COVID-19 related information
Learn more about closures and postponements related to the COVID-19 pandemic response.
Northgate Park ADA Improvements
Portland Parks & Recreation is beginning work on Northgate Park improvements that will provide better access for all Portlanders. To remediate barriers identified in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Transition Plan, the project will replace pathways, drinking fountains, picnic tables, benches; make restroom improvements, spectating improvements for the SE backstop/dugouts; and remove the NW backstop/dugouts.
April 2022 Update
Phase Two of the project is under way. Construction fencing will be placed around the playground area in the south portion of the park the week of April 25th 2022. Portions of the park that were closed during construction will continue to slowly open to the public, primarily in the northwest and west portion of the park.
During construction, access to the park is best from N. Fessenden St. To access the Park from the south, the entrance on N. McKenna Ave is open and accessible to the public.
We were able to keep the playground open to the public for the majority of the project, though this phase will require it to be closed due to the proximity of the work to the playground. We are estimating construction to be completed in June of 2022.
October 2021 Update
Construction on Northgate Park ADA Improvements will begin in October 2021. During construction, fencing will be placed around the worksite. There will be restricted access to some amenities from Fall 2021 to Spring 2022.
- The soccer/rugby/football fields will be playable during the entire duration of construction. The parking lot will be closed and users will need to access the fields from the north side of the park, from Fessenden.
- ADA barriers were identified in each of the ballfields and backstops. The NW backstop will be removed and this removal will allow more room for sports fields (soccer, rugby, football, ultimate, etc.) at Northgate Park. The SE backstop and dugouts of the baseball/softball fields are being renovated to provide wider fence openings, new benches, new asphalt pathways to dugouts. The project is being completed in two phases: the first phase work includes the removal of the NW backstop and dugouts, and the second phase work includes the improvements to the SE backstop and dugouts. We do not currently have dates for each phase. Updates will be provided on this page.
- Please call our PP&R Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525 if you would like to check the availability and/or reserve a Northgate Park field.
August 2021 Update
Construction on Northgate Park ADA Improvements will begin in September 2021. During construction, fencing will be placed around the work site. We look forward to bringing you a new and improved Northgate Park. There will be restricted access to some amenities from Fall 2021 to Spring 2022.
February 2021 Update
On February 4, 2021, crews will conduct geotechnical drilling in the park. This work will take several hours to complete. Please use caution during this time. Work zones throughout the park will be marked by safety cones and there will be crews on hand to ensure public safety.
The drilling is the first step in replacing pathways, drinking fountains, picnic tables, benches, restroom improvements, and spectating improvements for ballfields in order to remediate barriers as identified in the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Transition Plan. Construction on these improvements is expected to begin by fall 2021.
Questions? Please contact Odalis Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-730-0705.
- Parking lot
- 1 designated parking space
- Paved pathway to play area
- 500 feet to play area
- Engineered mulch surface
- Ramp into play area
- Sensory play elements
- Accessible restroom
- Accessible picnic table
- Accessible spray feature