COVID-19 related information
Learn more about closures and postponements related to the COVID-19 pandemic response.
Walker Stadium Project
In March 2015, Rose City Baseball, LLC, Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R), and the Portland Development Commission (PDC) announced that baseball is returning to the City of Portland with a new college wood-bat team based in east Portland. The City and the Great West League partnered to bring Portland’s new baseball team, the Portland Pickles, to Walker Stadium in PP&R’s Lents Park.
The new Walker Stadium has a capacity of 1,500, including group event areas. The stadium in PP&R’s Lents Park was constructed in 1956. It is located within easy reach of mass transit and major freeways. Walker Stadium caters to fans’ enjoyment of professional-style baseball with amenities including multiple concession stands, a playground and group event areas.
The Pickles play thirty home games per sixty game season. The team pays rent to the City, cleans the stadium, and provides security during games. Outside of the dates set aside for the team, the stadium is open for permitted play by anyone who reserves it.
- July – September 2015 – Field improvements-grading, irrigation and grass seeding began.
- August 2015 – Spring 2016 – Stadium renovations were completed: removed condemned bleachers and press box, installed new field level bleachers, group event area, team offices, new viewing platforms and press box, new dugouts, backstop and field fencing, children’s play area and scoreboard.
- Summer 2016 - The field improvements were completed, and the Pickles had their first season in summer of 2016.
Portland Pickles Baseball
The Portland Pickles are a collegiate wood bat baseball team based in Portland, Oregon. They play in the South Division of the West Coast League, a premier collegiate summer baseball league based in the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia. The Pickles play their home games at Walker Stadium in Portland's Lents Park.
The stadium was named after Charles B. Walker. From 1930-1934, he supervised playground softball teams as a playground leader and in 1934, organized the first industrial and commercial softball leagues. In 1935, he was appointed as the city's first Sports Director. From 1944-45, Walker served as an American Red Cross Field Director in Germany. Upon his return from the war, he helped organize the first men's and women's softball tourneys ever held west of the Mississippi. In 1950, he was appointed as the commissioner of the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) for the Portland Metro area. He also served as the Pacific Coast Vice-President of the ASA. He retired from the Parks Bureau in 1969 after 40 years of dedication and service to the game of softball.