Team registration is now full and closed for the season. Portland Parks & Recreation’s sports department is excited to announce the return of a modified Goldenball program. This season we will be focusing on the 3rd – 5th grade boys and girls youth basketball program, with hopes of bringing back the entire program next season.
Goldenball Youth Basketball League Mission
The purpose of Portland Parks & Recreation’s (PP&R) Goldenball youth basketball program is to encourage our youth, regardless of ability, to learn the fundamentals of the game. Develop a sense of fair play and good sportsmanship. Experience the satisfaction of team play and individual cooperation. To have fun and enjoy playing the game of Basketball. Goldenball is a recreation program based on good sportsmanship and the development of basketball fundamentals.Not on winning championships!
COVID-19 safety information
The City of Portland is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our employees and community. As part of this commitment, all City employees and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. As you know, our Goldenball league practices and plays games within Portland Public School gymnasiums. Portland Public Schools is requiring for all rentals, that coaches and spectators be vaccinated. Face masks will be required by everyone, except players and officials actively participating on the court. Only one spectator per player will be allowed during league games. No spectators are allowed at practices. Programming has been designed to meet public health guidance and to be flexible as conditions change.
How to Register
Team registration is now full.
To register your team, all forms must be filled out and proof of COVID-19 vaccination checked:
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required to obtain a practice permit. Vaccine Attestation Form.
Once your team is registered, you will receive your coach packet with the team roster, practice facility list, league rules, medical release forms, player and spectator pledge cards, player contracts, and jersey information.
Payment - Entire fee is due at the time of registration. For additional support please contact the Sports Office.
- Credit cards accepted over the phone: 503-823-5124 or 503-823-5126.
- Make checks payable to the City of Portland and send with all required forms to:
Portland Parks & Recreation Sports
10850 N Denver Avenue
Portland, OR 97217
Volunteer coaching is a big task, and our program could not run smoothly without your efforts. Here are some tips for keeping your team organized. For more detailed information see the attached guidelines and league rules.
- Have a parent meeting prior to the start of the season. Assign designated parents to help keep score during games as well as be the home book when scheduled as the home team/visiting team.
- We are asking ALL coaches when meeting with your parents to make sure they are aware that spectators over 16 need to be COVID vaccinated prior to entering the school gym. We are limiting the number of spectators to one per player during league games. Spectators are not allowed at practice.
- When you obtain your score sheets from either the coaches’ packet or online, fill it out with your players’ names and make 8-10 copies, so that you have them filled out prior to the start of each game.
- Team roster, which is included in your coaches’ packet, must be filled out and submitted by email to the Sports Office prior to the start of the first game.
NOTE: If you plan on coaching more than one team, you are required to have an assistant coach for each team. The assistant coach must attend one of the coaches’ meetings. We will continue to try and work with scheduling issues, however, with the rising number of teams, it has become more difficult to accommodate requests. Coaching three or more teams is not permitted.
REQUIRED Pre-Season Coaches’ Meetings
Coaches and assistant coaches must attend one of the scheduled meetings pre-season meetings. These meetings provide coaches with league policies and procedures, plus training from the Positive Coaching Alliance. Attendance will be taken. Dates and times to be announced.
OPTIONAL Coaches’ Training Clinics – Highly Recommended!
- Basketball Basics: a fun, fast-paced participation clinic with an emphasis on basketball fundamentals. Dribbling, passing, shooting, and defense. Bring a basketball and dress to participate.
Thursday, December 2, 2021 • 6:00-8:00pm
Harvey Scott School gym | 6700 NE Prescott - Enter through the main doors on Prescott.
League Play and Practice
Seven games played on Saturdays, January 15-February 26, 2022. The league is divided into two halves, the first 3 weeks, followed by a realignment if necessary, and no break between halves. Games are played at various Portland Public Schools. Sites may vary from the first half to the second half.
The first half schedules will be posted after January 4, 2022.
Jerseys: Our program does not supply jerseys as part of your team fee. We do require a minimum of matching t-shirts with 6” numbers on the back. If looking to purchase jerseys, we provide a flyer in the coach’s packet of a local company to go through. Please have your players obtain shorts without pockets to comply with the National Federation Rule and for the safety of all players.
Pre-Season | Thad's Jitters Jamboree
- Saturday, January 8, 2022 (December 11 jamboree is now full)
- Open to registered Goldenball teams grades 3-5
- Entry fee: $65/jamboree date
- Three-game guarantee. Games are 20 minutes long. Gyms are used throughout the city, but each team will be scheduled to one site. One spectator per player is allowed at all games. The jamboree is also used to give our new referees on-court experience, so they will be received training throughout the games. Schedules will be posted Wednesday prior to the games, December 8 and January 5.
- Deadline to register: Friday, December 3, 2021, at noon. Space is limited per age division. December 11 jamboree is full.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to obtaining a practice permit. Any Coach helping with practice must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to participating at practice.
- Once your team is registered, you may inquire for a practice permit by contacting the PP&R Sports Office: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- We guarantee one 55-minute practice time slot per week, per registered team.
- We have limited sites at Portland Public Schools. A gym list will be included in your coach’s packet.
- Practice times are available Monday-Friday: 6:00-6:55pm, 7:00-7:55pm, and 8:00-8:55pm. Any time prior to 6:00pm, you must inquire with the school directly or the PIL CUB office. Practice permits at most locations will begin on November 1, 2021. Contact the sports office at 503-823-5124 or 503-5126 to book a practice time.
- Once you obtain a practice time, please contact the school office for the assigned practice to inquire about any special gym/school entry instructions. (i.e. school events).
- There is no practice if the school is closed for any reason.
- No Spectators are allowed at practice.
- Practice times will not be issued to teams that are not registered in the 2021-2022 Golden Ball season.
- Masks are required inside all Portland Public Schools. Portland Public Schools is requiring that masks be worn while using their facilities. Players may unmask while participating in play only.Please remember to social distance when possible.
Goldenball Referee Openings
Team registration information for the upcoming 2021-22 season will be posted during the week of October 4.