The EAGLE Caddie Scholarship program is a unique internship program aimed at introducing students to all aspects of golf course operation.
The 2020 EAGLE Caddie Scholarship application period is now open.
Deadline for submittal is Friday, May 1, 2020.
The EAGLE Caddie Scholarship program (Early Adventures in Golf for a Lifetime of Enjoyment) is a unique internship program that is a cooperative venture between Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R), The Western Golf Association, and public and private high schools located within the city of Portland, aimed at introducing students to all aspects of golf course operation. Qualified students are paid an hourly wage, receive work credit hours, and have a mentor who monitors their progress. In addition, scholarship opportunities are available from their involvement in our program.
Since 1992, over 80 students have successfully completed college on Evans Scholarships received through PP&R’s EAGLE Caddie program. PP&R is proud of its long standing partnership with the Evans Foundation and continues to support youth the EAGLE Caddie Program.
EAGLE Caddie Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- Only freshman attending public and private high schools within the *City of Portland are eligible to apply for this three-year program;
- Students who are selected for the program will gain summer employment on the golf course at minimum wage;
- All participants are required to work up to 20 hours a week during the summer; with potential for spring and fall hours (weather permitting)
- Must have good attendance in school;
- Must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5;
- Must come from a financially disadvantaged family;
- Must go into the EAGLE Caddie Scholarship program with the expectation of completion; and
- Must submittwo (2) letters of recommendation from a school counselor and/or teacher.
A history of interest in the game of golf is not required. EAGLE Caddie Scholarship program participants successfully completing the program become eligible to apply and compete for an Evans Scholarships. This scholarship provides college tuition and housing at the University of Oregon and may be renewed for up to four years. The scholarship is valued at more than $100,000.
If you are interested in applying for the EAGLE Caddie Scholarship program, please CLICK HERE to fill out a "Request for EAGLE Caddie Scholarship Application Materials". If you have questions, please contact Carolyn Lee at email@example.com or 503-823-5076.
Evans Scholarships are supported by the Western Golf Association, and valued at more than $100,000 over four years. The requirements for an Evans Scholar are based on financial need, good citizenship and being a top student and caddie.
*Students who attend high schools that are not located within the city of Portland can contact the following golf courses about their caddie programs: Columbia Edgewater Country Club, Oswego Lake Country Club in Lake Oswego, Portland Golf Club, Riverside Golf & Country Club, Rock Creek Country Club, Royal Oak Country Club in Vancouver, and Waverley Country Club.