COVID-19 related information
Learn more about closures and postponements related to the COVID-19 pandemic response.
May 6, 2021
Hello Goldenball Coaches and Team Organizers,
We hope you and your families are managing the Covid-19 pandemic as well as possible. Portland Parks & Recreation and the City of Portland continues to follow the Oregon Health Authority guidelines.
Portland Parks & Recreation is ramping up to offer summer camps and swim lessons at select locations this Summer. The first registration window will begin May 24th. Portland Parks & Recreation is also seeking summer staff, please click on We Are Hiring for summer hire information. For more information on camps, Please check the Portland Parks home page.
Currently, the sports office is working on preliminary plans to offer a couple of youth volleyball clinics later this Summer and a modified Goldenball Youth Basketball Season this next winter. At this time we are working with our Community Centers and Portland Public Schools on gym logistics. When we have additional information of program offerings we will update our page accordingly.
We look forward to programming again and working with all you volunteer coaches!
Portland Parks & Recreation sports staff
Goldenball Basketball Schedules (Grades 3-5)
Goldenball Game Day Reminders
- Arrive at your game site 15 minutes prior to your start time. Game time is forfeit time. We schedule our games every hour and 10 minutes so each site has a full day of games.
- 3rd grade-8th grade may start and end a game with 4 players. High school needs to start with 5 players and can end with 4 players. High School teams must have an adult on the bench (21 and over).
- Check-in with the gym host at your site. They will have a sign-in sheet for coaches.
- The home team is the official book and visiting team must provide an adult to run the score clock. This is for all levels of play.
- Our league is recreational in nature, please remember that you are a role model for your team and spectators.
- Participation rule for 3rd-8th grade: All players must play a full quarter before substitutions can be made. If you have 11 players or more, ie. the 11th player will start the 3rd quarter and play the full quarter before being part of the substitution pool.
- Please remember most of our officials are high school-aged referees. This is their first or second year of officiating and we expect all members of a team to be patient and be a leader in showing good sportsmanship.
- Please read your league rules and coach expectations in your coaches packet. We allow only one coach (the head coach) to stand during games. We allow a maximum of 2 coaches on the bench.