Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R)’s Legacy Giving Program provides a meaningful way for individuals and community members to recognize milestones, celebrate events, or honor loved ones while enhancing Portland’s park system.
Contributions to PP&R’s Legacy Giving Program are fully tax-deductible, and payment can be made via check or credit card. Donors will receive a tax receipt upon site approval and payment.
Currently, PP&R offers two choices of legacy giving opportunities:
- Rose Bed Program
- Bench Program (Bench application window has closed for 2024. Check back in January 2025.)
Rose Bed Program
Celebrate a milestone, or honor loved ones with a gift to the Rose Garden! Donations to the Rose Bed Program support the ongoing care and maintenance of the International Rose Test Garden in PP&R’s Washington Park.
Your donation will be recognized with a personalized placard, placed in the Rose Garden for three years.
- Placards are 3 x 4 inches (50 characters max)
- Specific placard locations are determined by PP&R staff. We will provide donors with a map showing placard location.
If you have questions about the program, please call 503-312-2299 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations to the Bench Program support the installation, refurbishment, and ongoing maintenance of benches in Portland parks.
- $7,500 – New Bench: includes installation and basic maintenance of a new park bench in a Portland Parks & Recreation park for ten years. New benches are limited to PP&R locations where staff have identified a need to place one.
- $5,000 – Refurbished Bench: includes refurbishment and basic maintenance of an existing park bench for ten years.
- $5,000 – Donation Renewal: includes refurbishment and basic maintenance of a dedicated park bench for an additional ten years.
In recognition of donations to the Bench Program, PP&R will install a plaque at the donor’s selected bench. The plaque is a separate cost, which may be ordered through an outside vendor. Plaques must meet PP&R specifications. Typical plaque costs range from $175 - $300. Plaques remain at dedicated benches for ten years, with the option to renew donations for an additional decade of care.
- Plaques are 5 x 8 inches, Bronze (character count may vary depending on vendor)
Browse a map of the available park benches in the PP&R system here. PP&R staff will work with donors to confirm bench selections. We appreciate your interest!
At this time, new park benches cannot be considered at:
- Council Crest Park
- Gabriel Park
- Laurelhurst Park
- Mt. Tabor Park
- Washington Park
- International Rose Test Garden
PP&R natural areas and trails are no longer included in the Legacy Bench Program. Benches in natural areas are not installed in concrete, so there is no place to securely install a plaque. PP&R no longer allows plaques affixed to benches due to the increased risk of theft and vandalism.
The application window for 2024 has closed. Please check back in January 2025.
Applications are received annually starting on January 2. PP&R will accept the first 15 applications each year, and ten additional applications for our waitlist. The application window will close after 25 applications are received, or on March 31, whichever comes first. Donations must be received by May 31. Bench installations and refurbishments are completed throughout the year in the order that donations are received.
If you have questions about the program, please e-mail email@example.com.