be made at least 45 days in advance to avoid rush fees.

Reserve a Wedding for 2021

Portland Parks & Recreation held a wedding lottery for weddings taking place March-December 2021. 

After the wedding lottery, PP&R will begin taking general wedding reservations for the 2021 season on Monday, January 4, 2021. These reservations will be limited in availability to locations not already reserved by lottery couples. 

Starting January 4, make your reservation request one of three ways:

By phone - Call the Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525, option 1. Phone-in hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.

By Fax - Send the Parks Wedding Worksheet Application to 503-823-2515.

By mail - The Parks Wedding Worksheet Application and payment may be mailed to Portland Parks & Recreation Customer Service 1120 SW 5th Avenue, First Floor, Portland, Oregon 97204. Please make checks payable to the City of Portland. 

Please note that our office is currently closed to the public and in-person reservations are not possible at this time. Emergency closure information.

Insurance Requirements

Insurance may be required for your permit and may be purchased from a variety of sources:

  • The City has arranged to make liability and property coverage available for those using city facilities or venues through Tenant Users Liability Policy (TULIP). This insurance is designed specifically for users of city facilities and venues so it meets our agreement requirements, and is often more cost-effective than options listed below. Coverage is provided for the majority of events, however large scale events, or events with dangerous or risky activities may be excluded.
  • Many homeowners’ policies offer coverage for an event, or a special rider can be purchased.
  • Many insurance agencies can put together what is called a special events policy.

Issued Permits and More

Upon approval and payment of all applicable fees, you will receive a link to your permit via email. Please print out this permit and take it with you to your event. A permit confirms your reservation and must be on-site during the event to be valid.

You can request the following items to be sent to you through the mail:

  • Issued Permit and Site Map An official permit must be on-site during your event to be valid - please have a printed copy or a digital copy (on your smartphone or tablet) available for viewing.
  • Reservation Signage We provide signs by request only. It is your responsibility to display signs on the day of your event to notify park users that the area is reserved. We do not allow signs to be attached to trees or placed on stakes in the ground (sandwich boards are recommended). A member of your group may wish to monitor the site prior to the beginning of your event.
  • Vehicle Access Pass If requested and approved, a vehicle access pass will be mailed to you, or you may pick up the pass from our office.

ADA Accessibility

Look for the ADA symbol in the tables on pages 4-7 of the Wedding Brochure. For more detailed information on accessible amenities, parking, and access points, please call the Customer Service Center.