Portland, OR - Come plant new park trees, enjoy family-friendly activities for all ages and abilities, ride in the bucket truck high above the canopy, and much more, as we celebrate all things about trees.
WHAT: Portland Arbor Day 2023- Celebrate Trees and Fall with Art, Games, Food, and More!
WHEN: Saturday, October 14, 2023
WHERE: McCoy Park, N. Trenton and N. Newman, Portland
- Yard Tree Giveaway 8:30 am-1:30 pm (Pre-register here)
- Tree Planting (16 new park trees!) 10:00 am-12:00 pm (Register here)
- Free activities, arts and crafts, celebration 11:30 am-1:30 pm
Trees work hard for our community and provide tremendous services and benefits for the environment, for people, and wildlife. They produce oxygen and help clean our air; trees keep neighborhoods cooler, shade our parks, improve our mental and physical well-being, offer habitat for nature, and so much more. Let’s plant more of them and show our love for trees.
- Kick off tree planting season at 10:00 am with other volunteers by planting trees in the park. Please register for tree planting in advance. No experience necessary.
- Have fun with free bucket truck rides high above the ground, face painting, and other family-friendly crafts and activities.
- Participate in the Arbor Day celebration and recognition for a Bill Naito Community Trees Award from 12:00 pm to 12:30 pm. City Forester Jenn Cairo will welcome participants and PP&R Commissioner Dan Ryan will speak.
Free and fun activities!
- Decorate tree necklaces and fun activity sheets.
- Take home stickers, leaf art, and buttons to share with friends.
- Enjoy food, crafts, and games. Fun for the whole family!
Vendors at Arbor Day include:
- Tacos by Charro’s Street Tacos
- Samosas and Mandazi by Amir's Motherland Dish
- Face painting by Mystique's Fancy Faces
- Storytime with Nikki Brown Clown
This Arbor Day we are collaborating with the Bureau’s Yard Tree Giveaway team to distribute over 100 free trees (out of 2,000 this year) at the celebration. Be sure to sign up in advance to receive one.
For details about Portland Arbor Day 2023, please visit Portland Arbor Day 2023 | Portland.gov.
The mission of PP&R’s Urban Forestry department is to manage and care for Portland's forest infrastructure in the city, for current and future generations. Our urban forest consists of 220,000 street trees, 1.2 million park trees, and about 2.9 million private property trees. Urban Forestry is involved in managing or regulating these trees to differing degrees – creating and implementing the City's Urban Forest Management Plan, fostering community tree awareness and stewardship, developing tree policies and programs, monitoring and assessing the urban forest, issuing permits for planting, pruning, and removal of public and some private trees, and responding to tree emergencies.