Free Summer Movies, Concerts, Swimming Lessons, Supervised Playground Programs and Lunch Sites in Portland parks across the City
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R)’s Summer Free For All, the wildly popular annual series of free outdoor concerts, movies, playground programs and more, is back for an exhilarating 2014 season. Summer Free For All is one of Portland’s most anticipated, innovative, and FREE annual activities.
Beginning in late June, Summer Free For All highlights include PP&R’s 56 nights of free Movies in the Park, 57 free Concerts in the Park, eight straight days of the free Washington Park Summer Festival, and 48 sites for the Summer Lunch and Playground program. Last year PP&R served more than110,000 free, healthy lunches to kids in our parks across the city. The Summer Lunch and Playground program is accompanied by sports, games, crafts and family activities, including our rock climbing wall.
All Summer Free For All schedules are online at www.PortlandOregon.gov/parks/freesummer.
To better serve Portland’s diverse communities, PP&R translated the Summer Free For All schedule into seven different languages this year: Spanish, simplified Chinese, Vietnamese, Russian, Somalian, Burmese and Nepalese. Foreign-language schedules are available online here.
Stay up to date and follow #SFFA on both www.Facebook.com/PortlandParks
and on Twitter @PDXParksandRec
“The variety of Summer Free For All opportunities offered is outstanding,” says Portland Parks Commissioner Amanda Fritz. “I’m delighted that PP&R is once again bringing these much-anticipated activities to all areas of town at no cost to participants. I look forward to seeing and talking with neighbors at dozens of Summer Free For All events.”
“Summer Free For All shows the giving spirit that’s made Portland great,” says Nick Hardigg, Executive Director of the non-profit Portland Parks Foundation. “Communities have pitched in to fund these great movies, concerts, games, crafts and free healthy lunches, all across Portland. They make life better for all of us.”
Unique events this summer include:
- A special movie presentation of Frozen - the sing-along version! Kids and parents will LOVE this. August 22 at Laurelhurst Park
- Numerous foreign-language movies with English subtitles, including films in Czech, German, Spanish, and two movies in Russian - plus a film produced in South Africa.
- World-renowned performances at the Washington Park Summer Festival including internationally acclaimed opera singer Angela Meade, Portland Taiko's 20th anniversary performance, jazz icon Nancy King, and much more over eight straight days.
- A special Concerts in the Park showing of Dina y los Rumberos- vibrant, energetic Cuban music – July 20 at Denorval Unthank Park
- A pirate party! See “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl”
July 19 at Laurelhurst Park. This event features a pirate band and other pirate fun. We encourage everyone to dress up in their best pirate costume!
- Many Concerts in the Park performances feature Latino, African, Russian and other culturally diverse music.
- The Director Park Summer Free For All series of concerts and performances
Summer Free For All is presented by Portland Parks & Recreation, dozens of valued community sponsors, and our fundraising partner, the Portland Parks Foundation. To donate to specific programs, including the Summer Free For All, or for general contributions, please visit http://www.parklandia.org/
Summer Free For All Facts:
In addition to our valued sponsors, Summer Free For All is made possible by the City of Portland and by our heroic neighborhood partners – grassroots committees across the City support a full one-third of the Movies in the Park program, as well as mostof the Concerts in the Park series.
Summer Playgrounds & Lunch:
48 playground sites in 2014
57 outdoor concerts in 2014
Movies in the Parks:
56 events on tap for 2014
Rock Climbing Wall:
106 rock climbing sites set for 2014
2014 Free Aquatic Events
- Free Learn to Swim Week – Monday through Thursday, June 17-20
(4 days – Free swim lessons)
A special four-day session of free swim lessons from Portland Parks & Recreation Aquatics. Walk-in registration only on Saturday, June 14 from 8am to 11:30am at your neighborhood pool. Arrive early because classes fill quickly!
- Free Open Play Swims on select days as indicated below
from June 17-August 29