September 17, 2021
Hello Goldenball Coaches and Team Organizers,
Portland Parks and Recreation’s Sports Department is excited to announce the return of a modified Goldenball program. This season we will be focusing on the 3rd – 5th grade boys and girls youth basketball program, with hopes of bringing back the full program next season. We are currently working on registration and league dates. Our Goldenball sports webpage will be updated the week of October 4th. Much of our league’s success comes from dedicated volunteers such as yourself. As we move forward in our coordination for youth basketball there will be some Covid-19 protocols that will impact programming.
The City of Portland is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our employees and community. As part of this commitment, all City employees and volunteers are required to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19. As you know, our Goldenball league practices and plays games within Portland Public School Gymnasiums. Portland Public Schools is also requiring for all rentals, that coaches and spectators be vaccinated. Portland Parks and Recreation employees will be responsible for checking vaccination status. Face masks will be required by everyone, except players and officials on the court.
Portland Parks & Recreation Sports
Mary Ann Thibeault
Goldenball Game Day Reminders
- Arrive at your game site 15 minutes prior to your start time. Game time is forfeit time. We schedule our games every hour and 10 minutes so each site has a full day of games.
- 3rd grade-8th grade may start and end a game with 4 players. High school needs to start with 5 players and can end with 4 players. High School teams must have an adult on the bench (21 and over).
- Check-in with the gym host at your site. They will have a sign-in sheet for coaches.
- The home team is the official book and visiting team must provide an adult to run the score clock. This is for all levels of play.
- Our league is recreational in nature, please remember that you are a role model for your team and spectators.
- Participation rule for 3rd-8th grade: All players must play a full quarter before substitutions can be made. If you have 11 players or more, ie. the 11th player will start the 3rd quarter and play the full quarter before being part of the substitution pool.
- Please remember most of our officials are high school-aged referees. This is their first or second year of officiating and we expect all members of a team to be patient and be a leader in showing good sportsmanship.
- Please read your league rules and coach expectations in your coaches packet. We allow only one coach (the head coach) to stand during games. We allow a maximum of 2 coaches on the bench.