Join Hands on Portland to improve trails and care for plants!
Join Hands On Portland and Portland Parks & Recreation to improve trails and care for plants on Powell Butte. Trail work helps to keep trails safe and useful for hikers, bird watchers, bikers and horseback riders. Plant care helps native plants to survive through hot summer months. Wear long thick pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and sturdy shoes. Bring a water bottle, rain gear, and sunhat. Instruction, tools, gloves, water, snacks, and coffee/tea provided. (Note: Provided items list may be modified due to concerns over Covid-19; as an RSVP’ed volunteer, you will be sent updated information before the event.) Trailwork participants should be at least 8 years old and accompanied by an attentive adult. (Participants unaccompanied by an adult should be at least 14 years old.) Trailwork volunteers will be walking up to 5 miles during the event, so arrive before 9:00 AM to make sure you meet up with the group. Plant care volunteers will stay near the visitor’s center. All ages welcome for plant care event, and no experience necessary!
Meet at: Main Entrance, south of Powell Blvd. (Hwy 26 East) on SE 162nd. 16160 SE Powell Blvd. Turn south onto SE 162nd from Powell Blvd. and follow the entrance road to the visitor’s center and parking lot at the top of the Butte. Follow event signs to the parking area.
Tri-met bus: # 9. (SE 162nd St. stop)
Bike/Walkon the Springwater Corridor trail: www.PortlandOregon.gov/parks/springwatermap.
RSVP to Hands On Portland for both plant care and trail work projects: https://www.handsonportland.org/
For more information contact Susan: 503.823.5937 or email@example.com. Day of event text/call Lucy: 503.314.0347 or Susan: 503.823.5937.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering to keep Portland's natural area parks healthy, beautiful, and safe for people and wildlife!
Here are a few tips to get you ready for your next stewardship event.
- While most stewardship events do not require an RSVP, please check the description to make sure that advanced registration is not required.
- PP&R staff or the partner group liaison will be on site to greet you and will provide gloves, tools, training for the day's activity, and a snack to keep you going.
- In order to ensure your comfort and safety, please remember to dress for the weather, wear close-toed shoes, bring a water bottle, and be ready to get dirty!
- Unless otherwise noted, all events are family friendly and all ages are welcome to participate. However, children must be accompanied and supervised by an adult for the duration of the event.
- While groups are welcome to join many of our regularly scheduled stewardship events, please contact the event coordinator listed in the description before arriving with a large group. This will ensure that there are enough gloves and tools for everyone to work. We are also available to schedule special service events at your group's convenience during the week or on weekends. Learn more about programs for groups.