COVID-19 Related Information
Permitting conditions are subject to change based on guidance from health authorities and elected officials. Please visit portland.gov/novel-coronavirus-covid-19 for more information.
Portland Parks & Recreation is the proud steward of more than 200 parks, gardens, and natural settings that can be reserved for weddings and/or receptions. These lovely settings are the perfect locations for ceremonies and celebrations. A few things to know:
- City code requires that a permit be obtained for any legal union ceremony in a public park where guests are invited. This includes ceremonies consisting of more than the couple, officiant, and two witnesses. Permits are issued by the Portland Parks & Recreation Customer Service Center.
- If your wedding ceremony will not take place in a Portland park and you only need a permit for the wedding reception, your event will fall into the category of a picnic - please see Picnic Reservation.
- Weddings are not permitted at the Japanese Garden, Pittock Mansion and surrounding acres, or Portland International Raceway.
- Only wedding ceremonies can be booked in the wedding gardens; receptions are not allowed in the gardens.
- Check the wedding brochure for locations, fees, policies, insurance, and reservation information.
- Weddings may be booked at picnic sites.
- Park area maps are located on our website and online reservation system.
- Wedding permit requests must be made at least 45 days in advance to avoid rush fees.
Reserve a Wedding for 2021
Portland Parks & Recreation held a wedding lottery for weddings taking place March through December 2021.
After the wedding lottery, PP&R will begin taking general wedding reservations for the 2021 season on Monday, January 4, 2021. These reservations will be limited in availability to locations not already reserved by lottery couples.
Starting January 4, make your reservation request one of three ways:
- By phone - Call the Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525, option 1. Phone-in hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM.
- By Fax - Send the Parks Wedding Worksheet Application to 503-823-2515.
- By mail - The Parks Wedding Worksheet Application and payment may be mailed to Portland Parks & Recreation Customer Service 1120 SW 5th Avenue, First Floor, Portland, Oregon 97204. Please make checks payable to the City of Portland.
Please note that our office is currently closed to the public and in-person reservations are not possible at this time. Emergency closure information.
Hoyt Arboretum Facility Changes in 2021
Hoyt Arboretum now has a new facility available to reserve - the Stone Circle! This is a Simple Ceremony location - see the wedding brochure for the definition of a Simple Ceremony.
Stone Circle site description
Limit 40 people, 6 chairs. The Stone Circle is accessible via a short walk on the paved Bristlecone Pine Trail. With a backdrop of towering conifers, this location offers a quiet forested setting for small ceremonies amid Hoyt Arboretum's global tree collection. Available to reserve for a fixed 2-hour time block: 10:00am-12:00pm, 2:00pm-4:00pm, or 6:00pm-8:00pm. This is a quiet park. No electricity, water, or restrooms. Limited parking (including ADA) is available at the Bristlecone Pine trailhead parking lot on SW Fischer Lane, located approximately 1/4 mile from the stone circle. Most guests should plan to park at the visitor center or on Fairview Blvd less than 1/2 mile to the stone circle.
There are also changes to some existing facilities at the Hoyt Arboretum. The Redwood Deck and the Wedding Meadow are now available to reserve in half day rentals - 8:00am-2:00pm or 3:00pm-9:00pm. The half-day rate of the Redwood Deck is $300 and the half-day rate of the Wedding Meadow is $285. Couples can reserve both locations for a half day for a discounted rate of $485. Please contact our office directly if you would like to reserve these locations for a full day.
Insurance may be required for your permit and may be purchased from a variety of sources:
- The City has arranged to make liability and property coverage available for those using city facilities or venues through Tenant Users Liability Policy (TULIP). This insurance is designed specifically for users of city facilities and venues so it meets our agreement requirements, and is often more cost-effective than options listed below. Coverage is provided for the majority of events, however large scale events, or events with dangerous or risky activities may be excluded.
- Many homeowners’ policies offer coverage for an event, or a special rider can be purchased.
- Many insurance agencies can put together what is called a special events policy.
Upon approval and payment of all applicable fees, you will receive a link to your issued picnic permit via email. A permit confirms your reservation and must be on-site during the event to be valid. Please print out the permit and take it with you to your event, or have a digital copy available for viewing. You can access your permit online any time by logging in to your online account.
You can request the following items to be sent to you through the mail:
- Issued Permit and Site Map We can mail you a copy of your issued permit and site map so you can have it on-site during your event. Please remember a permit is required to be on-site during the event to be valid.
- Reservation Signage We provide signs by request only. It is your responsibility to display signs on the day of your event to notify park users that the area is reserved. We do not allow signs to be attached to trees or placed on stakes in the ground (sandwich boards are recommended). A member of your group may wish to monitor the site prior to the beginning of your event.
- Vehicle Access Pass If requested and approved for your Special Use Picnic, a vehicle access pass will be mailed to you, or you may pick up the pass from our office. See page 6 of the picnic brochure for more information on vehicles.
- Please note that our office is currently closed to the public and staff will mail the vehicle pass to your address on file in advance of your event. If you would like the key mailed to a different address, please contact our office at least 2 weeks prior to your event. Emergency closure information.
If a key is required for access or amenities as indicated in the Picnic Brochure, it may be picked up from our office Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. The key may be picked up no more than two (2) business days prior to your event and requires a $100 refundable key deposit payable by cash, check or Visa/MasterCard/Amex/Discover card. For a full refund of the key deposit, the key must be returned no more than two (2) business days after the event.
- Please note that our office is currently closed to the public and staff will mail the key to your address on file in advance of your event. If you would like the key mailed to a different address, please contact our office at least 2 weeks prior to your event. You must mail the key back to our office after your event to receive a full refund of the key deposit. Emergency closure information.
- Smoking is not allowed on Portland Parks & Recreation property per Title 20.12.110.
You are required to remove all garbage generated by your activities from the park. We recommend you bring trash bags and/or cans.
If you need to cancel or make any changes to your issued permit, please contact our office as soon as possible. See page 3 of the Wedding Brochure for refund guidelines.
Look for the ADA symbol in the tables on pages 4-7 of the Wedding Brochure. For more detailed information on accessible amenities, parking, and access points, please call the Customer Service Center.