Portland Parks & Recreation is the proud steward of more than 200 parks, gardens, and natural settings that can be reserved for weddings and/or receptions. These lovely settings are the perfect locations for ceremonies and celebrations. A few things to know:
- City code requires that a permit be obtained for any legal union ceremony in a public park where guests are invited. This includes ceremonies consisting of more than the couple, officiant, and two witnesses. Permits are issued by the Portland Parks & Recreation Customer Service Center.
- If your wedding ceremony will not take place in a Portland park and you only need a permit for the wedding reception, your event will fall into the category of a picnic - please see Picnic Reservation.
- Weddings are not permitted at the Japanese Garden, Pittock Mansion and surrounding acres, or Portland International Raceway.
- Only wedding ceremonies can be booked in the wedding gardens; receptions are not allowed in the gardens.
- Check the wedding brochure for locations, fees, policies, insurance, and reservation information.
- Weddings may be booked at picnic sites.
- Park area maps are located on our website and online reservation system.
- Wedding permit requests must be made at least 45 days in advance to avoid rush fees.
How to Make Your 2022 Wedding Reservation
Portland Parks & Recreation will begin taking general wedding reservations for the 2022 season on Tuesday, January 4. These reservations will be limited in availability to locations not already reserved by lottery couples.
If your wedding will take place January or February 2022, please contact the Customer Service Center directly at 503-823-2525 at this time.
Make your reservation request one of four ways:
To access the online reservation system, click here.
Call the Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525, and select option 1.
Phone hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00pm (closed from 12:00pm-1:00pm)
Send the Portland Parks & Recreation Wedding Worksheet Application to 503-823-2515.
The Portland Parks & Recreation Wedding Worksheet Application and payment may be mailed to Portland Parks & Recreation Customer Service Center at 1120 SW 5th Avenue, Suite 858, Portland, Oregon 97204. Please make checks payable to the City of Portland.
Please note that our office is currently closed to the public and in-person reservations are not possible at this time.
Emergency closure information.
Cathedral Park Staircase and Deck
Please note the Cathedral Park Staircase and Deck will be unavailable for permit reservations beginning October 1, 2022 due to St. Johns Bridge repair work. If you will be having a simple wedding ceremony consisting of no more than the couple, officiant, and two witnesses and would like to use the location on a first-come, first-served basis, you may do so as bridge repair work allows. The Cathedral Park Amphitheater is available for reservations as usual.
New Hoyt Arboretum Wedding Facility - Stone Circle
Starting in 2021, Hoyt Arboretum has a new facility available to reserve - the Stone Circle. This is a Simple Ceremony location. Please see the wedding brochure for the definition of a Simple Ceremony.
Stone Circle Site Description
Limit 40 people, 6 chairs. The Stone Circle is accessible via a short walk on the paved Bristlecone Pine Trail. With a backdrop of towering conifers, this location offers a quiet forested setting for small ceremonies amid Hoyt Arboretum's global tree collection. Available to reserve for a fixed 2-hour time block: 10:00am-12:00pm, 2:00pm-4:00pm, or 6:00pm-8:00pm. This is a quiet park. No electricity, water, or restrooms. Limited parking (including ADA) is available at the Bristlecone Pine trailhead parking lot on SW Fischer Lane, located approximately 1/4 mile from the stone circle. Most guests should plan to park at the visitor center or on Fairview Blvd less than 1/2 mile to the stone circle.
There are also changes to some existing facilities at the Hoyt Arboretum. The Redwood Deck and the Wedding Meadow are now available to reserve in half-day rentals - 8:00 am - 2:00 pm or 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm. The half-day rate of the Redwood Deck is $300 and the half-day rate of the Wedding Meadow is $285. Couples can reserve both locations for a half-day for a discounted rate of $485. Please contact our office directly if you would like to reserve these locations for a full day.
Insurance may be required for your permit and may be purchased from a variety of sources:
- The City has arranged to make liability and property coverage available for those using city facilities or venues through Tenant Users Liability Policy (TULIP). This insurance is designed specifically for users of city facilities and venues so it meets our agreement requirements, and is often more cost-effective than the options listed below. Coverage is provided for the majority of events, however large-scale events, or events with dangerous or risky activities may be excluded.
- Many homeowners’ policies offer coverage for an event, or a special rider can be purchased.
- Many insurance agencies can put together what is called a special events policy.
Upon approval and payment of all applicable fees, you will receive a link to your issued picnic permit via email. A permit confirms your reservation and must be on-site during the event to be valid. Please print out the permit and take it with you to your event, or have a digital copy available for viewing. You can access your permit online anytime by logging in to your online account.
You can request the following items to be sent to you through the mail:
- Issued Permit and Site Map We can mail you a copy of your issued permit and site map so you can have it on-site during your event. Please remember a permit is required to be on-site during the event to be valid.
- Reservation Signage We provide signs by request only. It is your responsibility to display signs on the day of your event to notify park users that the area is reserved. We do not allow signs to be attached to trees or placed on stakes in the ground (sandwich boards are recommended). A member of your group may wish to monitor the site prior to the beginning of your event.
- Vehicle Access Pass If requested and approved for your Special Use Picnic, a vehicle access pass will be mailed to you. See the picnic brochure for more information on vehicles.
If a key is required for access or amenities as indicated in the Wedding Brochure, it may be picked up from our office Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. The key may be picked up no more than two (2) business days prior to your event and requires a $100 refundable key deposit payable by cash, check, or Visa/MasterCard/Amex/Discover card. For a full refund of the key deposit, the key must be returned no more than two (2) business days after the event.
Please note that our office is currently closed to the public and staff will mail the key to your address on file in advance of your event. If you would like the key mailed to a different address, please contact our office at least 2 weeks prior to your event. You must mail the key back to our office after your event to receive a full refund of the key deposit. Emergency closure information.
- Smoking is not allowed on Portland Parks & Recreation property per Title 20.12.110.
You are required to remove all garbage generated by your activities from the park. We recommend you bring trash bags and/or cans.
If you need to cancel or make any changes to your issued permit, please contact our office as soon as possible. See page 3 of the Wedding Brochure for refund guidelines.
Look for the ADA symbol in the tables on pages 4-7 of the Wedding Brochure. For more detailed information on accessible amenities, parking, and access points, please call the Customer Service Center.